Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It sounds like Lisa Murkowski is trying to get the court to do what happened in FL - ignore election law and use 'voter intent'. In FL, the butterfly ballots clearly stated that the chad had to be completely removed but the court ruled that if the paper was even slightly dimpled, that was a legal vote. In AK, the oval must be filled in, but it appears that the Murkowski gang wants that to be ignored if the name is there.

What good are laws if the politicians an judges able to just throw them out if they're inconvenient?

AK VOTE

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Miller's sued to ensure the law regarding vote ballot vs declared candidate (or something like that) is followed.. I.e., if the write-in's name is misspelled, it gets tossed..

I love it..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sometimes it hurts, but the Rule of Law, with tees crossed and eyes poked is the way it needs to be. Hope Dorkowski gets tossed for the betterment of Washington DC and the world in general.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just hope the T.P. never has Zbigniew Brzezinski in a write-in ballot.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see how it can be considered a vote if the oval isn't filled in. Say if I wanted Miller to have my vote but didn't circle the oval, does he still get my vote? We all know the answer to that question.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just remember that in Florida, it was Gore and the Demos who filed all the lawsuits - and look where it got them.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Miller says they are playing with the election law he is on the list to have write in ballots count but the election officials say they will not count the miller write in votes.
This murkowski is a power hungry biotch. Hit the road Lisa maybe you and Pelosi can share a cab.
If its not close they can't cheat.

Flight Master

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Just remember that in Florida, it was Gore and the Demos who filed all the lawsuits - and look where it got them.

In FL, the SCOTUS had to step in to stop all the illegal stuff because it was an national election. That won't happen in AK because it's a state election.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
didn't vote for Lisa, but am pretty sure she won, I'm thinking if you can't vote correctly you shouldn't be voting or your vote shouldn't count.

will surprise me none if the powers that be see it differently

time to move on

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As long as the write ins are counted in accordance with accepted Alaska practice, and there are no other write in candidates with deceptively similar names, I see no problem with trying to ascertain the intention of the voter rather than automatically disqualifying a ballot because it has an "e" where a "u" should be. It is not the same thing as trying to figure out whether a "hanging chad" expressed an intent. A handwritten ballot expresses actual intent. I have to give Murkowski credit for mounting a write in campaign as a Republican rather than pulling a Crist and going independent so her name would be on the ballot. (If she was ineligible to do that, never mind the preceding sentence.)

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have any problems with this as long as the law is followed. The problem here is that it looks like the law is going to be circumvented.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lisa tried to get on the Ind ticket but they wouldn't have any of it, which is why she ran as a write-in.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I don't see how it can be considered a vote if the oval isn't filled in. Say if I wanted Miller to have my vote but didn't circle the oval, does he still get my vote? We all know the answer to that question.

Somebody among the counters will fill it in for her.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Apparently some people wrote in Joe Miller even though he's on the ballot. They were trying to not count those but they're as legal as Murkowski's name.

― George Orwell

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Thanks ironbender!

If I read that right Joe Miller has a tough road ahead. If a good portion of the write in ballots were cast correctly for Murkowski, including the oval filled in and her name spelled correctly, then it's likely over for Miller. Joe did gain some ground in the absentee vote count but if extrapolated to the remaining absentee votes yet to be counted it won't be near enough. This one might be over without having lawyers on both sides trying to to discern "voter intent" or arguing the spelling of names.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The difference between "write-in" ballots and Joe's count is a huge hurdle to overcome.

The state counted about 27,000 absentee and early votes Tuesday, according to Fenumiai, with Miller gaining on the write-in total by about 2,100 votes. At the end of the day, Miller remained 11,333 behind the write-in total.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2010/11/09/1545716/miller-sues-to-force-exact-spelling.html#ixzz14uCqsykA

I just don't see 11,000 ballots being tossed.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The name has to be spelled correctly also.

[Linked Image from ]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Lisa tried to get on the Ind ticket but they wouldn't have any of it, which is why she ran as a write-in.

Not true. Even the Ind party said she hadn't talked to them.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just reporting what I read and had heard. Are you a member of the Ind party?

Steelhead

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 19 invisible), 14,557 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,985
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.