Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One thing I haven't seen emphasized in this post enough is rifle fit.

If a double really fits you, you can hit an apple-sized target at 25 yards without even using the sights. This is one of the big virtues of the double rifle.

The Heym doubles fit me better than the Merkels, which means nothing much except we are each different, and therefore may be served best by different rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
JB, thanks for that observation. Unless the choice is to have a Searcy built to fit, it seems worthwhile to handle a few DBs before committing to a particular one.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One thing I haven't seen emphasized in this post enough is rifle fit.

A fair observation - and an excellent point. I shot a RH Chapuis LH once, and I can highly recommend against the practice!

For me, it was pretty much a given that I needed to go with a Heym or Searcy in order to get a LH stock and LH triggers. (I was a little apprehensive taking measurements at home and e-mailing the form to Heym, but man! - they nailed it. It fits perfectly. )

I do agree that if you're going to spend this much on a rifle, it should be fitted to the owner (over and above the mechanics of using a double).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JB
you are corrext about fit. Most upland game bird hunters make wing shots instinctually, and a disproportionate number are head and neck shots.
Ramdy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My PH in Kitiangare back in July, on the subject of doubles, told me that he knew four PH's who had gotten rid of their Searcy's because of various problems that couldn't be fixed, no matter how many times they shipped them back. FWIW. I got no dog in this fight.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Mule deer is spot on, rifle fit is all important, especially with a DGR...and that also applies to a bolt gun, or any other gun, and a proper fitting low comb iron sighted bolt gun will point and handle as well as any double, fit is fit, has nothing to do with the action type.

If a rifle doesn't fit you, don't just ignore it because its a Searcy, Merkel or Holland and Holland, either grab a cabinet makers rasp and go to work if your so inclined, or take to your local stockmaker, it won't cost you all that much..

I would not own a gun that didn't come up on target every time, even a deer rifle ought to do that, but many have chosen to ignore this fact and use them as they come...Their saving grace is the ability of the human body to adjust to about any rifle with a minimum of practice! This has always been an amazement to me and a most overlooked subject. Either overlooked are perhaps unrealized or an unknown subject perhaps. I don't know which or why, I only know its a fact.

Last edited by atkinson; 11/06/09.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by atkinson
I believe the best double on the market is the Searcy ... My .470 was regulated for 108 grs. of IMR-4831 and clocked my chronograph at 2245 FPS..Hard to shoot, recoil was hanious to say the least, so I loaded it down with RL-15, with a filler to 2020 FPS and it shot to the same POI, which most Searcy rifle will do ...

Ray, this info is real helpful. What bullet was your 470 Searcy regulated with? In looking at the recoil calculation the 2245 FPS load in an 10.5 lb rifle is about 75 ft-lbs (a real bruiser) while the 2020 fps RL-15 load is about 57 ft-lbs (much easier for a follow-up shot).

Do you have any opinion on the 470NE 2020 fps load for use on elephant? I know you're OK with the 450-400 on elephant, but for a DR to be used on elephant only - not on buffalo - would your choice be the 450-400 over the 470NE at 2020 fps?

As you may know the Krieghoff DR doesn't offer a 450 3 1/4" chambering (my preferred choice) so if this DR were my choice, this question would be important. I'm not considering the 500-416 chambering because IMHO it's not a sufficient step up in power and penetration from the 450-400.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Carl, sent you a PM with some questions about your experience with the Krieghoff DR.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Originally Posted by atkinson
I believe the best double on the market is the Searcy ... My .470 was regulated for 108 grs. of IMR-4831 and clocked my chronograph at 2245 FPS..Hard to shoot, recoil was hanious to say the least, so I loaded it down with RL-15, with a filler to 2020 FPS and it shot to the same POI, which most Searcy rifle will do ...

Ray, this info is real helpful. What bullet was your 470 Searcy regulated with? In looking at the recoil calculation the 2245 FPS load in an 10.5 lb rifle is about 75 ft-lbs (a real bruiser) while the 2020 fps RL-15 load is about 57 ft-lbs (much easier for a follow-up shot).

Do you have any opinion on the 470NE 2020 fps load for use on elephant? I know you're OK with the 450-400 on elephant, but for a DR to be used on elephant only - not on buffalo - would your choice be the 450-400 over the 470NE at 2020 fps?

