-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just picked up a 1953 FN Browning A-5 in very good condition and I was wondering about the value of the gun? I paid $100 for it, which I knew was a good deal just not sure how much of one.

Any thing unique I should know about this shotgun before I start shooting it?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man, I hate to tell ya, they saw you coming. You got taken for a ride and over paid about $25 for that old mule. Just to make you feel better I will give you your money back plus $50!

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Condition and configuration are very important, and you've told us almost nothing. So presently it's worthless.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any A5 is worth at least $100 unless it was burned in a fire, run over by a street roller, etc.

Condition of original metal and wood are VERY important. Also important are choke, barrel length, Vent Rib, alterations, etc.

Give us some more details or better yet pictures.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry for the lack of pictures guys. The gun has a 28" barrel, no vent rib, and I can't find a choke designation stamped on it. It is marked "Acier Special" and is a 2 3/4" chamber. As far as I can tell the wood is all original. Small surface scratch on the buttstock. Bluing is very good-excellent except for on the bottom of the barrel where there are some rub marks from the barrel sliding back and forth when shot. I'll try and take some decent pics when I get home.

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe a single asterisk * on the barrel represents Full choke.

I assume 12 ga.?

Sounds like a plain Jane Auto-V, that configuration may have been the most common. Regardless, they are fantastic guns, and built like a Swiss tank. Your $100 was a steal. Even $300 would be a decent price.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Good find!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SamSteele
I just picked up a 1953 FN Browning A-5 in very good condition and I was wondering about the value of the gun? I paid $100 for it, which I knew was a good deal just not sure how much of one.

Any thing unique I should know about this shotgun before I start shooting it?

SS
Yeah.. Remove the cap, fore-end and barrel. Check the friction piece, spring and rings.. Ensure they're in good condition and the gaps on the friction piece/spring are NOT aligned.. Clean the magazine tube and lightly lube with machine oil before reassembly.. After it's back together, check the receiver face and barrel extention.. They should be mated. If the extension protrudes from the receiver face, you most likely will get misfires until corrected.. A suitably sized O-ring placed between the fore-end wood and the barrel shroud will bring it back into place..

Have fun.. Ya did good.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Oil it once in a while as instructed by redneck then shoot the [bleep] out of it.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If it cycles fine with high vel loads but doesn't with target loads, simply reverse the brass friction ring. Switch it back when going back to "high brass" loads. Good advice above re: lubing it. Keep it cleaned and properly lubed and it will never stutter. Good buy!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey guys. I finally got a chance to take the A-5 to the range and run some loads through it. It fires just fine, but it doesn't kick out the empty. Am I looking at an ejector issue here or would a good cleaning fix it up?

ETA: I tried field and target loads and neither one would kick out the empty.

SS

Last edited by SamSteele; 08/07/11.

-Henry Van Dyke
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It's been a while since i've had mine apart. The A-5s have a what they call a friction ring, that is reversed when you are shooting low brass loads. When you take the forend off it is easy to see, a metal ring, about the size off an O-ring. Do'nt know if that is your problem.

T
T
I am guessing you are shooting a pretty light load? more than likely you need to take off the forend and adjust the rings to your load. You will likely find these same instructions on a label in the forend when you remove it. adding a light coating of oil to the magazine tube while you are in there won't hurt either.

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=105

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And don't forget to ensure, upon reassembly, that you do NOT line up the gaps in the rings.. The gap on one should be opposite the gap on the other..

Also, ensure you oil/lube the magazine tube's exterior where the mainspring and collars ride - in order to function correctly, it needs to be lubed..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,152
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.