Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
High Brass and I went deer hunting. It got up to 70 and was pretty breezy in the AM but a day in the woods is better than anywhere else. I fixed Saddlers smoked brisket, sweet potato fries, and grillin' beans for Thanksgiving dinner. My wife is at the in-laws in SC with her sisters.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wife and I spent today finishing up our open water certification here in Cozumel. Sunshine and 80*..water temp 78*

Rough life

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Wife and I spent today finishing up our open water certification here in Cozumel. Sunshine and 80*..water temp 78*

Rough life

No kidding - last time I dove the water temp was 48 degrees and vis was close to 7 inches. Max depth was 126 feet.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Flew up to Mpls to spend today and thru the weekend with our son, DIL and 11 month old grandson. Just finished a fine meal of turkey, duck, stuffing, sweet taters, mashed taters and gravy, fried brussel sprouts w/ bacon, fresh green beans and carrots. Enough left over to feed us for a week. Tomorrow, our daughter might drop in, too, she and her BF had plans with other friends today and won't be back until tomorrow some time. I hadn't seen grandson in 9 months - he's growing like a weed and has a personality like his father did at that age. Hope he turns out as good. Having a great time doing nothing but watching him play and explore everything. Gramma's living the high life this Thanksgiving . . . so am I. Punkin pie's about ready . . . See ya.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, let's see. I went to my Mom's at 9:00 and put the turkey in the oven. My cousin (who I hate) came to visit from New York and parked behind our 3 cars. I was in the can when my Aunt tried to get her car out and drove over 5 feet of privet hedge and got stuck. I had to cut my morning constitution short and go out and cut out a bunch of privet hedge and drag her car out into the street with my truck. At least the turkey was in the oven.

I went back inside and made Italian wedding soup with little meatballs, butternut squash, mashed potatoes and a green bean casserole.

We had a nice dinner followed by apple, pecan and squash pie. My cousin corrected me when I said wings were white meat (she's wrong). I managed to fan a little gas in her direction under the table. I washed dishes for 3 hours. I ended the days watching the Cowboys lose to the Saints. Dude should have kept both hands on the ball.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
for several yrs we would get a duck huntin group together -from freinds to relatives both here in Az and Cali- plan a 4-5 day huntin trip to Alamo lake - Everyone we knew was invited and sometimes we had 4-5 boats and 15-20 people - This yr. we didnt even really get excited - with the economy and all - afraid it may just be a thing of the past as kids grew up and some people taint quite on the freinds list anymore - oh well times are achangin - Az

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well compared to you all my life is boring but here it is. I spent the day with my wife, children and their significant others and our grandchildren. This is the first year since I was 12 that I haven't deer hunted like I wanted to, or planned on. But I was stricken with a very sever leg infection in both my right and left leggs. The doctors told me that the leggs will never be right again and that I am damn lucky that I didn't loose them both just like that. They say the the healing process with take months but that with the right care I should be able to walk at least some. The only thing that bothers me is that I can't walk in my woods or in the rivers that I have fished for most of my life. The cold bothers my leggs so much that I guess ice fishing is over too. But, what we did do today was much more important then hunting or fishing or feeling sorry for myself. I spent the day Thanking God Almighty for all the blessings of the last year and praying that they continue into the next. We where blessed to have our 8th grandchild LUKE with us this day, his first Thanksgiving. We had my mother with us (this is the second Thanksgiving without my dad)today and a dear friend that has no close family to spend the holiday with. We ate turkey and all the rest of the goodies including a great pumkin pie till we could eat no more. We shared some good wine and a few shots of a real nice single barrel bourbon. Next we filled several boxes with much needed and wanted items for our service man and women. We have done this since our son died in Iraq a few years ago. We get the boxes together now so that they arrive in the field in time for Christmas. Well the kids all left a few min ago and I thought I would check in here at the fire, my online family. So to one and all - here's wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Staying off the highway and letting the drunks run over each other!! Houseful of family....watching ballgames and eating great plates fixed by all the women! Smoked 15 Turks and 15 briskets yesterday!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

The Wife and I spent the day and the two before at a great B&B overlooking the ocean in Mendocino <wwwvictorianfarmhouse.com) Yesterday took a ride inland through the redwoods, stopped in Boonville and bought a bottle of wine then circled back to the coast where we enjoyed a picnic on the beach. Absolutely perfect weather, sunny, high 60's, no wind.

Later we took dinner at the Little River Inn <www.littleriverinn.com>, The Wife had traditional I had lamb shanks and polenta washed down with a fine Medocino Cabernet. Back to the B&B where we enjoyed the wood fire instead of doing dishes. We even have leftovers.

I highly recommend both of these establishments.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Second year that my niece came from Cali and she wanted to ride the horse again... guess it's a tradition now...

Kent

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
wow Cheesy, just read your post, guess I wouldn't be quail hunting even if I was home.

man that's a shame, have the turkeys just taken over the habitat? Or what has happened to the quail population?

I'd have to say in some ways quail hunting is my most favorite type of hunting. walkin dry ground, lots of shooting, not heavy to pack, sit down while cleaning them and drink a beer, and then the grail, a mess of quail and homemade gravy.

I'd trade 20 turkeys for a mess of quail right now

I agree, its been a long time since I've had enough quail to make a mess. Love to filet the breasts off and then season flour and fry. Good Eats.

There's tons of speculation on why we don't have them anymore. Fescue always gets the blame, road ditch to road ditch farming, no hedge rows anymore, extreme clean farming, wet springs, bad winters, hawks and owls, you name it, everybody says they contribute to the falling numbers.

There are still a few around, hear them whistling in the spring, but nothing like it was 30 or 40 years ago. I caught the tail end of the good hunting when I grew up in the early 90's. The same place that we'd move 6 or 7 coveys on then has 1 covey that I know of now.

tks Cheesy, don't miss home near as bad now, loved to hunt them loved to eat them. My cousin is/was one of the best wingshots I've ever seen. Incredible how many quail he killed in a couple of seasons over two very good dogs

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (1badf350, 338reddog, 2ndwind, 117LBS, 204guy, 1lessdog, 27 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,791
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.