-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Recently, I have become addicted to reloading my Tikka3. I realized that the OEM magazine will not hold several type of custom ammo that are set on or near the lands. I have asked around for an aftermarket mag and spoke with a couple distributers and pretty much got the same answer. If you reload your own ammo and have an OAL greater than 2.890 you have to hand feed each round. My current load is 2.950 which is .010 off the lands. So, here is my resolution and looking for volunteers to assist.

My brother runs a Co. that is in the business of precision machining and injection molds. It just so happens that his Co is also registered as an Arms manufactoring Co. and is based in CA. He has agreed to manufacture aftermarket magazines for the Tikka3 starting with the .300WSM. We need a few magazines to reverse engineer. They do not need to be in working order just in one piece, cracked or broken cases are fine. In return, we will send you one finished prototype as a replacement once completed. This could take several months to complete because its being done as a favor and without funding.

Anyone interested let me know.

Member Safari Club International, Puget Sound Chapter www.sciseattlepsc.com
Member Honor Them Foundation Organization
www.honorthermfoundation.org
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I sure would like to have on of those magazines so I can lengthen out my OAL. The only mag I got is in the gun and needed this week.Let me know if you get any made I'll buy one in a minute.

B
OP Offline
B
Sure will. Ill post here once I have the final product.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'll buy a couple for a .223 if they're reasonably priced, but like knifeman, I want to hold onto the one I've got.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
OP Offline
B
Depending on the success of this product, will determine future products. I hear ya on keeping the one you got. Because the originals where made out of PVC plastic I was hoping to find one that was cracked, broken or not usuable. Seems crazy to spend $64 for an OEM plastic version just to destroy and reverse engineer if another was available. It cost a couple grand to create a mold for these and even more to mass produce. If we get enough interest in one product we can move forward with others as well. This should be capable to use with the same calibers as the original OEM version. ie 270 WSM and .300 WSM Tikka rifles.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you need one for a med. cartridge (.243, 708, .308), shoot me a pm. Everything under 180's fit, when you get to 180's, you need to "tune" the mag a bit...

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Why not modify the factory mag?

RLTW
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by greentimber

I buzzed a small channel, maybe 3/16" wide in the mag at the bullet tip. Used a dremmel tool.

I load 165 g accubonds for my 30 06.
Did not need to modify the mag for hunting accuracy.

Just did it because...

B
OP Offline
B
About modifying the OEM version: Well, this was my first thougt. I spoke with a couple differnt gunsmiths and shop owners and pretty much got the same result. Tried but failed with the OEM mag. The OEM mag is made up of PVC plastic and could be cut but I dont think it could be done without splitting the case, removing the compression plate:trimming then replacing and glue the thing back. A lot of work for someone without the tools. So, why not make make an aftermarket version for reloaders. If there is enough demand we can do other calibers as well.

B
OP Offline
B
I buzzed a small channel, maybe 3/16" wide in the mag at the bullet tip. Used a dremmel tool.

Why not offer an aftermarket mag that fits those rounds? Seems a bit easier then cutting out a channel for the larger loads when you have so much room at the butt of the brass to lengthen the OAL?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems that a $65 expenditure on your part wouldn't hurt since you're going to pay $2000 to have a mold made. Any patent infringements here?

B
OP Offline
B
Maybe I didnt explain this correctly. Its not me that is doing the work or taking the risk, its my Brother who is doing this out of a business that he currently operates out of Ca. I told him of my situation and requested he look into this. He took it to the owner and got approval. I would assume based on the possibility of making money off of production.
I dont believe its a Patent infringement to reverse engineer a product unless your intention is to create the exact product that is protected under the Patent statute.

This production is only for creating a NEW product that is similar to the OEM product only in size and tolerances. By reverse engineering a product, you save thousands in tooling and labor.

Sure, this is not a cheap alternative for a one off production. A mold is good for at least a few thousand injections so the thought process is we can produce and sell enough to make up for the cost of tooling and labor then its worth the effort. if not, then there wont be a aftermarket product for, lets say the .223 version.

Make sense?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I understand most of that. Still, $65 apiece for about 5 different pieces you can take apart at will seems to be a small $$$ outlay compared to the thousands you stand to make. Go for it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CDI Precision makes a beautiful DBM replacement that uses Accuracy International magazines. I have a T3 Tactical in 223 that is going there soon for update. The AI magazine functions with OAL out as far as 2.50" and that will get all the heavies to the lands in my rifle. I think it costs $250 plus labor to install but IMHO worth it to get the best use of that 1 in 8 twist.
As for poly mags being breakable, we ran over a T/C Icon poly mag with a 1 ton truck. The floor plate popped of but as soon as the mag was reassembled it ran a mag full of rounds thru the action without a hitch. The poly, in some instances, can out perform metal.

I'm shoot4fun on Accurate Shooter Forum and you can see my feedback there.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Great idea and I hope it works out. The Mag on my 300WM T3 causes me to seat some bullets so deep the ogive is at or below the case mouth.

You can replace the bolt stop on the SA carts to a LA bolt stop and LA mag. I swapped them on a 338 Federal to load tipped bullets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by greentimber

I did. That's what I was getting at. wink

Square it up on a mill, and auger the front out a bit. I gained .040"

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,082
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.