Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Who makes the best Gen 3 in 4 or 6 power night vision rifle scope? I have been looking at the Mars 4 & 6 , the Night Optics D-760. I have also looked at the new WPT or White Phosphor Technology which might be better than the Green, not really sure but they or in the same price range. I would like some info from someone who has experience using one or both of these scopes.

I also posted this in the Optic Forum

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

Ost Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
These are the guys to talk to. http://www.tacticalnightvision.com/

Also swing by the night-vision forum on ARFCOM, there is a lot of useful information there.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=18

I hate escalators. I slipped and fell down the steps for an hour and a half.
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a member of the AR15 FORUM but can't remember if i'm member of TN Forum

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Night vision vs thermal? I"d always thought thermal once I saw it.... but geez the $$$$

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Night vision vs thermal? I"d always thought thermal once I saw it.... but geez the $$$$

Thermal is it & the $$$$$$$$!
In 2005 my son sent me pretty graphic nite scope pics/vids from some Iraq nite firefights he was in using the thermal vision....love that thermal scope, makes all the others look like a Model T!
That said...I have looked through a Nite Optics D740 and would like to have that for nite coyote hunting/calling myself.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
IC B2

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
night coyote hunting is why i want a night vision scope

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
you could always go with a PVS14 mounted in front of a daytime scope. TNVS carries mounts that attach the PVS to the objective bell of the scope. I've used one with a Nikon 2.5-10 mildot and I could see the scope reticle against the NV image very well.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
How was the night vision image of the PVS14?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I looked up some google links... did appear like it would work and decent vision... didn't mention how FAR you can get that way...

But its interesting enough that if I could find an affordable one.... Id' figure out how to moutn it in front of my scope too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by kwg020; 12/01/10.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have a corn field next to my house. At 200 yards I could watch deer in it. At lower powers on the scope, the reticle is clear and easily seen. At higher powers (over 6 or thereabouts) the arrangement caused sort of a tunnel vision where you're looking through a tube. With an IR illuminator I could spot mice in the grass. Their eyes would glow like an LED. I've spotted that LED from 80 yards or more.

Talk to the guy at TNVS. He has used the PVS set up and had some pics of the images he posted on AR15.com. I tried pics, but my camera is crap and wouldn't focus through the scope right.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm saving for the 760D Gen 3 , 6 power.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
It should be noted that a PVS-14 will NOT work in front of a day scope. It must be used behind it, as the pvs-14 is giving you an image of the target and will result in POI changes relative to POA. One needs a PVS-22 to work in front of a day optic, and that runs into some serious dough, almost thermal imaging type dough. I have had the best luck using the 14 behind my Aimmpoint M2, as there are no issues with eye relief. Other than that, I would go with a dedicated night optic if you want magnification. The D760 is a good one. I am going to get mine out after some yotes next week.

Last edited by countryboy73; 12/13/10.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So you are saying that in front of changes the impact somehow? Don't get that, as the scope never needs to be illuminated even with normal light... just the target.

Its another one of those I don't get why folks want illuminated crosshairs deal... if you can see the target, you'll see non illum just fine.

Given the above example with normal light, whether that be moon or artificial, you use as is and the impact doesn't change.

????

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by countryboy73
It should be noted that a PVS-14 will NOT work in front of a day scope. It must be used behind it, as the pvs-14 is giving you an image of the target and will result in POI changes relative to POA.

Then a PVS-14 should work behind a scout scope then.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
how about the raptor...m644 or m646?

E_8!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by rost495
So you are saying that in front of changes the impact somehow? Don't get that, as the scope never needs to be illuminated even with normal light... just the target.

Its another one of those I don't get why folks want illuminated crosshairs deal... if you can see the target, you'll see non illum just fine.

Given the above example with normal light, whether that be moon or artificial, you use as is and the impact doesn't change.

????

In essence, when mounting the NOD in front of the scope, you are looking through the scope at a generated image as opposed to the target itself. When mounting the NOD behind the scope, you are looking at a generated image of the crosshairs as aimed at the target. Hard to explain but very simple principle once you understand how the PVS-14 works. With a scout scope and the NOD mounted behind said scope, you should be good to go, I think. Never tried it to see if there would be any problems, but I think it would work.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cool, don't have a clue how PVS14 works. Don't really much care to understand but would like to have the night vision ability. SO I know now how to work towards that.

Thanks, Jeff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

335 members (257wthbylover, 222ND, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 270cowboy, 50 invisible), 17,531 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,992
Posts18,540,210
Members74,053
Most Online21,066

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.