Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4621569 11/22/10
R
robl Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
What is your experience with Wiggy's stuff. A lot of good looking gear. Boots, sleeping bags, mittens. I would like some in input before dropping some money. Thanks.

GB1

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I have the two bag FTRSS system of Wiggy's with a 35 and 0 degree that you can zip together for a -40 degree bag. I've had them probably 7 years now.

I haven't used them in over 3 years though and I only keep them around in case I do some car camping or for an emergency. The temperature ratings seemed a little hopeful for me mainly because they weren't really good about cinching around the head. A lot of other bags do a better job in this area. I have a regular long and it is heavier then 4 lbs that he has listed on his webpage. I'd have to dig it out to to let you know for sure though.

I have some friends up in Alaska who love them and if I was using a 4 wheeler and needed something good to -40 I would probably consider them but they aren't what I need for around here.

Those same friends use some of his clothing and love it but I don't have any experience with it.

Hope that helped.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a poncho liner from them. Made very well and is warm but packs down like an angry black bear.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
There was a long discussion on Wiggy gear on the Backpacker forum. Need to read it before you buy. phil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 10yo ultimate thule. I have done the bag no favors in its life and it still works well. his stuff is typicically heavy, nichey, and odd, but well made in my expierience. I will never give them my email addy again.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by chinadill
There was a long discussion on Wiggy gear on the Backpacker forum. Need to read it before you buy. phil

I was thinking the same thing. I was out hunting last week went it was started. I went over there to link it and couldn't find it, I think it got deleted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love Wiggys sleeping bags and won't own anything else as weight is not a concern for me like it is for most here. I don't own any of his clothing but if it's anything like his bags, then you can bet it is good stuff.

Have been thinking about getting a pair of the Wiggy Waders but haven't thrown down on those yet. Most of the hatred for Wiggys stuff is from past history with the man himself, personally I have no issues with him, though I buy all my Wiggy stuff from Taylor here in Ak. He has a few bags that I would consider light enough to be back packing bags and weigh around the 3 lb mark. YMMV.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have a set of Wiggy's ultralite waders that work great for backpack hunts that involve mulitple stream crossings or getting in and out of float planes/boats. They are not the most durable waders I've ever had, but for weight and packability they do the trick.

I also own an Ultima Thule (-20) bag. For being a -20 synthetic sack, 5lbs is not outragous for weight, but as WoodsWalker said, the thing compresses like an angry bear(or at least to the size of angry bear)! Overall the bag is warm as hell and seems to do as advertised.

"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Just ordered a Parka, looked really nice on the site. I'll chime in here when it arrives and has seen some light.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My partner & I each got a pair of their light weight stream crossing boots.
Overall, I think the design is pretty good - they strap to your belt like a pair of hip boots. The negatives:
We've used them on 2 trips to the same location and used them to cross a glacial fed creek. They seem to puncture easily and even though I haven't rammed anything into the bottom portion, I've got at least 1 hole in one of mine. The upper part is fabric and either it or the seams leak as well. They aren't entirely waterproof.
My partner has considered looking/getting something else. For me, I think I'm going to find where the leaks are then run Boot Goop over any holes and over the seams. I'll then spray the entire fabric section with spray on silicon.
I think they're too expensive for what we've found they do but. I might buy something else if I find something lightweight for back packing.
Just our experience.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's what has kept me from buying a pair of the waders, I was worried about the fabric not holding up. I'll have to ask Taylor about that when he returns from his trip to the lower 48.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The waders, IMHO( I have a pair) are not worth it. For the bulk and weight a featherweight pair of waist waders isn't much more. If you carry a good pair of crocs along like we do for camp booties .... put the stocking foot waders and and the crocs on snug, and carefully cross.... you'll be ahead of the game IMHO.

There is some of his stuff that i like. I really like the bags. Not for backpacking but they are good bags for truck camping.

We bought the sleeping pads too. Total junk. Compress to much to the floor of the woods, and leave you cold. if they were inflatable... then it would be better, but they are not so they compress too much.

Carolyn has the insulated booties for sleeping and such as her feet get cold and they do have a good enough bottom to go out at night if needed.