As you may know the Krieghoff DR doesn't offer a 450 3 1/4" chambering (my preferred choice) so if this DR were my choice, this question would be important. I'm not considering the 500-416 chambering because IMHO it's not a sufficient step up in power and penetration from the 450-400.

FYI, Rich Tabor, a Ph with whom I have hunted thirteen elephants, uses a Kreighoff 470. For eles his load runs fast, maybe 2250fps or so. Penetration is fine with 500gr Woodleighs at whatever the speed his load delivers. He's told me he loads hot for ele, and he told me the velocity, but I'm not sure it is 2250fps, but it is HOT. No issues with his rifle, and it shoots well at those velocities.

2020fps with a 500gr .458" bullet is marginal for penetration. Increasing the diameter to .474" and keeping velocity constant will decrease penetration, and that is not a good thing.

The 450/400 is a fine buff cartridge, and would be an adequate elephant cartridge, though not the cartridge for lots of elephant hunting, imo and in history. I would prefer a 375H&H to a 450/400 though. Better penetration and equal energy. Neither is a stopper.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 11/07/09.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Well, I've found a source of DRs locally, so by the end of the week I will have gotten to handle a few DRs. I'm told a couple are 470s, at least one a Heym, as well as a 500NE Kreighoff - might as well look at it since I'll have the chance. Most intriguing is a purportedly RG Owen 600NE. shocked confused Didn't know he made anything other than small bore bolts, but we'll see.

Should have a better idea by next week of a definitive direction.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I can attest to two things: George at Champlin is the guy to steer you and at age 60, I do struggle a bit with open irons on a very nice Chapuis 9.3x74 though they are very good with an ivory bead front.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Wildcatter,
I was using GS Customs Flat point solids and North Fork cup points in the Searcy .470, however it was regulated and sighted in with Woodleigh softs and solids..It shot them all to the same POI and at 2245 FPS or 2020 FPS...This is one of the triumphs of a Searcy, they seem to shoot a lot of stuff to the same POI at different velocities...I REALLY like that. Why it is I don't know but I have owned 4 of them and they all have shot most load combinations to the same POI...No other doubles I have owned will do this very well..I was limited to Woodleigh solids in both my English doubles until I had them re-regulated.

I don't know if this common to all Searcys but having had 4 that all did the same is a pretty darn good borometer I would think

The Kreighoffs don't fit me at all and I think the action itself is too long, and that safety/trigger combo is a wreck looking for a place to happen under a stressfull situation IMO...at least it is for me.

As for repairs and breakdowns, double rifles are not tough like a bolt gun, and that is the reason the English of yesterday hunted with them then sent them back for a check up and re-black every year...I always sent my English doubles to L&L for a check up after a hunt, he would tighten the face, check the springs, shoot it a few times and send it back, good to go..Cheap insurance for you life..the upside is a good sidelock double is two guns, not one, if one side goes heywire, the other side still works and you have a single shot, thats good if your isolated for years at a time....

All this was the beauty of a doublegun in yesteryear, Today a double is pure nostalgia, A good bolt action is,and in fact, probably a better choice for most African sport hunters..They simply would be better off with a good bolt gun...

I will probably get hammered for that last statement as the double gun afficiendos are real touchy about their passion, but its a fact of life, and as much as I love double rifles, I do understand they are what they are...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hello

I have owned/own several double rifles and the Krieghoff is hard to beat!! If you have any problems or need work there right here in the US. I bought a 500/416 with a Zeiss 1.5-6 rail mount scope and it's a great balenced gun. The gun has a recoil tube in the butt and my gun balances right on the pin.

If you damage the stock you can get a replacement from Krieghoff at a resonable price and they need little to fit. I love English doubles there are none finer but you will have to spend 25-30,000 at the low side. You would do yourself good to get a Krieghoff in your hands and check it out. There are a lot of older doubles that are really tired and have been tickered with so if you find one send it to a good gunsmith that is familiar with double rifles--you will save a lot off money and stress. Just because a double is priced high doesn't mean it's a good servicable gun, I have had Holland & Holland's that were off face and in need of major work !!!!

Buy a newer gun is my best recommedation. I saw a Krieghoff 500/416 just sell on Gubroker for $8,500, that was just last week. There are some good deals out there right now !!

