-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
After reading the latest sales Cameraland posted, I felt it was time to purchase a new scope for my Rem model 7 (7mm SAUM). After talking to Doug on the phone I bought the Leica 2.5x10x42 and am anxiously waiting on the Fedex truck. During this wait I've been contemplating if I should mount this fine optic on my Rem 700 300 Win Mag instead. The dimensions are perfect for the mod 7, but the 300 is also crying for new upgrades. The 300 currently has a Leupy 6.5x20x40 and has been used for beanfields and picked cornfields. What is the thoughts of this board on which rifle to mount this scope on? Also both rifles currently have Leupold bases. Anybody know what 30mm rings I'll have to get for this scope and keep it as low as possible?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll go ahead and say it:

Get a Leica for both!

(and sell me the leupy cheap!)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
03: I would put it on the SAUM.Sweet scope, I suspect cause leica sells good stuff,and I am a sap for a good "anything" chambered for a 7mm,which is what I'd use the most.....you have the 300 running good right now.

I have Schmidt Bender Summit and it lives on a 7 Rem Mag.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I would mount the Leica on the rifle you hunt with the most or sell the Leupy and buy another Leica. Awesome scope, enjoy.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I went ahead and mounted the Leica on the 7 SAUM. It was the rifle I origionaly bought the scope for and it really looks good on it. I got the Leica #1 retical which is the one with the very heavy pointed post and horizantal bar. It is exactly what I was looking for as most of my hunting starts.at last light. Hopefully it will give me the pinpoint long range accuracy using the tip of the post during daylight hours with hunting accuracy during very low light at short distance. Kudos to Doug at Cameraland for the spot on recomendations! I'll give them more of my business when I get ready to replace my current scope on my 35 Whelen. You can't beat the savings on their demos. Now off to pay for this thing. Thanks to all for responding. GUNS OUT

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
We will require an in-depth review of that scope once you have wrung it out.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Here's my initial thoughts, post mounting/ pre fireing. The 30mm rings I used were the Leupold Med height. There's roughly about 1/4 inch clearance between the bbl and objective lense with. 1/8 inch or slightly less clearance between the bolt and eyebox. I probably could have went with high rings to give more clearance between the bolt and eyebox, but as it is, everything clears. The added room with high rings might be better with a gloved hand cycling the bolt but the med height lines up very well for me. The length of the scope in in perfect proportion to the rifle itself keeping in mind the Mod 7's size. It doesn't look too long for the rifle, nor too wide. I particularly like the rubber accents to the aluminum turrent caps. The reticle is described as my previous post. Will have to do some research and see if anyone has some indepth knowledge employing this reticle other than the obvious low light characteristics. Anyone out there have experience using this? I really like the pointed vertical tip. Kinda reminds me of the Washington Monument, how pronounced it is and being able to see it in all light scenarios. Wondering with all that black inside (reticle) if that's going to reduce low light performance in any way. With a setting of 2.5x, I can see the cat playing inside the house at a distance of 2 yards easy, with very good clarity and no bbl in the picture. At 10x I can look across the xmas tree field into the neighbors yard at approx 750 yards and see their black labs easily. The pointed retical has the sharpness I need to gain a very good sight picture at that distance. So far, a very clear bright scope allowing me to see the finer details during the day with the low light capabilities I needed. Expensive yes, but so far seems worth it to me.

Dub Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by slm9s
I'll go ahead and say it:

Get a Leica for both!

(and sell me the leupy cheap!)

Premium glass is gonna spoil you to do this very thing!!!!

Bob Lee Swagger for President
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I took the rifle to the range today and sighted the new scope in. I was wondering how I was going to utilize the pointed vert post as I normally shoot at 1 inch black pasties placed onto copying paper. I bisect the standard crosshairs with one of the lower corners of the 1 inch pasties. This gives me a very precise, contrasty sight picture and Its easy to adjust the scope due to the 1 inch reference point. Anyways, I just placed the vert post at the lower right corner of the pastie and fired 3 shots. That group was my first group fired with the leica and even though it was with known reloads, I shot a pretty group at 100 yards in front of non range members who were there for deer hunters" sight in days". Exactly 1 inch above the bottom right corner of that pastie was a group measuring .368". Normally when I shoot a group like that, I have no witnesses! So far, the Leica with the #1 reticle seems to be very accurate off the bench. The broad crosshair is very fast to aquire, and is easy to see in low light. My only regrets so far is not buying the model with the quick elevation knob to dial in longer ranges. Still in sticker shock but the more I play with the leica,the bigger the smile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
can you take a pic of the reticle throught the scope

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
SAKO75, sorry I don't know how to post pics on this site. I'm working off a blackberry. I did get pictures, I could email them to you if you'd like or you could Google LEICA-CameraLand NY. On that page scroll down to the Leica reticle link. See the Leica #1. The pics really don't do justice on how sharp the vert post is. GUNS OUT

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,347
Posts18,526,961
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.