Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I got a text message with a picture from my nephew, he bagged a cow elk east of Roseburg, OR. He just got a CVA ML rifle this summer, and I sent him some Bullshop .50" 460 gr conicals that he loaded with 90 gr of one of the Shockey powders. Range was 60 yds, and he got both lungs and broke the off-shoulder. He was out around Glide.

The good news is I have a ML elk tag for the Sitkum 224M hunt in December, and we are going to do that hunt next. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That entire Roseburg area is good. The cascade muzzle loader tag is a good one. You should have a great hunt out there in sitkum. I nuked a nice bull out there around 10 years ago.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by HunterJim
I got a text message with a picture from my nephew, he bagged a cow elk east of Roseburg, OR. He just got a CVA ML rifle this summer, and I sent him some Bullshop .50" 460 gr conicals that he loaded with 90 gr of one of the Shockey powders. Range was 60 yds, and he got both lungs and broke the off-shoulder. He was out around Glide.

The good news is I have a ML elk tag for the Sitkum 224M hunt in December, and we are going to do that hunt next. wink

jim

Excellent area.

I gotta buy an ML and go looking down there.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I hunted the High Cascade buck hunt with this nephew a couple of years back, the only critter I saw was a spike elk. That season came at full moon, so I was not surprised. We were in the Lake Lemolo general area.

My nephew suggested I apply for the Sitkum tag which I drew first time around with zero points. That surprised me, but maybe the tag price jump helped.

I have been looking with google earth, and it is mostly green in Sitkum with some clearcuts thrown in for good measure. My nephew has been scouting, and thinks we have a good camp site and hunt areas.

jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in the day there was a clearcut that we took quite a few elk out of. Bow hunting mostly and one of my largest bulls on the tioga 2nd season rifle tag. That cut has been to brushy to hunt for at least the last 10 years.

That entire area is jammed packed full of elk. Cow calling from the cuts toward the timber has worked for me there more than a few times. That big bull came to a cow call the week of Thanksgiving. He followed a spike out into the clearcut and gave me a suicide pose.

The timber is more open than you'ld suspect. The elk trails in the timber near the cuts can be amazing.

Your gonna have a good time.

Mike

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Mike,

I sent your post to my nephew who has been doing the scouting. I am looking forward to this hunt, not just because I have a ML that hasn't killed a critter and a new knife!...thanks...jim

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Mike,

I shot a cow elk with my ML, and am back home with 345 pounds of cut and wrapped meat. We had backstraps last night, which were superb.

The elk were in small groups and we found this one in a clear cut off the Burnt Mountain Access Road, and were able to stalk to a shot through the trees at the edge of the cut.

thanks for the help...jim

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,559 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,482
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.