Good luck
Dino

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Had an interesting conversation with George Caswell about DRs this week. Scratched some choices off my list after that. Made an offer on a new Krieghoff 500NE today and should have it by next week. A little thicker and softer recoil pad, a year or 2 to learn how to shoot it well and then hopefully back for another shot at an elephant. smile

Thanks to all for the advice. Made the decision a lot easier.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Best wishes. Have fun.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JPK
I have a lot of experience elephant hunting, at least compared to most sport hunters who do it only for the fun and aren't Ph's. Your comment on the second page of this thread about loosing perspective with an optical sight is so true. No matter how low the magnification - even 1x - a scope, even shot with both eyes open, obscures a whole lot in front and to the left for a righty. There is a huge blind spot more than large enough to hide an elephant coming through the bush. (And that is a real possibility with the chaos that can occur at close range when the wind shifts or occurs after you drop an ele from a herd.)

But those with aging eyes no longer up to open sights aren't too handicapped if they instal a Doctor style red dot from what I have heard from a couple of guys. In maybe five years I am going to have to instal an apperature or maybe the Doctor. I will try the very large apperature option first though.

As for double rifles and elephants, the big bore double rifle is the perfect elephant hunting rifle, imo. A bolt will do the job. For buff, a scoped bolt is more versatile, but a double is a hell of a lot more fun.

On ejectors vs. extractors, the PING!!! of brass ringing when it is thrown by ejectors will have any remaining eles keyed into your general direction. The nuzzle blast doesn't pin point you, since it reverberates and causes confusion, but that PING will definitely do it. For the most part, remaining bulls will be bugging out, but cows can get ornery as hell.

Though I've been pinpointed by a herd matriarch because of ejectors a couple of times and had to do some running to avoid either shooting more elephants out of self defense or getting squashed, I would still rather have ejectors than extractors. They're faster for the reload, and I would rather have a loaded rifle and pissed off elephants who have an idea of where we are than an unloaded rifle and pissed off elephants who might catch a wiff or?

Skip the 450/400. A great option for buff, but not for elephants, imo. For more than a century, ~480grs and ~2100fps have proven to be the bottom end (and most useful all around) of reliable stopping rifles. (Others define stopping rifes as those with no less than 400 grains and ~5,000 ft/lbs of energy. The 416 Remington and Rigby would fit, but the 450/400 is woefully short of this mark at less than 4,000 ft/lbs from real rifles.) A stopping rifle is what an elephant hunter needs, imo. First elephant hunt or 20th elephant hunt or 100th elephant hunt, sooner or later you will be charged for real. Maybe your Ph will be in position to handle it, maybe not... Maybe your shot will be perfect, maybe not, maybe you will have a clear shot, maybe not... An elephant isn't impossible to stop with a less than perfect brain shot, but you ought to be using the cartridges proven up to it over the last century and more.

BTW, I've stopped a bull at seven yards and a cow at seven yards. Neither stopping shot was a prefect brain shot, but they worked! Don't forget, self defense begins within ten yards.

Best of luck with your selection.

JPK

I'll have to tell my friend who shot a .375 H&H as a game management agent for 17 years on scores of DG including elephant and Buf and hippo that the .375 H&H is no longer adequate for elephant. They must have grown tougher and bigger since the '80's. wink

Warm trails and blue skies!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fun to see this pop back up. Doubles are always good to discuss. Let me quote Ganyana here on the .450/400:

Even Karamojo Bell started his elephant hunting career with a Jeffery-built double in 450/400. John Pondoro Taylor is ecstatic in his praise of the 450/400 and rates it as �one of the grandest weapons imaginable for all big game hunting�. He also noted �I derived greater pleasure from using the .400 than any other calibre; and no weapon behaved more successfully in my hands. I would happily finish the remainder of my career with a pair of them and nothing else-unless it was a third!� High praise indeed for a man who is usually considered to be the greatest proponent of the .375 as the �all round rifle�. Taylor did indeed wax lyrical on the virtues of the .375, but he qualified his statements though, by saying if a man was going to hunt regularly in thick bush, the .400 was more liable to keep his hide intact. Many other professionals agreed with him.

Couldn't agree more with Taylor.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree with what Hatari posted and BTW Craig Boddington felt the same way. So why did I buy a 450NE instead? Because I also loved that cartridge and besides I like a bigger pair smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A bigger pair is good--

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As far as I can tell, you have a pretty big pair as it is.

Randy formerly posting as medicman
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (16gage, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,302
Posts18,525,996
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.