Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Another tribute to Redmist, a part time UK rifle smith, for working some magic with a T695 donor action, and coming up with exactly what I had in mind from the outset; which was a traditional calibre stalking rifle made from modern and above all practical materials, which may be used anywhere I get the opportunity.

As stated it is a Tikka M695 action, 'trued' as much as a Tikka ever needs, which consisted of evening up the bolt lugs, and then the cosmetics of fluting and a bolt knob courtesy of 'Dasherman'.

The original barrel was removed and replaced with a LW 1400 profile C/M 1:9 twist, chambered for .275 Rigby HV, finished at 22", threaded ( in case I ever want to moderate the rifle) and an 'invisible' cap made to complete the barrel.

The original wood stock went off to someone else for a build, and it was replaced with a McM Sako Hunter pattern, in 33/33/33 Dark Brown/Black/Midbrown to give the "McWoody" appearance you see.

It was proofed at Birmingham, and then sent for blueing the barrel and action, which turned out very well IMHO, and makes a change from the Duracoated rifles already in the cabinet. The S & B Zenith 3 -12x50 is sitting in a pair of Optilocks for the time being, awaiting an Alphamount from Richard Near, which may be in Santas sack, ( I hope).

I had it out this afternoon for a first run, and it looks promising with 140 Gn NBT over a very moderate load of H414, Fed GM210 primers, RWS brass. I need to do some more work with seating depths to get it as good as I am sure it will shoot, but I have to admit to being impatient to get it shooting, and in any event it already is better than Minute of Roe.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So, Thanks to Redmist for his patience, and painstaking attention to detail, I think this is going to be a Keeper!

Best

Peter

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An absolutely gorgeous rifle. cool cool

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

L
L
Wow nice gun. I just picked up a LH m695 270. Haven't shot it yet. I'll proabably go with a cheaper ring solution than an alphamount for now. What would you all chose between DNZ Huntmasters or Warne Maximas? Is screw in(DNZ) or clamp on(Warne or Optilock) stronger/more accurate? I'll be mounting something similar to the SB Tikka260 has. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beauty! I like the stock finish. Can't comment to the cartridge selection as I've never used one, but I have a 695 chambered to 280 Rem in my safe right now that I am fond of. How much does the McM weigh? My only complaint about my rifle is that it's a tad heavy for what it does. Shoots lights out, however....

Regards and hopes for a prosperous 2012.

Tom

Last edited by tominboise; 12/25/11.

Regards,

Tom
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Very Nice! I really like that stock and your modifications. I have a 695 in 270 that I've hunted with for 12 years. It's been a reliable, great shooting rifle. It started as a plain jane wood/blue which I hunted with for 10 years until I cracked the stock.

[Linked Image]

I then had it cerakoted and bedded in a McM Sako Hunter as well. It doesn't look nearly as nice or cool as yours but it is a tack driver. I'm really fond of the 695's but agree with Tom that they are a tad heavy.

[Linked Image]

Congrats on your rifle, it looks great! If I had it to do over again, I'd do something very similar to yours. Best wishes for 2012!

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
IC B2

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for sharing. GRF

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice build; I look forward to seeing some groups!

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks to Everyone for your continued interest and kind comments, as I thought that this thread had gone into the ether.

A small update, in that Richard NEAR completed the Alphamount during the summer, and it is now installed. This was a prototype for Richard on the 695 action and I can only compliment him on his patience with me and with the project. The result is practical and IMO, elegant. I know that he has one for the 595 action and I believe also for the T3 by now.

As for groups, I don't have any to post, but I shall be testing the existing recipe with Norma brass as a replacement for the RWS that I have been using up to now.

The loads have been H414 @ 47.5 Gns, with Federal GM210M primers, and either 140 Gn NBT or Accubonds. This has been giving 2807 fps with a 10fps ES, and has proved excellent on both Roe Deer and Fallow in UK with minimal meat damage on 'boiler room' shots and DRT with neck shots.

If anyone is interested, I'll post some groups when I get a decent weather day to go to the range for testing.

Best wishes to all for the New Year,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Nice! Is that an optical illusion or does the scope centerline fall below the split in the rings?

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Just Low camera angle.

smile

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 25aught6, 58 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,943
Posts18,519,107
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.