Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Schnees pac boots or Schnees Beartooth for me. They were spectacular on my recent elk hunt.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Light weight Gor-Tex mountaineering boots. I use Asolo's because they fit me just right.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
a note on the rubber boots.. if you pick up a $3 pair of felt insoles to stick under the factory (or your) insoles they can play a big part in keeping your feet warm. just not allowing the transfer of cold up through the soles makes a big difference..

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Hanwag!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hi guys, I'm wondering what you think are the best boots for hunting elk in wet conditions. I've been hunting with a friend for the last 6 days (I got mine on opening day 11-6-10). We've had mixed conditions with snow and rain and my boots only hold up for about the first 2 days, then after that they are wet!!! My friend has 3 pairs so he can switch out when one gets wet. I think his are danners with goretex and mine are Lacrosse. Thanks for your help, BSA.

Which ever boots buy, consider a pair of good waterpoof/breathable gaitors over the top of them, and you will be a lot drier.

But as others have said, regardless of how waterproof your boots are, your feet are going to end up damp from sweat, even with goretex lined boots..

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hi guys, I'm wondering what you think are the best boots for hunting elk in wet conditions. I've been hunting with a friend for the last 6 days (I got mine on opening day 11-6-10). We've had mixed conditions with snow and rain and my boots only hold up for about the first 2 days, then after that they are wet!!! My friend has 3 pairs so he can switch out when one gets wet. I think his are danners with goretex and mine are Lacrosse. Thanks for your help, BSA.

Which ever boots buy, consider a pair of good waterpoof/breathable gaitors over the top of them, and you will be a lot drier.

But as others have said, regardless of how waterproof your boots are, your feet are going to end up damp from sweat, even with goretex lined boots..

Been there and done that. Thanks for the many good suggestions guys. bsa

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought a pair of Zamberlan Sellas and a pair of Lowa GTX Hunters and so far I really like both of them. Had some ankle issues this year and have been spending a ridiculous amount trying to keep from really ripping it out.

The Kenetreks are very comfortable but I got in a bad spot this year leading a string down a brutal stretch I should have rode but walked instead and rolled my right ankle. The mules were unimpressed.

The Lowa�s have great ankle support and protected my weakened ankle on a pretty easy 5 day elk hunt in CO this week.

The Kenetrek gaiters are really good and the boots (Mountain Extreme) are great but have a little less ankle than some others. Makes for quick break-in and a very comfortable boot but will give a little less protection to your ankle if you screw up. World is full of tradeoffs.

On a side not I hunted with a buddy wearing Meindl Canada Hunters and his were noticeably louder when a misstep hit a rock and they had that annoying Meindl squeak.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The squeaks can usually be treated out... I have to use chapstick on the tongue of my HanWags at times.

Anyone that uses goretex and waterproof in the same statement should get their head examined.

I'm tempted to get Schnees.... but I just got back from a WET Alaska deer hunt. We had to access beach by skiff every day. Lets just say if its 15 or warmer out... and or along the lines of wet.... my newest thing is featherweight waste high stocking foot waders and good wading boots. WOW is all I can say so far.

In the meantime Han Wags and maybe Kenetrek for the wifes new ones... and good gaiters.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by red_alder_ranch
I wear Danner Super Rainforest boots, and they are great. And it is WET where I live. I can wade through any water that doesn't go over the top of the boots and still be dry inside. I did oil them up with Hubberd's boot grease as soon as I got them, and will do that periodically.

Same here, even the Huberd's.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Schnees,extra pair of liners and gaiters,no complaints.As someone mentioned earlier, I find myself wearing them more than I thought I would.

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The best boots are always the other guys, I used to just take 2 or 3 pairs of white loggers & dry 2 - wear 1, till it got real snowy & cold (this was back when White's were about $60 & I could afford 3 pairs)(wore them for work every day too), then several liners & good winter packs, White also made a cowboy shaped one for us poor little horsbackers.
MC

marty
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It depends a lot on the temperature and snow conditions. Sloppy snow is best handled by pacs and changing liners. Schnees is my favorite but I haved som Sorels too. Gore Tex will flood sooner or later if it is in sloppy snow.

I have the best luck in just rain with Danner Rain Forests in Western Oregon and Danner Elk Hunters in Eastern Oregon.

Gaiters and greasing your toe cap at night can help a lot.

To dry them in elk camp we drag in a gas Powered Boot Dryer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (219 Wasp, 2five7, 1lessdog, 29aholic, 1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 38 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,824
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.