-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just bought my first CZ rifles on the same day: a 22 Hornet (small antelope) and a 9.3x62 (everything else). I loaded a bunch of 40gn V-max's and bought some PRVI Partzan 285gn.
With a brand new barrel, the Hornet shot less than 1 moa. That was with cold fingers and a 7 knot breeze on a stormy day.

The 9.3 shot to 1.5" with the very first 3 rounds out of a brand new barrel.

Where is the fun in that?!!! I wanted to spend all winter trying out different loads. All I need to do is practice...a lot! CZ rifles are boring...right out of the box!

Warm trails and blue skies!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed. One of the best values going. Hate the bass ackwards safety on the little ones, though. Wish they would change that and I would buy a couple.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
safariman,
I sure understand that. In fact, that's why I bought an M70 in -'06, so I could practice with the same "feel" and safety as that on my M70 .375 H&H. Doesn't work quite that way on the CZ's.
Having said that, while using the .22 Hornet today, I quickly adjusted to it to where it became "second nature."
In truth, if I didn't read forums with posts of those far and away more knowledgeable and experienced than me, I'd favor the CZ (550 American)-type safety or the older Ruger tang safety.

I was surprised how similar the two guns feel, though the 527 is quite a bit smaller and lighter.

Last edited by jetblueman; 11/19/10.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jetblueman,
How do you find the stock on the 9,3x62. A couple of years back I bought the CZ 550 in .375H&H , and the stock is absolutely crap. It feels like its made from hardboard and is really soft. I cant complain about the rest of the gun, feeds beautifully , strong action and everything an african working rifle should be. Im looking at trying to fit it with a Hogue stock, but still battling to get a hold of one in the States. They just dont want to ship them here...

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes the stock on the .375 H&H I tried a few years ago was horrible. Fat, big and ugly.
This is entireley different. I find the stock more appealing than the M70's I own. It is absolutely, stunningly beautiful wood, streamlined and the comb isn't as wide as on the M70, allowing my cheek to center over the stock more comfortably and be better centered to view through the scope. Generally the wood on these is very nice for a standard $800 rifle. Mine is handsome and one I am proud to own.

Last edited by jetblueman; 11/20/10.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am happy to hear that you are satisfied with your stock. Mine is absolute rubbish.
I'm scared if I hold it too firmly , that it will crack...

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Cool! How about a photo or two of the new rifles?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's some photos of a CZ 550 American in 9.3x62 that belongs to a friend of mine. He did a little custom work on it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.lone-star-armory.com/photos/sa/todd-impala-640.jpg[/img]

Cheers! [img]http://www.bunduki.com/bob/emoticons/beer2.gif[/img]
-Bob F.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Bob,
Thanks for posting those pics. I think the CZ 550 American is a handsome rifle out of the box, but I think it approaches looking like a reasonable "custom rifle" with just a few mods. That jeweled bolt is a nice touch and relatively inexpensive. I'm not a fan of barrel bands, but to each his own. The point is, that's a very nice looking rifle with successful field experience!

On a side note, can someone tell me the best way to post pics?
I'm a little tech-challenged in that area as I've had mixed success. Are you using Photobucket Bob? Which links do you attach from? (You can tell I'm clueless here!).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jetblueman
On a side note, can someone tell me the best way to post pics?
I'm a little tech-challenged in that area as I've had mixed success. Are you using Photobucket Bob? Which links do you attach from? (You can tell I'm clueless here!).

I have a Photobucket account that I have used in the past (and still do occasionally) but currently I have my own web server for storing my photos/pics.

Photobucket is probably the easiest way to get started. Just create a Photobucket user account. Then upload your photos from your computer to Photobucket. Photobucket will "hold your hand" and give you easy instructions to follow while uploading.

Once your photos are uploaded, then browse to them on the Photobucket website under your user account.

For posting pics on the forums, you'll want to use the "IMG code" link that displays when you move your mouse pointer over a photo on Photobucket's website. The link will begin and end with "[img] [/img]". (Without the quote marks.)

Just copy that link from PB and then paste that link into a message that you are posting on here.

Here's an example:

[Linked Image]

The link that displays the embedded photo above looks like this:
Code
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/bfaucett/n2094c_4.jpg[/IMG]

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
-Bob F.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Wow! That was exactly what I needed! Thanks Bob. BTW, is that a Cessna 310?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! That was exactly what I needed! Thanks Bob. BTW, is that a Cessna 310?

I'm glad I could help with the pic posting!

The airplane is a 1979 Piper Seminole, N2094C.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_PA-44_Seminole

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The above photos were taken at the Martin Johnson Airport in Chanute, Kansas back in November 2008.

I'm not a pilot but a good friend of mine is. He's got his instrument (IFR), multi-engine, and commercial ratings. I feel very safe when riding along with him! The above photos are from when we flew from Houston, Texas to Chanute, Kansas to go visit the Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum in Chanute.

The Martin and Osa Johnson Safari Museum
http://www.safarimuseum.com/

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Very nice, Bob. Been a few decades since I flew light twins. I fly the Hudson River Specials now...Airbus 320, like Captain Sully, except I try to stay out of water as much as possible

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I fly the Hudson River Specials now...Airbus 320...

Well, dang!! There's certainly nothing I can tell you about aircraft then! [Linked Image] I'm very impressed! smile

BTW, my pilot friend is currently getting some time in flying the right seat in a Pilatus PC-12. He'll be getting his type rating (I think that is what it is called) for the Pilatus PC-12 in the near future.

Also, here's a video that I think you will enjoy. Jimmy Buffet flies a 1929 Sikorsky S-38 amphibian. The aircraft is named "Osa's Ark" after the original S-38 owned by Martin and Osa Johnson. Click the pic below to play the video.

Cheers, my friend! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BFaucett
I fly the Hudson River Specials now...Airbus 320...

Well, dang!! There's certainly nothing I can tell you about aircraft then! [Linked Image] I'm very impressed! smile

BTW, my pilot friend is currently getting some time in flying the right seat in a Pilatus PC-12. He'll be getting his type rating (I think that is what it is called) for the Pilatus PC-12 in the near future.

Also, here's a video that I think you will enjoy. Jimmy Buffet flies a 1929 Sikorsky S-38 amphibian. The aircraft is named "Osa's Ark" after the original S-38 owned by Martin and Osa Johnson. Click the pic below to play the video.

Cheers, my friend! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

Bob,
Is that cool or what?!!! Thanks for sharing that clip and please wish your friend good success for me in his training. Did a fair amount of flight instruction decades ago. And BTW, there is plenty you can tell me about aircraft. I've been a pilot for 42 years and I am still learning!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BFaucett

The PC12 is a fine airplane. Can't argue with a company that builds mostly aerobatic planes except for the PC12...not your daddy's station wagon! Glad we've got 'em up here for work - fast planes make life in the North much easier, but single engine IFR over northern water doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For a very long time single engine over water was the norm. Think 180/205/ Beaver /Otter / Norseman and a lot of small end commercial is covered. Twin Beach on floats is relatively new like two decades up where I live and get flown.

Randy formerly posting as medicman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 1minute, 257robertsimp, 52 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,898
Posts18,518,425
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.