Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have gotten to the point that I don't want 30mm rings and I don't need 14 models to choose from. It would be nice if they would go back to the start and figure out a way to make some sense of the whole matter as to what is what.

Just a thot

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Either the S&B you tested was faulty, or your "testing" was faulty. Or maybe your wishing for something made it so. There is increasing evidence that our pre-conceived notions of quality can not just prejudice us, but actually "fool" the brain into working differently....

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I pray that he quits re-telling this story, I've read it no less than 6 times. Complete BS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trolling or senility

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by shortmagfan
Just spoke to custom shop - they called to confirm an order I placed this week. The rep didn't know anything about the vx7 being discontinued but did acknowledge pending announcement of a vx6 line. According to this rep, it will be 6xzoom scopes in 30 mm tubes. No specifics as to models

If they are trying to compete with Swaro et al it will be an interesting marketing 'venture'.

Some one earlier posted about niche perception with scopes/leupold. Maybe they are right and Leupold should use economy of scale to produce large numbers of competent, more economically priced reliable scopes. Think VX-3 $100 cheaper.

Trying to compete in the top end of the market is a mistake. You can option up a Chevy to go like a Mercedes, but it still came from the Chevy factory.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Leupold needs to quite the redundancy in their lines and use the production capacity to push down prices. Competition is getting better and some really good glass can be bought for less coin. They are able to produce glass that can compete at any level, however, they need to understand they cannot put $1200 price tags on $600 glass. Their name alone is not going to rate the extra $ in todays global market. I say this being a fan and hope the best for the company.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I remember comparing an older 6X42 Leupold once to a fancy S&B PMII. Neither myself or the owner could see any differences....... E

I remember you saying the exact same thing about a " $1500 " fancy Zeiss scope. Then the owner (Rick Bin) came in to correct you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if diamond coat was "crushed diamond dust", what's diamond coat 2?

organic diamonds???

Last edited by SAKO75; 11/20/10.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GreggH
Leupold needs to quite the redundancy in their lines and use the production capacity to push down prices. Competition is getting better and some really good glass can be bought for less coin. They are able to produce glass that can compete at any level, however, they need to understand they cannot put $1200 price tags on $600 glass. Their name alone is not going to rate the extra $ in todays global market. I say this being a fan and hope the best for the company.
I agree, I think Leupold has way too many lines and they appear to be adding more. I dont have much use for a 6x zoom scope. I dont have the time to play with the power where I hunt, deer appear and disappear quickly. I am not glassing them over a huge field and if I was, I have superb binoculars for that. As someone on here used to say, "a scope is crosshair holding device", not for observation.

The 3-10 power range (for me) just works for any big game inside of 500 yards, see no need to limit myself to a fixed 6 or fixed 4 wit hthe VX-3 3.5-10x40 only weighing in at 12oz with excellent non-critical eye relief....THE new VX-3 is a very nice optic (contrast is higher than any previoos leupold) and the CDS is a nice touch. I got one new for $450 which is $50 below MAP. Is it the BEST scope optically?... nope but not needed to be but its plenty good.

THE VX-7's are large and heavy and have bulky turrets. THE XT Duplex is nice though.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
koshkin,

Do you think the new VX-6 will include a high magification light weight like the Swarovski?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Ringman
koshkin,

Do you think the new VX-6 will include a high magification light weight like the Swarovski?

What is the zoom ratio for the Bushnell Elite 6500 series?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
6.5X

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lowlight
Test charts using blocks or bars are still user subjective because they are little more than fine detail eye charts, which is probably why you saw a big swing. People still see what they want to using them and there is no way to remove the human element.

As well depending on the condition and use of each, some coatings could have been damaged or broken down causing another layer of difference between similar brands and models.

After so many years, thousands upon thousands of posts, I have come to the conclusion test charts are a waste of the individual users time because, again, the shooter will see what they want, and in many cases only gauge based upon what they paid or have emotionally invested in. You can line ten shooters up and have them look at the same thing and score the scope and you will get 10 different scores -- so what does it all mean.

Get what you can pay for, and buy what makes "YOU" happy and not worry about what some one saw under whatever conditions in whatever far away place for whatever reason they decided to check something, because for every "plus" you'll find a "minus" and for each there is a reason.

