-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I got a set of the 8x32s earlier in the year from Doug during the camera deal. I've gone over a review of the binos here before, but the summary is that I loved the optics, but there were other parts of the bino that were lacking.

The frame and focus wheel on my set of EDG binos was chipping pretty bad. I hadn't abused them, yet there were probably a dozen places on the bino where were flaking away, mostly on the focus wheel. I sent them into Nikon to get repaired, because for the amount of money I paid for these, even discounted, that should not be happening.

I have now been told that Nikon is going to replace them. That's the good news. They will be replaced with the new, redesigned model. I'm still trying to figure out why they changed designs- the best I can figure out is that there was a patent problem with swaro and the open bridge design. Ironically, the new ones look a lot like the new SLC HD. I hope they upgraded the enamel! Why do they have enamel on them anyway? Silly.

The bad news is that I have to wait for the new ones to come from Japan. I spoke to Nikon today and they said "mid November to mid December." Great.

I'd love to have them sooner, but more than likely these binos will be on ebay as soon as I get them, unless they've changed some things. In my eyes they are not made for hunters, rather, they are aimed at the birding community. I'm already looking for their replacement, most likely a 8x32 EL.

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
dryfly,

I can't argue the 8x32 EL, but if you haven't looked at/through them I highly suggest you give the 8x32 Meoptas a chance.

DC

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with iddave. check out the Meoptas before you get the Swaros!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
meopta makes a great bino

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I can add an option, look at the German made Minox 8x33 HG

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just love those ELs. I'm sure the meoptas and the Minox are great, and may even be the equal optically, but I'm sold on Swaro. The ergonomics of that little 8x32 are awesome with the open frame design, especially one handed, which is how I'll be using them quite a bit, as I'm a bow hunter. I'm also getting more and more loyal to Swaro based on how I've been treated in warranty issues. Nothing less than stellar. I know that swaros are built tough, and if I happen to mess 'em up, I know they've got my back.

I did have one small issue with a warranty claim on a minox bino, and they basically told me I was SOL. My buddy had another issue with his Minox binos and again I came away less than impressed, as he got the run around and it took quite a while to get them repaired.

Here's a review as of this month on the 8x32s on the market. Some interesting stuff.

Now I just need Doug to get a load of the 8x32 demos in stock for about 1/2 off. smile
http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2010midsizebins/index.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
I got a set of the 8x32s earlier in the year from Doug during the camera deal. I've gone over a review of the binos here before, but the summary is that I loved the optics, but there were other parts of the bino that were lacking.

The frame and focus wheel on my set of EDG binos was chipping pretty bad. I hadn't abused them, yet there were probably a dozen places on the bino where were flaking away, mostly on the focus wheel. I sent them into Nikon to get repaired, because for the amount of money I paid for these, even discounted, that should not be happening.

I have now been told that Nikon is going to replace them. That's the good news. They will be replaced with the new, redesigned model. I'm still trying to figure out why they changed designs- the best I can figure out is that there was a patent problem with swaro and the open bridge design. Ironically, the new ones look a lot like the new SLC HD. I hope they upgraded the enamel! Why do they have enamel on them anyway? Silly.

The bad news is that I have to wait for the new ones to come from Japan. I spoke to Nikon today and they said "mid November to mid December." Great.

I'd love to have them sooner, but more than likely these binos will be on ebay as soon as I get them, unless they've changed some things. In my eyes they are not made for hunters, rather, they are aimed at the birding community. I'm already looking for their replacement, most likely a 8x32 EL.

DryFly:

I do want to respond to your thread, first off, I own 2 of the Nikon EDG binoculars, and
so have been around them, and they are built as great as anything out there. Nikon builds quality optics, as most know here, and I wondering about anyone putting out some talk about chipping on the focus wheel and frame, has me thinking this has to be a joke or you
may have some other reason, to put these down.

I do not like anyone ripping something, when I feel it is not warranted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have abused the hell out of my 8x32 EDG binos - plus I got a deal on them as they were the demos that had been used at numerous shows so much that the rubber armor was peeling off around the edges. I've had no chipping or any other problems and rank them with ANY other bino of their size.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It could very well be I got a lemon. I'm glad to hear you guys have had good success with yours. Like I say, the optics are great--as good as any out there. I've just been disillusioned at the chipping and flaking all over the dang bino. I should have taken pictures before I sent them back to show you what I mean. I'm glad Nikon is replacing them. Their CS has been great in my experiences. I have no other ax to grind, just trying to give you gents a heads up. If they were all like the one I had, I don't think I could recommend them. I did talk to one other guy who was having the same problem. I just call it like I see it.

