Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I know less than zero about these things, but have considered buying a used one to haul corn around my little place and possibly drag a deer out once in a while. What should I be looking for? Have seen a few around this area on Craig's list and so forth, but as I say, I know absolutely nothin' about 'em and don't plan to spend a fortune on one as it will be somethin' sittin' around more than used. Have seen some at pretty great prices, but couldn't know whether it was because it was a turd or just a good deal.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It depends on your budget and what your wanting for your dollar but around here the bast deals are found on Craigslist and at our flea market. Check out ebay too to get a going rate on them

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like an SRA (solid rear axle) bike will do all you need it to do and I wouldn't go much bigger than a 450-500cc machine. I'd also recommend a 4x4 model over a 2wd, there will come a time where you will need 4x4 and you'll be glad you have it. I'd look at either the Honda Foreman or the Yamaha Grizzly, both are very reliable and will do everything you need them too.

When looking at a used atv, check the oil, make sure it doesn't smoke when running and that the brakes work. If you can, get that front end up off the ground and check the wheel bearings by trying to move the wheels up and down and side to side. Look the frame over real good for cracks. Some little extras that are nice to have would be diff lock, disc brakes, shiftable 4wd, and pull start in case your battery goes dead.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A good used Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 is what I'd recommend. Relatively inexpensive, user friendly, and dang near bulletproof.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
After you get one you will use it a lot more than you thought and wonder how you ever got along without one!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Stick with a Honda. I'd recommend a rancher less than five years old. The old honda fourtrax 300's were good atv's but the youngest one is coming up on 10 years old now, too old for reliable service. A five year old 2wd rancher can be had pretty cheap, $2000-2500 should buy one in good shape. 4x4 is nice but not really required, the 2wd ones go pretty good. They are extremely useful, you will quickly become very attached to it and wonder how you ever got along without it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first first atv was a brand spankin new '92 Honda 300 2wd, it wore a set of Wolley Boogers (tires) on the back and I went pretty much went where everyone else went on their 4wd machines. When it got stuck it was light enough to pick up the backend and get it out of the mud. Once I went to 4wd I swore I would never get anything without it and that still holds true to this day. Get a rig you can put in and out of 4wd and you will be set.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Both mine are 4x4's and I personally wouldn't buy anything else. However, going by the OP's criteria, which I read as CHEAP, he'd probably be satisfied with a 2wd. Of course if he found a 4x4 in good condition cheap then that'd be the best of both worlds. For my own use it's strictly 4wd, but a 2wd will go 95% of the places a 4wd will go. My problem is that I seem to end up in that last 5% too often.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
get a shaft drive honda 4x4 and you'll never look back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with what everybody has said. Honda = bullet proof.

Yamaha and Suzuki make some great ATV's also. All three have been maunufacturing dirt bikes and ATV's forever.

When I looked for a used ATV, I narrowed my search to those three. I ended up finding the best deal on a used Suzuki Vinson. I'm not saying it's the best one, but it serves my needs very well. I based my buying decision on what I could find in the best shape, at the best price.

I would have been equally as happy with a Rancher, Foreman, Grizzly, King Quad or Eiger. They're all, IMHO, good reliable ATV's.

IC B3

M
mtnman1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm not particularly lookin' for cheap, but not lookin' to buy a bunch of frills that I don't need either. I have a little piece of property that is basically brush covered and is relatively flat and this will primarily be used for haulin' a deer outa the brush, or loading corn and typical work around the ranch kind of work. I ain't plannin' on climbin' mountains with it or any of that jazz and it will likely sit at the place chained up so I don't want something people are gonna want so bad that they'll go to a lot of trouble to steal. My main thing is I want something reliable.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then I'd go with the Fourtrax 300 or a Foreman 450-500 in 2wd. These models were made for the type of use you need and are geared as such.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnman1
I'm not particularly lookin' for cheap, but not lookin' to buy a bunch of frills that I don't need either. I have a little piece of property that is basically brush covered and is relatively flat and this will primarily be used for haulin' a deer outa the brush, or loading corn and typical work around the ranch kind of work. I ain't plannin' on climbin' mountains with it or any of that jazz and it will likely sit at the place chained up so I don't want something people are gonna want so bad that they'll go to a lot of trouble to steal. My main thing is I want something reliable.

What color do you want? smile

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
got this one for sale..........

clean one owner in ads..........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought a '91 Yamaha Big Bear Moto 4 350cc a couple of years ago. I give $700 for it but needed $20 to get it going. Last year I did have to put some time and money into it as it busted a screw off of the shiftdrum internally which required splitting the cases.
It is a no frills bike. Fulltime 4x4, hi/low selectable, Reverse,5sp without clutch.

The gadgets are nice but expensive to replace once out of warranty. The fewer electronics the better in my opinion and since I am the one turning the wrenches this is what I choose.

I use it for the things you are talking about plus pulling trees around after they have been cut.

Parts are plentiful new and used and pretty easy to work on.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
700 bucks good score.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 7 STW
700 bucks good score.

No doubt.

I remember when that was one of the bigger quads a guy could get.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good used little Honda Recon is hard to beat for what you mention. It uses the old Big Red 250cc, a tried and true engine f there ever was one. Bought a 2wd version for the wife and a foreman for myself. She has been able to follow me through everything I saw fit to get into. Plus being a smaller bike, it will easily fit in the back of a pickup, something you might not have considered to this point.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Used Honda..........

Last edited by tikkanut; 11/19/10.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
mtnman1 if you do decide to buy used ATV from ebay beware of ATV's that are snorkled usually located in the south. These ATV's have seen a lot of mud running and may have internal engine issues. Have two Honda's one 4x4 and one 2wd they both are great machines. Try Dirtwheel magazine to see comparison of similar ATV's. Good luck!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

282 members (10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 36 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,488
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.