Wiggy is abrasive. Taylor not so much in my conversations. But Taylor has drank the coolaid totally.. and as such has not admitted to me anyway, the shortcomings of some of the gear.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a couple of the FTRSS sleeping bags. I really like them and have never had any problems with them. Very well made, and warm. The downside is the weight. Weighing in at over 12lbs, this system isn't for backpack hunting.
I also own a pair of their fish-net underwear that Jerry sold me on. Still to this day, I don't get how it keeps my warms...must be the next to skin air pockets it creates.
I have been to the Wiggy's factory in Grand Junction, CO a couple of times. I have talked personally with Jerry Wigutow. He took time out of his day to personally show me around the factory, and explain the history of the company. Really a nice guy! They even opened the doors to me and my girlfriend and some friends on a Saturday (not normally open)in order to let them tour the factory.

Fair Chase Hunter
NRA Lifer
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I forgot about the fishnets.

Wiggys only problem is he thinks he is the very best there is and his arrogance is that everyone else is stupid. Like I've said, some of his stuff works well enough. But he isn't the end all to every situation even though he'd have you think so.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't say his bags are only good for truck camping. We use ours for all our hunting trips, rather they be in the mountains or in our atv accessible moose camp. Taylor had a bag made that is suppose to be the lightest of all the Wiggy bags, it's called the Glacier Hunter and it weighs in about 3lbs and I believe it is a 15 degree rated bag.

Only reason I even considered the Wiggy Waders was for our sheep hunts where we are required to cross several streams to get to our hunting locale. We want something lightweight and durable, crossing Alaska's streams can take a toll on your feet/legs without some sort of protection for them. I like the idea of the crocs because the issue I have when crossing streams is the rocks on the bottom, they do a number on my feet and on a sheep hunt we all know how important it is to take care of one's feet.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I should have said any camping other than backpacking... but we've used em on backpacks too... its not the extra pound or so that kills me so much as it is the horrible bulk. But depending on expected weather possibles... we still carry the Wiggys at times.

The crocs deal works... We always carried a pair of them to crawl out of the tipi at night with..... but considering the lightweight of todays waist high stocking foots... and the fact that the neoprene bottoms help protect, and slip the crocks on and life is better... no ankle support/protection...but better than nothing IMHO.

The wiggys wader was bound to fail unless used in sand bottom creeks only... you are putting them over HARD boots and then exposed to rocks and such... not a good recipe.

Like I said, lots of good stuff, and enough stuff thats not worht a flip, like any other company almost...(Kifaru though I have yet to see a bad design... though one pack I have from them is as good as any of my others, its not better....)

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PS how's the weather today? My buddies fiance was on the phone to Anc last night hoping her family made it out for their wedding down here on Friday, and somehow they all made it out and arrived last night. I think more friends are due though... that could be rough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last night it was pouring rain, hardest i've seen in a while but the weather has calmed down, it was 40 degrees when I drove into work this morning. It's suppose to cool off and we are expecting snow later today and tomorrow.

I've looked at a lot of the Kifaru stuff, most looks pretty good but that 3 piece bag system seems a bit far fetched. I can't imagine ever wearing a part of my sleeping bag as clothing and with all those zippers one would think it wouldn't be that warm.

Steelhead

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ultima Thule bag, no complaints.

Sleeping pad, don't bother, but the dog likes it.

Cagoule, favorite raingear.

Antarctic Parka, never been cold in it, combined w/ cagoule for wind protection. This down to -20 with wind. It must be 10 years old now. When I was shopping around for an insulated parka, it was between Apocalypse Design (currently ~$1000 w/ fur ruff), Northern outfitters (currently ~ $500), and Wiggys ( currently $325 w/ fur ruff). I wouldn't mind owning an Apocalypse Design parka but I cannot justify spending that kind of money when the Wiggys parka is so comparatively cheap and well constructed.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I fully agree with your comments about Wiggy. He and I rammed heads over a sleeping bay and the warranty. I seriously dislike the man. Mark to his credit did what he could to remedy my situation. Mark sells and likes the stuff. Mark also uses the stuff and I think Mark is credible. Due to my experience with Wiggy anything he sells is off my wish list.
Pete

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 48 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,666
Posts18,474,725
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.