Last edited by dryflyelk; 11/10/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dryfly:

It seems some have found you and will call you on your attempt
to put down a quality optic.

I am really wondering about your post, as there are clearly no
issues here about flaking and chipping?

What is your motive?

Jerry

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I too have a pair of the edg 8x32's....mine too have chipped a bit. I agree that they dropped the ball big time on the armor, but the optics are stellar.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Seriously? You guys are doubting this? "My attempt to put down a quality optic?" Crazy. It's like I'm calling your mother names or something. Why would I make it up? LOL. By the way, I have spoken to several others who bought them who have seen the same problem, so it is not just me.

I had a pair of EDG 8x32s. They had a problem where the armor was chipping and falling off in normal use. Don't you think that's worth passing on? Would you like to pay $1k plus and have this happen? These binos hung against my chest for about 2 weeks of hunting, and they looked like they had been passed down from the civil war. I certainly wouldn't buy another pair if I had to worry about this problem, nor would I recommend them to a friend. That's my motive here, folks. If I find gear that I love, I'll pass along the good word. If I find gear that has problems, I'll pass that along as well. Nothing more. Relax. If you guys have had good success with yours, that's great. I'm glad for you.

Nikon acknowledged the problem and has made it right. Their CS has been excellent. The optics are excellent. The end.

Actually, you're right. I'm attempting to bring down the evil Nikon empire, as I have discovered they were behind 9/11, and i believe Bin Laden is operating the optics division from deep within the caves of Afghanistan. I was hoping that by making up a story about their best binocular I could bring them down. It's all in the name of patriotism.

Last edited by dryflyelk; 11/11/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The finish on the EDG binos does look like some sort of enamel and I certainly can see how it might chip. It shouldn't affect the workings of the bino but if appearance of the exterior is important then I suppose it would be a consideration.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
Seriously? You guys are doubting this? "My attempt to put down a quality optic?" Crazy. It's like I'm calling your mother names or something. Why would I make it up? LOL. By the way, I have spoken to several others who bought them who have seen the same problem, so it is not just me.

I had a pair of EDG 8x32s. They had a problem where the armor was chipping and falling off in normal use. Don't you think that's worth passing on? Would you like to pay $1k plus and have this happen? These binos hung against my chest for about 2 weeks of hunting, and they looked like they had been passed down from the civil war. I certainly wouldn't buy another pair if I had to worry about this problem, nor would I recommend them to a friend. That's my motive here, folks. If I find gear that I love, I'll pass along the good word. If I find gear that has problems, I'll pass that along as well. Nothing more. Relax. If you guys have had good success with yours, that's great. I'm glad for you.

Nikon acknowledged the problem and has made it right. Their CS has been excellent. The optics are excellent. The end.

Actually, you're right. I'm attempting to bring down the evil Nikon empire, as I have discovered they were behind 9/11, and i believe Bin Laden is operating the optics division from deep within the caves of Afghanistan. I was hoping that by making up a story about their best binocular I could bring them down. It's all in the name of patriotism.

Wow, what a story, not very credible.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
When did this site become a refuge for crazy people?

The man said the optics were great Farmboy. He said there was some chipping on them. For that matter, so did another gentleman (high country). Are you saying they are BOTH lying? If so, could you enlighten us as to WHY you think they'd go out of their way to come to this particular web-site and fabricate such a story?

I think it's worth mentioning again that he further stated that the customer service from Nikon was great.

I don't know ANY of the participants of this thread personally, but it's clear the man isn't bad-mouthing Nikon as a whole. He got a bad set of bins. Even Nikon agreed with that as they are replacing them. Why is it so difficult to wrap your head around this concept?

You called the man (who you clearly don't know from Adam) a LIAR...based on what exactly?

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong. After all, I suggested Meopta bins and he politely declined my suggestion. Following your logic, maybe I should make disparaging remarks about his ancestry.

Stop sniffing the glue.

Last edited by iddave; 11/12/10.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have swaro big eyes and sold my 8, 10 and 12x leica's.....I think I know decent glass when I look through it. the nikon armor is lame, the optics are top shelf.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was a bit surprised when the report of chipping and flaws like
this on the EDG, when I have had such good luck with mine, and
so I guess there can be issues with quality from time to time.
I should not have took it personal and got carried away, so I am sorry if I have offended anyone.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good on you to man up!

I know of a pair that are chipping as well, seems like it's not that uncommon.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Good luck with one pair doesn't give you the right to bash the reviewer and accuse them of having a "motive".

your comments were a little over the top.

Last edited by michigan70; 11/12/10.
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
Way to man up Farmboy.

We all say stupid things from time to time. At least you have the good sense to admit it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 26 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,892
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.