-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like my Ackley version. 3-shot group is with 225 SGKs over Re-15.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by fremont; 11/06/10. Reason: Added 3-shot group w/ Re-12

Murphy was a grunt.
GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I recently brought a T/C Encore PH frame and I think the first barrel I might try is the 35 Whelen. I, for whatever reason, have become addicted to thinking about pighunting. Mostly nostalgia I suppose. But I think the Whelen would be perfect for that application. On my recent Elk hunting trip I realized that most of the shots that I would have had in the specific area where I was hunting would have been a 250 to 400 yard shot at most. The 35 would have been right at home there in my opinion.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Forgot to mention, Re: Fremont, that is a beautiful rifle!

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
Got a Ruger #1 Whelen and I like it so well that I'm either gonna build another on one of the actions I have or look for a Rem. I even thought about a Savage although I never owned one.
I have been wanting to have one built on a Savage action. I`m sure this is going to start a fight ! But I think the Savage action is as good or better than the Remington.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Biggest caliber I own now. Had bigger ones in the past to keep up with the "Jones" in the big bore crowd.

Last edited by roundoak; 11/06/10.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kinser
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
Got a Ruger #1 Whelen and I like it so well that I'm either gonna build another on one of the actions I have or look for a Rem. I even thought about a Savage although I never owned one.
I have been wanting to have one built on a Savage action. I`m sure this is going to start a fight ! But I think the Savage action is as good or better than the Remington.

UHOH, think you just stepped in sheat. sick

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I had Randall Redman rebore/rechamber a pre '64 M/70 for .35 Whelen. I put a Griffin & Howe mount on it and have two top halves, one with an early Leupold 2-7X and the other with Lyman Alaskan. I reload for it an shoot everything from .357 pistol bullets to cast and jacketed bullets. For a deer hunting load I like 225 gr. Sierra SPBT over IMR 4064, an accurate effective load. For heavier game I like Fedreal's load with the Trophy Bonded Bearclaw bullet, its a real stopper.

Last edited by gunswizard; 11/06/10.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[Linked Image]They work great on coyotes too!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
M
MK1 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
35 Whelen

Along with the 9.3x62 and around a 250gr both box above their division. Another plus, reasonable weight to carry. Feeds well in a standard action a straightforward re barrel for a general gunsmith .A great off the shoulder hunting/stalking rifle with a lower power scope. I have a 35Whelen on a Mk1 Ruger that has a relatively light barrel profile and a 9.3 of similar weight on a commercial 98 Mauser action.
I have a Brno 375 H&H (1987 vintage )and a M17 375 CT.They "dont get around much ant more."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheHoundsTooth
I recently brought a T/C Encore PH frame and I think the first barrel I might try is the 35 Whelen. I, for whatever reason, have become addicted to thinking about pighunting. Mostly nostalgia I suppose. But I think the Whelen would be perfect for that application. On my recent Elk hunting trip I realized that most of the shots that I would have had in the specific area where I was hunting would have been a 250 to 400 yard shot at most. The 35 would have been right at home there in my opinion.

For that Encore frame think about a 20" barrel. I have a 20" 350 Rem Mag barrel for my Encore made by Fox Ridge Outfitters. I went with a heavy taper contour because I like a little weight out front but it carries real nice in the woods being so short, and handles great on running shots.

I also have a Remington 750 Carbine in 35 Whelen. I guess I just have an affliction for short barrels.

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Im in the process of building a 35 Whelen from an 30-06 ADL I aquired a few years ago. Still in the parts collection phase.

Remington 700 action
Fluted bolt
Fluted Gre-tan firing pin
Talley rings
Remington bottom metal (older style - not pot metal)
Remington stock (new factory second)

I still need a VX-II 3x9 scope and a stainless barrel. I'm planning on spraying all metal (except the barrel) with a titanium color cerakote.

I should also mention I'm chambering and installing the barrel as a night course at a local college.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I think it's cool that you can do that at a local college. At most colleges you could be arrested for bringing it on campus.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hey Kinser. I built a whelen on a savage action and am very happy with it. Non-accutrigger 30-06 action, A&B barrel from Midway, Boyd's JRS Pepper Laminate Stock. Very affordable, accurate, pleasent to shoot, and puts big holes in deer.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by doubletap
I think it's cool that you can do that at a local college. At most colleges you could be arrested for bringing it on campus.

It's actually pretty cool. It's a machine work class where they teach you to use a metal lathe. I took the intro to metal lathes a couple years ago which was pretty fun.

The college actually has a large collection of reamers including at 35 Whelen.

From what I understand, you practise turning, cutting threads and cutting and crowning on a blank piece of stock before actually working on your barrel blank.

----

MACH-222 Gunsmithing-Basic Machine Work
This course involves fundamental techniques for machine tool practices as they relate to gunsmithing. Activities include profiling, chambering barrel blanks, and mounting the action the students choose. This course provides students with hands-on experience with the basic tools of the machinist trade. If the student requires a barrel or suitable action, contact 403.XXX.XXXX at least six weeks in advance of the course.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mad Mikee, I teach metal trades and welding at the high school level. I would love to show my students how to chamber a barrel but would probally be fired for corrupting their little minds.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've had a T/C Encore with a 35 Whelen barrel bought from Midway for quite a few years. After Mississippi made that combo legal for primitive weapons season I bought a 2nd one in a pro-hunter model. I've used the Whelen on moose, black bear, hogs and deer. My handloads use Hornady, Nosler and Barnes bullets. What I found was I never took off the Whelen barrels. The custom shop barrels in smaller calibers just didn't get used so I sold them. Even though I own a good 338 WM. my future plans include a good bolt gun in 35 Whelen. Love the caliber.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

From what I understand, you practise turning, cutting threads and cutting and crowning on a blank piece of stock before actually working on your barrel blank.

----

MACH-222 Gunsmithing-Basic Machine Work
This course involves fundamental techniques for machine tool practices as they relate to gunsmithing. Activities include profiling, chambering barrel blanks, and mounting the action the students choose. This course provides students with hands-on experience with the basic tools of the machinist trade. If the student requires a barrel or suitable action, contact 403.XXX.XXXX at least six weeks in advance of the course.

[/quote]

Now that is cool!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Post some pictures and let us know how it shoots when you finish your project.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by doubletap
Post some pictures and let us know how it shoots when you finish your project.

Will do. Just waiting to hear back from the Department Manager so I can find out if I need to order the barrel blank myself or if he'll order one for me.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have been using the Whelen since 2000. It has been to Africa, Canada and several places in the U.S.. I too consider it a medium bore but it seems to kill out of proportion to its paper ballistics. My favorite bullet weight is 225 grain slugs, but I know lots of guys use the 250 grain bullets with good results. It is effective easily out to 300 yards for medium and large game. Once, in the last hours of a Alberta moose hunt, I used my Whelen and 225 gr. Federal TBBC bullets to take a medium sized moose at a laser ranged 412 yards. One shot put it down right there, (it took me 3 shots to hit it, for full disclosure) but that 3rd shot that went through the chest dropped him on the spot.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,196
Posts18,485,102
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.