Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How many states still alow this? I am strongly opposed to this form of deer hunting. And there are many in Mississippi who strongly support it. It is just too disturbig to adjoining land owners who prefer peace an quite while hunting, but who have to deel with trespassing dogs, IMHO.

So here is another question. Do any of you have any history as to how it was brought to an end in your state? It has long history in Mississippi. I personally hope that the end is near.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought it was fun as hell. I never killed anything, but had a great time.

It may be "bad" to you, but banning it is just another win for the antis.

I have no idea how many states still allow it. I tried in while stationed in NC. Believe it or not, I believe Cali still allows 1 dog per hunter in some areas.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

How is it a win for the antis. Dog hunters in MS are the most visible form of hunting for the public. Most non hunters do not like what they see. Banning Dog hunting in MS would probably improve hunter/non hunter relations and make our hunting opportunities more secure.. In order for that argument to be fully logical you would have to see how it is done down here. Imagine a 4x4 chevy painted camo with 3 rednecks holding loaded rifles trying desperately not to spill their open beer racing up and down the public roads trying to head off the dogs as the dogs cross private land they do not have permission to hunt.

Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I thought it was fun as hell. I never killed anything, but had a great time.

It may be "bad" to you, but banning it is just another win for the antis.

I have no idea how many states still allow it. I tried in while stationed in NC. Believe it or not, I believe Cali still allows 1 dog per hunter in some areas.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I hate it too. I live in Mississippi and don't think we can get rid of it until we get a still hunters lobby as good as the bow hunters.

The dog hunters stick together - coon dogs, rabbit dogs, etc. so have an effective voice at the state house.

Deer hunting with dogs is disruptive and as you know it plays hell with a nice hunt to have a pack of dogs go blowing through your hunting area...

Area I've hunted for over 20 years, supposedly 'Still Hunting Only' has been so over hunted & shot out by dog hunters that I did not even buy a license this year frown

I don't think it will end here until the generation that maintains the dogs dies off...won't help most of us though.

Last edited by gldprimr; 11/30/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of course a big no, no up North. I did some with the boys when I lived in Meridian, MS a while back. The guy posted next to me sent some buckshot into the bushes behind me when a deer ran by. The deer was unscathed & I made sure to keep a big tree between me & the next guy after that. Not exactly my way of doing things but an ingrained way of hunting down south. I'd try to be in a position to benefit from the ruckus caused by the dog hunters, if able.

It's like rabbit hunting with beagle on a larger scale.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Arkansas has zones that still allow dog hunting but a lot of the state has been no dogs for years. I used to be in the dog camp back in the 1970's but learned that hunting without dogs was more fun and more productive at least for me. It all came about from the leased land being more common. Before that the timber company's were open to the public but when people started leasing the land they wanted control and petitioned the G&F for the dog hunting to stop. There was enough voices that the commission listened. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Still do it in certain sections of Virginia. Fortunately I live in a section of the state where it is illegal to run dogs for deer hunting. The dog hunting lobby in VA is very strong and has quite a bit of influence.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11/30/10.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
About half of the state here in NC still allows deer hunting with dogs. Mostly it is the eastern half where there are still large tracts of timber company land. The county I live in is divided with the northern half allowing it, but not the southern half. The county Commissioners have voted to do away with it all together for next year.
When I lived in the eastern part of the state I went a few times and enjoyed it. I much prefer stand or still hunting. I believe as land is split up into small tracts and non hunters buy the land we will be seeing less and less dog hunting.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I've been hunting dogs with deer for many years.

It's much more funner.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I did it growing up in East Texas, and had a lot of fun, but it was outlawed there many years ago - something I would not have thought would have been possible. I can see both sides of the argument - dog hunting is better with large tracts of land where individual small landowners are not affected.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many years ago the first deer hunting experience I had was hunting with dogs. It seemed like most thought it was the way to go. Let me say that the hunting trip was always fun but, to clarify, the actual hunting with dogs was not. While I admit that hearing those dogs headed your way got your blood pumping it was a very hollow thrill when you spent 45 minutes hunting and 5 hours gathering up those "never give up" hounds.
Alabama still allows it, but only in certain areas and by special permit only. I still hunt with those same guys but the dogs went away 30 years ago. We never even missed them.

I'm shoot4fun on Accurate Shooter Forum and you can see my feedback there.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I've been hunting dogs with deer for many years.

It's much more funner.

Yea I bet that is funner

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Cheap & easy too, just toss deer carcass out in a field and wait for the "dogs" to come.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They still do it here in Louisiana in most areas. I wish it was outlawed as dog season always opens when the rut is on. Most clubs around here run dogs, but the dog hunting crowds are getting smaller every year. It was fun when I was a kid and we could hunt for 10 miles in every direction. There also wasn't many deer here back then, so it made the last half of the season get exciting. Now that everything is posted, we have more deer and better hunting.

I killed one of my best LA bucks on a warm evening during the late MLer season when a house dog ran him by my stand. I was pretty irate when I heard him coming, but it worked out for the best. Should have given that dog a T-bone for his good deed smile

loder

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EddyBo

How is it a win for the antis. Dog hunters in MS are the most visible form of hunting for the public. Most non hunters do not like what they see. Banning Dog hunting in MS would probably improve hunter/non hunter relations and make our hunting opportunities more secure.

I'll concede to the PR part, the redneck rampage does look bad to non-hunters eyes. At the same time, I hate having to "kiss azz" to the non-hunters by being nonchalant while hunting. Lots of people around here like to complain about all the gunshots during hunting season. Maybe we should all just bowhunt to keep people from hearing gunshots.

I really hate seeing yet more and more legal methods being outlawed. Its just stepping stones to end all hunting, just like banning lead bullets, banning lion hounds, banning bear bait. I really thing you guys are helping this chain of events.

I understand the frustration of dogs running deer around while people are still hunting, and that dogs will cross to private land. I've seen it. It sucks, but what about the rights of the dog handlers? Maybe they feel you shouldn't be allowed to still hunt because for whatever reason it may interrupt their dogs? I've been bowhunting deer before and had bird hunters blasting away, their bird dogs running all over, blowing out any deer along their path and spoiling my hunt. That's just public land for ya. I am not about to go crying to the game commission, and try to outlaw duck hunters from hunting the same land I deer hunt. I know I have accidentally ruined other people's deer hunt while grouse hunting with my bird dogs. I do wish all hunters would respect each other's preferred methods though, as I have seen dog handlers act as if they owned the public land they were running on. The sport of hunting will implode the way we are going.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dog hunter I couldn't agree with you more. I've "ruined" others hunts as well as had my own hunts "ruined" by others. Its all a part of hunting. If I had my way I'd be the only one allowed to hunt during the weekdays and everyone else should only be allowed to hunt the weekends, unless its my weekend to be off from work and then the opposite should apply.

Hunting deer with dogs is a real blast. Nothing like hearing the hounds howl! Amen.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I would like to hunt deer legally with dogs. When I hunted the southern part of the state they hunted deer with dogs but it was not legal. It sounded like a good time though.

Dink

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Not legal here, don't believe it ever has been. If it was, the Seattle libtards would have outlawed it at the same time they outlawed using dogs and bait for cougar/bear. Of course, those same libtards raise hell when a bear or cougar is seen in residential areas...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SolomonBrainiac
Hunting deer with dogs is a real blast. Nothing like hearing the hounds howl! Amen.
yup.

Aim for the exit hole.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (264mag, 44mc, 338rcm, 2500HD, 35, 18 invisible), 1,557 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,960
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.