Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Capitalist,
I remember Jan Libourel too; he came later, Jan Stevenson wrote for "Guns" in the 70's, Jan Libourel wrote for American Handgunner, I think, in the 80's to early 90's.

Jan is a fairly common first name in northern Europe, it's the same as "John"(english) or "Jean"(french).

Proud member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
GB1

D
D
Libourel was with Petersen Publishing until he left them for Gun World.
It was Petersen's Handguns, not American Handgunner.
Denis

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What about John Sundra? He turned me onto the Leupold 6X long before others wrote about using a fixed power for hunting. I know he still has an annual gun magazine, but I don't hear that much about him any more.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Does anyone remember Ed Zern - ? His "To Hell With Hunting" was one of my favorites as a kid in the '50s. His several slants on "Didn't know my azz from a hole in the ground.." are still with me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DARBY
Does anyone remember Ed Zern - ? His "To Hell With Hunting" was one of my favorites as a kid in the '50s. His several slants on "Didn't know my azz from a hole in the ground.." are still with me.

Jeeezus you're old wink
Couldn't resist zinging you my friend grin
I think I have read some of his stuff before, the name rings a bell at least.

I was just reading some old gun stuff from 1956 and 1964 this weekend. The Gunner's Bible, and I can't remember the other. Some real neat old info in them. Also just read Nonte & Jurras's book Handgun Hunting.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Zern's "To Hell With Hunting" and "To Hell With Fishing" are classics in the field of outdoor humor. If you haven't read him, do so. Everybody will wonder what you're chuckling about. As funny as McManus in his early days.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
"I didn't know Mass from a shoal in the sound..."

"I didn't know Massa from a Pole in de ground..."

Tom, thanks for reminding me - you now owe me TWO Guinnesses --

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd glady ante up on Guiness with you any day.
Maybe I can skip up the hill one of these days soon again.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
tbear: FEW of the men mentioned here I haven't heard of or read after a fair amount. ALL had something or LOTS to add to guns, handloading, or hunting for me. I'm indebted to them either for entertainment or instruction or both.
Jon Sundra was VERY instrumental in shaping my gun interest and knowledge, especially handloading. I found his writing not so pointed or opinionated but instructional and suggestive about calibers, bullets, and powders. In 1978 he planted seed about the Rem mm's. He suggested that if one was so amind to collect the Rem 5-8 mm's, he wouldn't be badly armed. I LAUGHED at the thot of having so many guns at one time. THANKS TO JRS, over the years I have come to own the Rem. 5mm,6mm,7mmMag,& 8mmMag. They certainly cover a wide spectrum of hunting applications,not necessarily every aspect,ie dangerous game. I APPLAUD & APPRECIATE him and so many others.
John Wooters is another I looked forward to reading, more on hunting than handloading. I found his writing interesting and informative but my experiences differed somewhat in handloading. Nonetheless, he had lots to contribute.
Dr. Howell, Jim Carmichael, let's not forget JB,(not that he's old) and too many to mention have made my life,not necessarily my wife's,richer and happier! THANKS TO ALL OF YOU! An indebted UNKNOWN friend. Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got lots of good info from John Taffin in years past.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gaperry59

But for my money, the most talented was Skeeter Skelton. I've read and re-read his stories, and the book put out by his widow, which fills in some gaps with background material. I feel like he was my best friend, even though he was 40 years older than me and we never met. His gun articles were informative and entertaining and even laugh-out-loud funny. But it's his fiction that really stands out. His relationship and adventures with the fictional Dobe Grant is incomparable to anything in gunwriting. The world has acclaimed The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber by Hemingway as a great short story, but as I see it if Cosmopolitan magazine rather than Shooting Times had published The Golden Spurs of Dobe Grant, then Skeeter Skelton would be a household name and required reading in American literature classes.

Big +1. The "me and Jim" stories were great and the "Jug Johnson" stories hilarious.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Each of the old timers had a ton of experience. We all learned from them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure JB would like to be put in the "Old Writers Club" just yet. I think he has four more years to wait.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite is still Robert Ruark and his "Old Man and the Boy" book. I'm sure there is a mountain of dirt on him, but sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I worshipped O'Connor but must admit that no sporting magazine had a lineup of writers like Field and Stream from the 50's/60's,with the likes of Warren Page, Ted Trueblood,Robert Ruark,and Corey Ford....those not fortunate enough to have read the writings of these folks surely missed out.

I would also add Burton Spiller to the mix.....if his writings on New England grouse hunting do not tug at you,you got no soul....

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/11/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I worshipped O'Connor but must admit that no sporting magazine had a lineup of writers like Field and Stream from the 50's/60's,with the likes of Warren Page, Ted Trueblood,Robert Ruark,and Corey Ford....those not fortunate enough to have read the writings of these folks surely missed out.

I would also add Burton Spiller to the mix.....if his writings on New England grouse hunting do not tug at you,you got no soul....

+1......

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Add "Exit, Laughing," by Ed Zern to that list.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
123:
Yes Ed Zern as well!Good stuff!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe that Gary Sitton was probably my all time favorite.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/mi-amigo-sitton

Open-mindedness is vastly overrated. Arriving at old age with a completely open mind may not be much of a character reference; it might mean you never cared very strongly about anything that ever happened to you.--Gary Sitton

I also like Craig Boddington. He has a tremendous amount of hunting experience.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (673, 450yukon, 06hunter59, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 69sportfury, 21 invisible), 1,339 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,871
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.