-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone see the program cnbc is airing? I was shocked after watching this! Lots of 700's for sale all the sudden. I would be interested in hearing what people on the fire think about this "sticky" subject. I had two model 700's , a BDL in 25.06 ,and a mountain rifle in 30.06. Never had an issue with either one , but eventually sold both before this show began airing. I like vintage levers ,and now shoot a Savage 99 EG in.300, and a Marlin .35 SC. The future of the Remington corporation is in serious jepardy! Your thoughts ,and opinions on this subject would be appeciated. Thanks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone who wants to sell a 700 lefty just drop me a PM!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I would not walk across the street for one myself even before this by 15 years

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Go to Remingtons web site ,to view their rebuttal.It's worth it. BTW, I've owned several 700s over the years,and never ever had an accidental discharge !My go to rifle,is a 700 SPS,in 308 Win.There are two safetys that need to be used when handeling firearms,one is on the firearm,the other is between your ears.If everyone used both safetys,there would never be any accidental discharges ! JMHO

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I will take all your dangerous 700's and give then a safe home.
Heck I will even pay shipping!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was laying prone preparing to shoot a whitetail doe a few years back. I reached up to ease the safety off and KABOOM! Scared the ever livin' out'a me! I stood up, walked back to the pick up,and cased the rifle. I went home and mailed it off that week to a gunsmith to install a Timney trigger/safety. Had not had a problem before or since. However I can honestly say the memory of that rifle going off is in the back of my mind every time I release the safety on any of my Remington 700's. Not real fond of that memory either. I also have not bought another Remington since that happened. Kept the one's I have, but have no plans to buy another.

Is it Friday yet?
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The program was interesting although I take anything shown on tv with a grain of salt. The only true safety is muzzle control. Accidents happen but I'm betting 99% could have been avoided had people practiced some common sense on where they point the rifle. Now they have to live with their mistakes, but are pointing their fingers at Remington instead.

The show didn't bother me much, I prefer a Ruger and we don't have a Remington in the house, save some shotguns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't watched any of the big three stations programing in years, but s far as the Remington 700 BDL is concerned I have one. It's a custom built rifle in 300 Weatherby Mag and yes I did have a problem with the safety and the trigger group and it would accidently fire on occasion. The Problem was not with the barreled action or the trigger group.

The problem was when we built the rifle we did take enough of the wood off the stock on the safety side so the safety wouldn't fully engage. As soon as I removed about an 1/8 of an inch it solved the problem, I haven't had a missfire since.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have my father's old 721 30-06. He told me it fired one time when he took the safety off to unload it. He was holding it by the stock with his hand completely away from the trigger. After I got it, I took it to Jack Belk for a repair. He showed me a loose piece in there that was the culprit - designed that way.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Big Sky
I was laying prone preparing to shoot a whitetail doe a few years back. I reached up to ease the safety off and KABOOM! Scared the ever livin' out'a me! I stood up, walked back to the pick up,and cased the rifle. I went home and mailed it off that week to a gunsmith to install a Timney trigger/safety. Had not had a problem before or since. However I can honestly say the memory of that rifle going off is in the back of my mind every time I release the safety on any of my Remington 700's. Not real fond of that memory either. I also have not bought another Remington since that happened. Kept the one's I have, but have no plans to buy another.

So, you used both safeties and the rifle still AD. There are plenty of excellent rifles for me to buy well before I ever need to buy a Remington. The trigger and I don't care for push feed with my African rifles kept me away from them.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
see to damned dangerous!
Send them to me and I'll lock them safely away! (until I need a rifle)

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Would like some more opinions or actual instances of firing problems. Thanks!

S
S
I have a 700 that was my father in laws that delay fired on his firt hunt. Sent back to factory was told the grease on the firing pin froze. It was 15 degrees.
I got the gun 25 years later it had not be shot after it returned from Remington. I decided to rescope it ran the bolt to make sure it was unloaded. As I closed the bolt it discharge. Lucky I did not have any amno for the rifle. It would fire about 3 out of 4 cycles. Showed it to several people to document. Call Remington they had never heard of such happening, ask for me to send it in. I did so with a letter detailing history and problem. Got the gun back a few weeks later saying the triger had been chaged out. No other comments. Shot one mule deer to complete the guns life, will not be carried again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guy in an office down the hall (non-hunter and knows nothing about guns at all) just wandered in to check to make sure I wasn't using one of them dangerous Remington 700's.

Sigh..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,563
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.