Print Thread
Hop To
#4631951 11/25/10
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
My wife and I are planning a PG hunting trip and I have several questions since it will be out first such trip. We will have a much better idea after the DSC in Jan. when we chose an outfitter. Our health insurance is not valid outside of the US so any suggestions as what to do about insurance while in Africa? She will also be hunting and using a different rifle so can the two rifles be packaged together or must they they be seperrated? What brand of rifle case would you recommend for the trip? Do you think a 7mm-08 with the proper bullet will be enough for most of the PG? I will be shooting a 30-06 and plan on letting her shoot it some before we get in the air headed toward Africa and maybe have to only take one gun. I know there is some hassel taking a gun into Africa but how much trouble is there in getting it back into the states? Any other information is welcomed. Thanks

GB1

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is a place to start with a good book. I hunted with Jim on my first safari in 2005 and had a great time:
http://www.amazon.com/Africa-First-..._9?ie=UTF8&qid=1290724892&sr=8-9

My wife used a 7mm-08 in 2008 with the Barnes 140 grain TSX. Killed a warthog, kudu, and klipspringer. All one shot kills. Your 30-06 will be about perfect. I will pre-empt Jim Hackiewicz right now and tell you that he prefers 30 cal or larger with herding plains game animals as it makes a better blood trail for tracking.

Cabelas bullet proof cases are good. http://www.cabelas.com/gun-cases-cabelas-bullet-proof-large-scoped-rifle-case-7.shtml Use a service like Air 2000 for your meet and greet. http://www.hunterssupport.com/ I have never had a problem with rifles in 4 trips. Go to US Customs and list your guns, camera, computer, bino, ect on a Form 4457. This acts as proof of ownership and the African countries treat it like a firearm license.

I can't help you with the health insurance but depending on where you go you might want evacuation insurance.
https://www.globalrescue.com/

Have you thought about what country you want to hunt? Namibia and South Africa are good for the first time hunter.

I have covered the basics. You should get a lots of replies and hints in the coming days. Good luck, as you can't go just once. This trip is going to cost you big time after you realize you have to go back again and again.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look at Global Rescue for emergency services and evacuation back to the states. Thy will pick you up in the field and work all arrangements to get you stabilized and back to the states.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forgo Dalla SCI and send a PM to JJHAck here at 24hrcf. Great guy and operation. I will be hunting with him soon. At the same time, he will give you a copy of his book for first time Africa hunters. RSA is not nearly as dangerous as many other places and the supposed dangers of a typical plains game hunt are much over worried about by most.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will second what safariman said. While I went with another PH JJHack was most gracious, knowledgeable and always willing to answer my innane and odd questions. If I have another opportunity to go, JJHack will be seeing my smiling face up close and personal.

The SCI meetings, while great fun, may not be your best resources.

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
IC B2

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
shakariconnection.com for all you answers and more.

Some here have presumed you are going to South Africa and personally I would be a bit more adventurous and hunt the wilds of old Africa to the north.

Note your PG could include Hippo and Croc which are both challenging to hunt.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Namibia is a good place for a first time safari. If you are at DSC stop and speak with Gunter Schwalm from Omalanga Safaris.

www.travelguard.com has some good options for insurance.

Jim

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Definately go to Dallas. Talk to as many different operations as you can. Here is who I hunted with in 2008. Several others, here on the board have hunted with them, also.

www.cruisersafaris.com/

Their agent, here in the states is 1st class and top notch. Listen to him and he makes getting to/from Africa seamless and easy.

maddog

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
My wife and I are planning a PG hunting trip and I have several questions since it will be out first such trip. We will have a much better idea after the DSC in Jan. when we chose an outfitter.

For whatever outfitter you choose, before you pay check with others who have hunted with said outfitter, preferably by phone or in person.

Our health insurance is not valid outside of the US so any suggestions as what to do about insurance while in Africa?

Get a Global Rescue membership. Not only will they extract you if you're seriously sick or injured but they also provide for medical bills in Africa.

What brand of rifle case would you recommend for the trip?

I have a Strong Case which is made of aluminum and has detachable wheels. It's VERY well made. Every time I've been to the SCI and DSC conventions, that company has had a display so you can see them for yourself.

Do you think a 7mm-08 with the proper bullet will be enough for most of the PG?

I hunted with a PH who did a lot of culling. His rifle of choice for things like springbok, blue wildebeest, etc. was a 22-250 so a 7mm/08 should be enough. Of course, bullet placement is a big part of the equation and you have more flexibility in the shots you can take with something with more power.

I will be shooting a 30-06 and plan on letting her shoot it some before we get in the air headed toward Africa and maybe have to only take one gun. I know there is some hassel taking a gun into Africa but how much trouble is there in getting it back into the states?

It's not that much hassle in getting a gun into South Africa and from what I hear Namibia is even easier. The last time I went I used Air2000 for pre-approved firearm permits and my time from de-planeing until I was through customs with gun permit in hand may have been as much as 30 minutes. As long as you complete your U. S. Customs form 4457 before you go and keep it with you, there is no problem in getting your guns back into the U.S. You will also need this form to take your guns into Africa. To get said form completed, download them from the internet, fill them out with a description of the gun with serial number, take it with your guns to a U. S. Customs office and they'll put their official stamp on it. Make copies of every document you take with you because various officials may need a copy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You will get a lot of recommendations from folks here for a host of different operations in Namibia and the RSA. I think that speaks well for the industry and the quality of most operations. I would strongly suggest picking up the phone and calling Jack Atcheson Jr www.atcheson.com or one of the other good consultants. You can have a follow-up with him at Dallas. You are bringing a spouse and will have certain concerns and questions which are unique to your hunt. A consultant is really good at working throught that sort of nuance, to recomend a destination which is the right fit. I think this is particularly true on a first African hunt. Things like tents vs thatched bungalos vs lodges can matter - particularly to a spouse.

Recently, I watched a couple show up at a tented camp in the Caprivi with two samll children in tow for a 14 day DG hunt (elephant and buff) and plains game hunt - a first time African Safari (this included a locally procured vidographer). This was a comfortable camp with a world respected PH, BUT it was also an outdoor plumbing camp in the dead of winter. As I left, I was overwhelmed with the grand adventure I had experienced; they did not look to be having a lot of fun at all. They had booked directly with the outfitter (at DSC) based upon his well-earned reputation for finding his clients good buff and bulls. A consultant would have made sure they had considered all those other angles which go into a first hunt.

I really like tuffpak www.nalpak.com/Tuffpak gun cases. One will easily handle two rifles, and the best part is they ride inside in softcases, which you will be glad you have once you are in country.

I would give Jack a call. Have a grand trip!

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A BIG +1 on Namibia,..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Go Zambia. And hunt your plains game in dangerous game country.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very kind of Andrew to mention our site. It's a free info site rather than a commercial one but you'll find something in the region of 600 pages of free info to help you there.

I'll also second his idea of hunting PG in a dangerous game area because you'll get a much more realistic idea of what Africa is truly all about.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,570
Posts18,491,864
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.