Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't care if it is a peep sighted, hi-viz fiber optic, factory irons etc. Please post some pictures of how your favorite 22 lr's shoot at 50 yards with open sights (preferably 10 shot groups). I've been working on a sleeper for little comps we have around here. My scoped rifle shoots tiny groups and scores 100-10x, so no need for pics of how your scoped 22's shoot. Thanks, bsa.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ok, I guess I'll show my arse. Went to the range today and it was snowing and there was a light breeze. I posted in the competitive shooting section 2 hrs ago, but no one has pictures to share. I installed my new rear peep today and here are the results. I also must add, the ammo that I've been using is the cheap federal red box hp's they call the value pack. Didn't have any fancy target ammo, but nonetheless here are the pics. I'd still like to see pics of others targets. I know many here would put mine to shame, but remember my 10-22 is bone stock with a peep installed. Take care, bsa.

[Linked Image]
Here's the peep I bought off of ebay. It's pretty simple (the way I like it).
[Linked Image]
All groups fired at 50 yds from target.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] Looks like my offhand shooting needs some improving with this thing!!
[Linked Image] This was my last offhand group of the day. Let's see some of your pictures. Thanks, bsa.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
How do you like that peep sight so far from your eye? Can you acquire a good sight picture quickly? I have never seen one mounted that far up the barrel. How do those groups compare to groups shot before the peep sight was installed?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I installed the peep mainly for targets. It is a 1/16" aperture which seems to be pretty good for sight acquisition. It seems to shoot better groups with the new peep. I'll look for some pics of targets shot with the same boolits a couple of weeks ago. It will be a couple of minutes.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]
Here's the before picture. This is the best I could do with it with the factory rear sight shooting off the bench. I'm thinking about installing a fiber optic front sight, but don't know if I should. BSA.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
They look about the same.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Notropis
They look about the same.

This (shot with new peep):
[Linked Image]
Looks like this (shot with factory rear sight)?
[Linked Image]
OK wink

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The groups in the first post had holes spread out fairly widely out to about the 5 ring on some targets and nice and tight on some others. The one "before" target is tighter than some and more spread out than some of the "after" targets. That is why I concluded that they were about the same.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you look, I wrote which ones were shot offhand. That is the reason for the widespread groups. The last 2 targets shown are representative of what the rifle does off the bench. I'd say the groups shot with the new peep are 1/2 the size as the one shot with the factory rear. Thanks for your coments, bsa.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bsa,

I've installed fiber optic fronts on several of my open and peep sighted rifles.

They work GREAT for me, but I'm also 58 years old.

When I was younger a 1/16" gold sheard bead worked great.

Virgil B.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Virgil, thanks for your positive coments. I've never tried fiber optics on a rifle, but have had them on many shotguns. My left eye (I shoot left handed) has been giving me problems: I recently had an eye infection in it and my vision still hasn't recovered. I'm thinking the f.o front sight would work pretty good too because of the contrast between the black in the target and the color of the sight. When I shoot at this particular target I use a 6 O'clock hold on it (when the black on the front sight touches the black on the target) I squeeze one off. I think I will get one and try it, if it doesn't work I'll just put the original one back on, bsa.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bsa,

They're inexpensive, and cheap to try.
I know they work good for me!

I have them on my favorite brush gun also, a Marlin 1895 45-70. Trapper. (17" barrel)

Good luck! Virgil B.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks my friend and fellow Oregonian. It never hurts to try and it's even better when it doesn't cost much. Take care, bsa.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I don't care if it is a peep sighted, hi-viz fiber optic, factory irons etc. Please post some pictures of how your favorite 22 lr's shoot at 50 yards with open sights (preferably 10 shot groups). I've been working on a sleeper for little comps we have around here. My scoped rifle shoots tiny groups and scores 100-10x, so no need for pics of how your scoped 22's shoot. Thanks, bsa.

Does this count? Stevens 418 Walnut Hill from 1932--rear sights are a Lyman 48L receiver sight and Lyman 414 rear tang sight, with Lyman 17A front sight with the "lollipop" insert. Got these groups earlier this year during an ammo test.
Here's pics of the gun, a target and the ammo chart--sadly, the most expensive ammo was the best (Eley Tenex)
Best was (3) ten shot groups with a .734" average, conditions and rest info and location on the chart.
5 shot group in the bottom target was .5475"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SteveS; 11/22/10.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SteveS

Does this count? Stevens 418 Walnut Hill from 1932--rear sights are a Lyman 48L receiver sight and Lyman 414 rear tang sight, with Lyman 17A front sight with the "lollipop" insert. Got these groups earlier this year during an ammo test.
Here's pics of the gun, a target and the ammo chart--sadly, the most expensive ammo was the best (Eley Tenex)
Best was (3) ten shot groups with a .734" average, conditions and rest info and location on the chart.
5 shot group in the bottom target was .5475"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Prezactly what I wanted. Very informative also. Looks like your best score was 50-3x with the eley tennex? Very nice shooting. I like the chart also: I have tried some of the ammo you have listed with very similar results. Its weird how you can hear a difference in the report when you get ammo with inconsistancies. I generally shoot big game rifles and haven't shot the good ol 22 for a long time. They're great for practice and a whole lot cheaper. Thanks for the detailed info, I enjoyed it. BSA.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yes, 50 / 3x on the 5 shot Eley Tenex (black box)group, when I zeroed it for that ammo to see what I could do for score. (the other targets were for group, not score)

Interesting thing is that RWS 50 was VERY and the most consistent from group to group even though just a shade overall larger groups than Tenex. I'll go back and test more RWS 50 this spring when the weather warms up and conditions are better here in NH.

Here's one more pic of the rifle--I actually used all three sights, small aperture on the tang sight and took the aperture out on the reciever sight so the reciever sight became kind of ghost ring in addtion to the outside of the Lyman 17A front sight--it became a very small aperture (off the bags), but easier to focus with my eyes (using progressive glasses). Shooting off hand I'd just use the tang sight for the longer sight radius, unless I had the shakes that day. I'd go the reciever sight (which I grew up with using on the rifle) for training for my Savage 99 with a Redfield 70 reciever sight or had too much coffee before range time!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SteveS; 11/23/10.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thats a classic, thanks for posting. BSA.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think I'm going to have to try the tennex or RWS. I'm assuming these are the RWS 50:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=278472

They get pretty good reviews from midway. And are quite a bit cheaper.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I think I'm going to have to try the tennex or RWS. I'm assuming these are the RWS 50:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=278472

They get pretty good reviews from midway. And are quite a bit cheaper.

Yes, I RWS 50 was right up there with Tenex, but your link goes to RWS Rifle Match, Not sure how Rifle Match compares to the other RWS I tested (Target Rifle) which was mid-pack on my findings

Last edited by SteveS; 11/23/10.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Steve, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't exactly sure which one. I would think the match grade is better than the target rifle though.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (21, 257Bob, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 61 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,382
Posts18,527,587
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.