Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Wildcatter,

Excellent choice. I have been using a Krieghoff in the field for two years now and nothing beats the speed of the cocking action which can be a life saver for a PH.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Why is it that just about the time one can afford a good double rifle his eyes start going south. Then he is left with the unappealing option of mounting a scope on an otherwise fine piece of art or shoot half blind.
This remains an enigma for me. Everyone should have the priviledge of owning and shooting a fine double barrel rifle. I can't think of a more pleasureful way to hunt africa in the bush.

Warm trails and blue skies!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I can relate Blueman. I am 58, and this whole aging process is really screwing up my handgun shooting as well. With regard to my double rifle, I decided to go Teutonic. I have a little Franz Sodia sxs in .375 H&H. It is very nearly MOA accurate with 270gr TSX's. I had JJ Perodeau of Champlin put claw mounts on it with one of the little VX III Leupold variables. For buff it is perfect for a well aimed first shot through the scope (and a very quick second shot), and I can dismount it in an instant for following one up. I can also very easily take a 200m shot at a kudu on the next ridge with the same rifle. I don't know that I could have done it to an English double, but claws don't seem entirely out of place on an Austrian Rifle. Weidman's Heil!

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sodia makes some awesome good stuff. Back in the 70s I had a friend who had a 338 built just that way complete with claw mounts (must be the ONLY 338 double in existence, talk about silly calibers for a double!). It was a beautiful rifle.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You are correct and my H&H is very nearly ridiculous with those tiny spring-loaded tabs to catch the rims. That said, it has never failed to eject, is a joy to carry, is in lovely sidelock configuration (rose and scroll rather than herds of red & roe deer), and as I note above, is amazingly accurate. It is not a configuration for a PH, but for the old guy paying the daily rate, it is a very cool rifle.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talking about open sights and aging eyes. I am 70, but at least 15 years ago it started becomming difficult to see open sights.

For old eyes, the flat top rear with the U notch and a bead front is by far the worst choice available. As eyes get older, the square notch on competition handguns is a little improvment, but not much.

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to shoot a .460 Wby. Mark 5. It had the wide V rear, typical of DG rifles, and IIRC, a front bead.

I could see the sights distincly, better than with any iron sighting equipment I have ever used. Except aperture, of course.

From my experience, for an open sighted rifle, the wide V and front bead would be the best, for me, anyway.

I have had very little experence at this, but could some of you more experienced shooters of DG rifles comment on the best type of rear and front sight for aging eyes? I think it is the wide V and front bead.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
cool? that's an uderstatement, that is one uber kool caliber!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use a larger white or polished gold bead on the front sight, shoot with both eyes open, and ignore the rear sight. IF your double fits you properly, and you practice mounting the gun the same way every time, you will find that you can put shot after shot in a grapefruit sized area at 50 yards. I see no reason that a bolt gun would be any different.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,504
Posts18,490,610
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.