Scopes are not eye glasses, and when your doctor is changing the prescription, from "Better or Worse" he doing so in a specific manner. Looking through one scope at an eye chart and moving to another is not a "Better or Worse" situation that same as being at an eye doctors.

Uncorrected I can't read the entire line first line of an eye chart, so If I look through a scope and read the resolution bars, and someone with 20/20 vision looks through the same scope at the same bars, he will clearly "see more bars".. because I am friggin blind in my right eye... so saying they are not subjective is false... they are a reference point, nothing more.

Further more, no scope tested is calibrated to the power settings, so you have no way of knowing if one is viewing at 10X and the other 11X, or worse, 9.5X which will also cause a difference in what you see... because the number of bars you see are also a product of magnification. None of them are calibrated, I don't care if you put everyone on 10X, the truth of the matter is, you have no way of knowing that they are all seeing the test chart the same...

These reasons are why the test charts are not industry standard and not being used in the manner which people think they need to be used.

Please, its simple, just like SWFA stated with people who come into their store... No two people see the same piece of glass the same way... that is fact of life you cannot reason away with. We see it all the time, nobody, I mean nobody looks at the same scope and sees the same thing, that's life.

As a Photo geek I have contacted this man, years ago about this: Norman Koren and asked about using his software... and understand they do use software to do this, essentially taking the human element out of the equations because of all the reasons I have stated. Photo geeks photograph the test target and run it through this software to reach their conclusions.

I made an effort to explore this, and can tell you it's not happening way you think. Sure 30 people can give you a good cross sections of "opinions' but that doesn't make them right, or educated opinions, it just makes them their particular opinions at the time. As been written, there was more wrong with these kinds of test than there is right, that I can promise anyone reading this.

The human eye can only resolve so much, the glass in the scopes are designed, almost all of them to resolve beyond our limits, (especially at the higher end) so anything past what we can resolve is a plus. The real test of optics like rifle scopes are not in the number of bars it can see, but how it resolves things like color, because that is where the money is, in the coatings. The glass is meaningless, the coatings make it so we can see, very few understand this, which is why they test black & white bars, and don't focus on the colors of the USAF Chart... which you have to ask why its barely used and hasn't been upgraded... instead we have turned to computers and software.

You want to use the USAF chart, you better be using the colored bars, especially the red and yellow because that is where the differences between scopes are... look at old reviews I posted, I specifically use the colors, not the black & white...

Magnification also matters, the focus on the rear is 99% for the reticle, not the image downrange that is what the parallax is for... you can fine tune some of it, but essentially the diopter is not focusing the target its focusing the reticle. So your vision absolutely matters, everyone's better be 20/20 or else you're skewing the results between people and scope that says 10X and is actually 11X is going to see more bars than a scope that says 10X and is actually 9X, there is not way around that, you're only so close to the test target.

You can try to argue semantics o f what you think, but i have time, numbers, and research on my side, that I promise you. This isn't my first scope rodeo there hoss.

here is the image test page:
http://www.imatest.com/home

" All the gear, and no idear" - an anonymous aussie

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's amazing what Frank knows, and has compiled, regarding the field of optics, and further, the practical explanations of his conclusions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
koshkin,

That would be nice.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by cfran
Originally Posted by Eremicus
The VX-7 isn't as good as the top end Swaro, Zeiss and S&B's ? I dunno about that. The guy I trust says only the S&B Summit is any better and that only by a hair.
I remember comparing an older 6X42 Leupold once to a fancy S&B PMII. Neither myself or the owner could see any differences at 100 yds. when looking at bullet holes, some of which were as small as 6mm. Granted, we didn't carefully clean the scopes first, though I did look for dust, but we did focus and refocus both several times before we concluded the above.
I've come to understand these so called differewnces in optical quality are often pretty small. Which means of no practical difference to the hunter. E

And "that guy you trust" has called BS on your statement claiming your Leupold 6x42 was hanging with a S&B. Need me to find that direct quote from him E?

Your posts are heavily biased and offer no value other than to prop up Leupold and try and make them look better.

Had the same thought, and I dote HEAVILY on the Leupold 6x42s.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
dave7mm,

Your link goes to a page trying to sell something. Do you mind trying again, please?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (1beaver_shooter, 257_X_50, 17Fan, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 16gage, 41 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,146
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.