-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Q for the combined wisdom of the 'Fire-- What're good materials for the significant antennae of crayfish?

How long are they on little 2-inch real fellas?

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I tie shrimp flies, which could easily be made to look like crayfish with the proper colors, you could use 2 pieces of 1.5" #50 mono with the tips burned, then color the ball with a black sharpie, then dip in epoxy....

or what I prefer to do is to buy already prepared mono antennae, they come in black, brown, and red tops. The red top might work nicely for the crayfish.

In addition to the mono anntennae, I also use a couple of black or mottled peccary hairs in the front.

BTW, I know a guy that ties the most amazing shrimp flies, some patterns I've seen look like a perfect crayfish. He owns a fly shop and would be happy to tie up a few examples. I think he charges about $5 a fly. It might be worth it to get some new ideas. His name is Drew Moy and his shop is called Tightlines Fly Shop in NJ.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use a clump of Ringneck Pheasant tail. Tie it in by the bases then wrap a fig 8 with the thread to divide the clump into a "V" shape. On a two inch crawfish I would use eight to ten fibres equally divided approx 3/4 of an inch long. I guess starting length would be roughly an inch. You can either tie aknot at the end of each clump or just touch the clumps with a dab of Flexament about 1/8th to 1/4 inch from the tips. This leaves the antennea flexable enough to wave in the current but gives them the right shape.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oooh, oooh, oooh! I just remembered that I have a few of Swisher's Incredible Legs!
I just tied on a set as antennae. These might be the cray's meow! (Pic later.)

(But, thanks for the suggestions. More welcome, in case my peabrainstorm fails.)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep those would work real nice.
Sili-Legs would also do the trick.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had considered standard legs but feared them too droopy. This cray faces backwards- I want to avoid fouling around the bend. The Incredible Legs have the support to keep the rear of the antennae poking outward. This might be my ticket.

The original recipe calls for 1/2 - 3/4" of boar bristle butt ends. But they seem too short, much too stiff, and too invisibly thin for my [admittedly uneducated] taste.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
http://www.clouserflyfishing.com/clouscraywit.html

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=37174331

Look at Bob Clouser's cray fish pattern. I use it a lot for bass, carp and trout. Very effective and simple to tie

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here're the regular and one with Incredible Legs-
[Linked Image]

I only had brown Legs on hand. Olive or tan might be more realistic.
And they might be a touch too long, as purchased.
It's been 35 years since my days of catching crays- my memories of color, size, etc., have faded.
Nonetheless, these flies should do the job!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I rummaged through the rubber box, found some of medium thickness. It's not as droopy as I'd feared, at least within a certain length. It works, but I like the positive projection of the Incredible Legs better.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Those are some very cool crawfish.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Those crayfish look great! Sometimes I wish there were some up here so I could have a logical reason to tie crayfish patterns.
Swinging through the water, the rubber legs tend to slick back very close to each other. Admittedly, I have never tied a crayfish pattern. I do however, use a lot of rubber legs and I find tying them to stick out at an exaggerated angle, or nearly perpendicular to the shank makes for some great action when they are moving through the water.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like peacock herl, it works well and has a little bit of movement

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't think peacock herl would last very long, it's too delicate. I also think antennea on a crawfish pattern isn't needed for fishing, only on an exhibition fly. Mono works well and lasts, a stripped hackle feather stem works if you're trying to go all natural.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just back in town...

AK, the Incredible Legs have basal reinforcement, hold themselves out. A bit pricey, perhaps, but...
No crawdads up north? Paradise, my arse! grin

Peacock sounds fragile to me, too. OK on a quick tie, but.

Yeah, might be gilding the lilly. But they do add a nice effect.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (10Glocks, anothergun, BB3, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 634 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,514
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.