Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Olin Corp. announced Wednesday that it will suspend production of centerfire ammunition at its plant in East Alton and re-locate the manufacturing operation to Oxford, Miss.

The move comes less than 24 hours after members of the union representing over Olin 800 workers rejected concessions that would have allowed them to keep their jobs.

"Our focus always has been on ensuring that we continue producing high-quality products for our customers in an increasingly competitive market," president and CEO Joseph D. Rupp said in a prepared statement.

"While I am disappointed that employees represented by the International Association of Machinists chose to reject a proposal that would have allowed us to remain competitive in East Alton, we look forward to expanding our existing operations in Mississippi."

East Alton's second-largest employer, Olin manufactures the centerfire ammunition line for firearms sold under the Winchester brand.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/columns/job-watch/article_b01e72be...

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how the workers feel about their union bosses bout now?

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yet I bet the cost of ammo remains the same or goes up.

Last edited by RAS2; 11/03/10.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Unions have been wrecking Illinois for 20 or more years, they just don't believe they have to do anything to keep jobs there.

Their loss and MS gain.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That'll teach em.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shreck
I wonder how the workers feel about their union bosses bout now?

If you read the related article written on October 18 after the union vote, it says that the concessions that the workers rejected were agreed upon by union leadership and Olin's management. Apparently, the rank and file were not willing to accept the concessions that their leadership deemed necessary to keep Olin in Illinois. It was the rank and file that cut their own throats...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
over Olin 800 [b]workers rejected[/b] concessions that would have allowed them to keep their jobs.

proposal that would have allowed us to remain competitive in East Alton,

I have heard the same thing many times when a Union is involved. I have seen Copper Mines in AZ close down and move out of State. I have seen small manufacturing companies simply not able to comply with what the Unions want and still make a profit.

Union members would be better served if the Unions would use a little more business sense when they hold out for the impossible.

My own personal experience many years ago was one day a couple of Union guys show up at the jobsite and TELL me that my workers wanted to be Union. I told the Union men that this is a private business created solely by me with no ones money, sweat or input but my own. The Union guys were getting a little cocky with their talk so I simply told them.... look! This is HOW IT IS GOING to be No Johnny come lately is going to force me to open a Union shop. I told them, you can try, but the end result will be these guys (my help)will be unemployed and I will shut this business down right now.
I will reopen tomorrow with all new people. Yes, they have the right to collective bargaining, I HAVE the right to terminate anyone I want with some pretty feeble reasons
I then told the Union guys to get off of my job site as I owned the land. If you want to chat with my people, do it off of my property on their time,not mine.
End of story was when my guys told the Union to shove off as I was already paying them better than the Union would get them. I loved that part.

Last edited by Ruger 4570; 11/03/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T LEE
Unions have been wrecking Illinois for 20 or more years, they just don't believe they have to do anything to keep jobs there.

Their loss and MS gain.

WOOHOOOO bring on down here Olin. grin grin

D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
So they will go to Mississippi. It will be interesting if the company will pay a living wage there. Bet there will be a lot of minimum wage jobs.

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
They already have a plant here and pay competitive wages.

IC B3

D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What is competitive wages?

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They could have gone to Mexico and saved themselves piles of government red tape. At least they're trying to keep it in the US.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe the union will decide they are serious and come back to the table. I'd think intelligent members would at least insist on that.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/03/10.

1Minute
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dew
So they will go to Mississippi. It will be interesting if the company will pay a living wage there. Bet there will be a lot of minimum wage jobs.

I hope and pray they pay a living wage!

Yes, just another union taking all it can and then bailing.
ANd yes the price will still go up
Or the "serving size " will be reduced.
Like a 12 oz can of coffee, a box of 30-06's now might be 16 rounds!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bull
They already have a plant here and pay competitive wages.

Bingo!

I feel sorry for the families of those Illinois union people. This is probably gonna hurt a lot.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
another union victory.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I am surprised obumble hasn't sent his hitman Rahm Emanual to convince them not to move....

Tony

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Mercury Marine did the same thing a year or two ago. Said they were going to move from Fondulac, WI to Ok, if the union voted "NO" to the new contract.

Union tried to call the bluff of Merc. and Merc gave them a few months and said then we're moving.

The unioin workers begged and pleaded (so the media saysa) for their jobs back and said they were mis represented.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dew

I'd wager that they are enough to live on in MS... maybe not enough that every man, woman and child has an RV, travel trailer, 4 wheeler, golf cart, boat, motorhome and vacation house though....

Whats competitive to ya anyway? I make less than 15 an hour in a job that should pay much more, but I hate cities so work rural... I don't have any issues making ends meet.

Unions continue to screw the country and their own.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Dew

Whats competitive to ya anyway? I make less than 15 an hour in a job that should pay much more, but I hate cities so work rural... I don't have any issues making ends meet.

very true......my house costs less than a decked out 1 ton pickup.....i make less than what i would in a big city but it also costs less to live here.....you can live comfortably here, have a house, new car and boat when the same wage in a metro area would make it hard to put food on the table....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,364
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.