Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With some, it takes a while to get there.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
GB1

AJD #4613032 11/19/10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it's cuz they've got little wieners.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I think it's cuz they've got little wieners.

Lol!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Been out twice. Shot a doe the first time, grabbed her front legs in one hand, her back legs in the other, and tossed her in the back of the truck. And I'm not the incredible hulk. God, what a delicious creature! Second time out, shot another fat doe. This one, I nearly threw my back out dragging her over the tailgate. I liked the first one better. I'll be ecstatic if I have a freezer full of fat yearlings by the end of season. Everybody says predators prey on the young because they are weak. No, we don't. We like 'em 'cause they're tender! grin

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Scott,
Guilty as charged from the Maine buck post,wasn't qualifying him in my mind just making a statement,I've also killed smaller ones and been just as happy.
So I'm ready for sentenceing(I can't spell)
Flogging at the town square seem fair?

Ron

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I read lots of 'He wasn't my biggest buck but I'm happy' or 'There are bigger ones out there but I'm happy' or 'He's not a monster but I'm happy'

Why do folks have to qualify? Ain't 'I'm happy' enough? Have we come that 'far' to feel the need to qualify a buck that isn't 24" wide with 18" long tines?

Worse yet is "I was hunting in such bad timber, etc I would never shoot something in there" Is there anything more stupid than hunting somewhere you would never shoot the animal?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Too much tv. (in this case hunting shows) People seem to forget that tv isn't reality.

"I didn't get these scars falling over in church"
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
reality TV is.....

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I donno. I sent a picture of the buck I shot to a few friends and two of them called and asked "why the hell did you shoot that?" Pissed me right off both times but I don't care because I'm happy.

It's a nice buck, I was with my dad, and I have tenderloins in the fridge.

Last edited by tzone; 11/20/10.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Check out my excremental grin after shooting this monster over the Vet's Day weekend.

[Linked Image]

Three tags filled and I can save the last tag for something bigger. wink

Have you entered it in the DINK-O-THON yet? It's in the running.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tom...Shhhhhhh...Don't tell him that...he could kick all our azzes with that one..... cry

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Every year I am happy with the deer we take. On our own ground, no high fence, fair chase and all that. I have seen bigger deer sometimes, but not during the season or no chance for a shot or whatever but I am happy with any deer. Same for my hunting buddies. One guy at our camp had gone 0 for 9 or something like that, but he was looking for a decent buck, not necessarily a wall hanger but not some 2 1/2 year old. So, that was his choice every year and he was happy with that as well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
reality TV is.....

is not...

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
which is "why" I don't watch hunting shows on TV.

I love to watch deer, can sit and watch them for hours in a stand, had a doe under my stand last night came out at sunset, stayed until I ran it off at end of legal hours. I really do not shoot anything anymore without good reason. I just like being in the woods seeing animals its better than new rifles, magnums, fancy binoculars, expensive hunting togs or shopping for the latest gadget.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I read lots of 'He wasn't my biggest buck but I'm happy' or 'There are bigger ones out there but I'm happy' or 'He's not a monster but I'm happy'

Why do folks have to qualify? Ain't 'I'm happy' enough? Have we come that 'far' to feel the need to qualify a buck that isn't 24" wide with 18" long tines?

This year I had to settled for a 19 incher. He wasn't a monster but I'm happy.

I couldn't afford a big 24 incher this year. I'm saving my extra cash for one those trophy monster bucks next year though. smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
do you pay "by the inch" this sounds like they pull them out on a rope for you to look at before you shoot?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda. smile

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Scott...for the same reason you see the monster 4x4 truck all tricked and lifted so you need a ladder to get in and out and when the driver gets out he is the size of Napolean! Then he shows you his S&W .500 side arm and his new .375 H&H rifle for dink huntin'. Awwwww, you get the picture!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had an awesome show on opening morning this year. I was watching a doe and 2 fawns feed in the headlands of a cornfield that was above the neighbor's CRP. They started to come towards me (and the property line), but stopped and were looking at something in the really tall switchgrass at the bottom of the hill. I started glassing the grass and saw a huge rack sticking out of it. I watched him for an hour or so, not seeing anything but the rack. As he was appearing and disappearing in the grass, his rack seemed to grow and shrink. Eventually, I saw that there were actually 2 smaller (but still big) bucks in there with him. Heard some rattling, but couldn't see any of them at the time, so I don't know which 2 were fighting. The 2 smaller bucks moved off towards out property line and about 6 deer blew out of the ditch and headed for the CRP on the other side of our pasture, one of them being one of the smaller bucks. Nothing seemed to be happening after that, so I went back to my parent's place, cut and split some wood, and went back about 5 hours later. I walked up the ditch on our side of the fence and got this guy at about 10 yards in a willow thicket in our ditch. He looks like one of the bucks got run off.

[Linked Image]

Had some round steaks cut off of him last night. Had good flavor and were still easily chewable without taking any tenderizing measures other than not overcooking it.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Worse yet is "I was hunting in such bad timber, etc I would never shoot something in there" Is there anything more stupid than hunting somewhere you would never shoot the animal?

Ha! I've been that guy more than once, elk hunting. Was also on the radio with a hunting pard and once I realized where he was on the map, told him dude gtf out of there 'cause I'm not sliding down into that hole to help you pack an elk out <g>.

As to happiness with what you've killed... I've been mad at myself a couple times just because a yearling doe or button buck is a TINY animal around here and we only get two tags these days... and I like venison... so I've killed a couple where I felt like I cost myself a lot of meat as compared to holding out for a mature doe. They were tender though.

With bucks I've killed one tiny fork that had me feeling like I gypped myself but it was halfway through the last day and I'd already decided anything legal was going down.. generally, as a relatively new hunter, with only 10-odd seasons and 20-odd deer, any decent forkie or bigger makes me happy.

I was pumped with this year's toad, as much for the meat as the horns though. Lots of it. The head/horns are just hanging from a tree for the winter; I'll keep them but I'm just not that into the whole "trophy" thing.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (160user, 21, 2500HD, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 29 invisible), 1,770 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,493,023
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.