-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
8 or so all up loaded and ready to rock is by my way of thinking about model perfecto for a 375.

Anyone else use the 260 Noz Pt a bit besides me?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Even though I bought a bunch of 260 Accubonds,my to go bullet is going to be the 260 Partition which I have somewhere around 60 right now.I have a load I'm after from Jim Clopton(don't quote me without looking back)of 73 grains of RL-15 for 2800 fps and they all group within an inch at 100.We'll see how it works up in my rifle.

He calls it his 300 yard Moose bullet.

Jayco

B
B
I have a lefthand model 70. One thing I really like about this rifle is the barrel length. The original owner had it shortened by two inches and it just seems right at 22". The trigger is also very good. It carries in the hand well, but it is on the heavy side. I like the idea of a .375 that comes in at 8lbs. Maybe this will be my first custom rifle-a lefthand sub 9lbs. .375 cool

"Well that oughta do it"-Butch Cassidy
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I agree.....they can be lighter. Personally I'd take and duplicate the contour on a Ruger hawkeye African. I think it's about perfect.

What's the OD @ the muzzle on them?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BCBrian
At the risk of sounding like a Sako salesman - my Synthetic Stainless Sako 85 - in 375 H&H Magnum is BY FAR the best factory rifle I've ever owned, handled, borrowed, or shot - in over 40 years of collecting guns.

Where do I start? Mine is really really light for a 375 (at only 7lbs), but it attenuates recoil - to an amazing degree. I'd rather shoot mine over my 7mm STW, my 300 Magnums, and even my old Remington 760 in 30-06. They all hurt. This rifle doesn't. I put that to great stock design and the patented recoil pad system. Not a lot of guys want to shoot a 7 pound 375 H&H. I shoot the heads off of grouse with mine. I just want any excuse to shoot it!

I also like the grippy sticky rubber inserts in the stock. They are very easy to grip - and they are warm when the temperature drops way down low.

It's trigger is flawless, light, smooth and crisp.

It's accuracy is stunning - out of the box (with the cheapest factory ammo I could buy) mine fulfilled it's amazing accuracy guarantee of five shots in an inch @ 100 metres. How many other companies guarantee that?

I feeds slicker than goose poop on ice. It never misfeeds - upside down, right-side up, left-side up, barrel-up, barrel down - you name it. It feeds as fine as a rifle can, while feeling so smooth it makes you wonder if it chambered a round.

It has a fantastic clip design. Mine holds 4 375 H&H rounds in the non-protruding clip. Plus, the clip design is flawless. It can't fall out, and it takes only a practiced second for one hand to instinctively operate it.

My only regret is that I didn't own 10 more - in all the other cartridges I'd like to own it in. That, and the fact it's not cheap at around $1700. But after trying one, I'd think most would be convinced they now own a rifle worth owning for life, and one worth every penny.

We should have a rifle or two that we love soo much

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
So, thinking of selling it eh?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
and 4+1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I had a Rem 700 with a cut 22" barrel started out with the Rem. syn. stock at 7lbs it kicked a bit much so I glued a 11 oz. mercury reducer in the butt and foamed it full.It shot and handled great. Sadly sold it to a outfitter.
Now have a Blaser R93 with a cut down 22" barrel around 8lbs and realy like it. She puts 5 260gr Accubonds in 1.3" at 200 yds
Can't wait to get some fur in the scope with this one.

Last edited by ssphoger; 12/03/10.

Rockhounding and varmint huntin
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Very sad story, I rolled my 4X4. I was driving my dad was on the back. We came to a small, steep, and very rocky hill. Made it about half way up, and then I let off the gas and then hit it agin. The front came over and we jumped off, but my muzzel got caught in the front rack ( our guns were slung over our backs ) and the butt was drove in to the rocks. The stock busted in half right behind the triger group. The gun still works as it did befor, it's at gun smith right now getting the barrel checked just to be sure. So it was my fault.

Last edited by AK_ARCHER; 12/03/10.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I agree.....they can be lighter. Personally I'd take and duplicate the contour on a Ruger hawkeye African. I think it's about perfect.

SC: I dunno, but they are for sure more slender than a M70,and are about like my Krieger,which is just a skosh heavier than a #4 IIRC.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've got the CZ-550 in 375 H&H. I redid the stock and had Wayne at AHR do some modifications and upgrades. The two things I don't like about it are that it is quite a bit heavy and the barrel is rather long. It weighs less than the Ruger RSM (which feel like a brick), but more than the M70. I think one of the biggest issues with the weight is Ruger, CZ, and Winchester use the same barrel contour on the 375 as they do the 416 and 458, thus, the 375 has more metal/weight in the barrel than a 458. The barrel length is easily shortened (and I wish I had Wayne do it while it was there). If you're any good at wood working, you can easily shave the stock down to something more svelte, the CZ stock has lots of wood on it.

I like a bolt gun as it's nice to have those extra rounds in the magazine. If you can find a Whitworth Express, that would be my number one choice. Any Zastava action (Z98, 798, Mark-X, Charles Daly, etc.) would work too. Would I get a CZ again ... yes, but I think the weight is better left for the 416 and bigger calibers.

Regardless of what you choose, I feel that you'll probably need to tweak and customize it a little. It may be simple like glass bedding and a new rear sight, but I feel like no factory DG rifle is perfect right from the get-go.

Here's my 375. I have the stock reinforced with crossbolts, glassbed, and a wrist pin. The CZ's did have issues with cracking stocks, but so have all the other major manufacturers. Here's an article I wrote on how you can reinforce your rifle's stock to help prevent it from cracking.
[Linked Image]

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hers my take on it. For the average hunter/shooter a factory rifle is all you need. Nowadays most rifles are decent to good in quality.

Then you get the gun loons where factory isnt quite good enough, and it gets turned into a smith to be modified. depending on needs, wants, etc..your gonna dump some cash into it.

Why not just build one from scratch to your specs right from the get go? With todays economy and some looking around, you can find the parts for a decent price.

I just had a 375H&H built on a vz-24 action. I spent most of my budget on the metalwork and picked up a decent synthetic stock. For my needs, I went after the utilitarian route. shes not gonna win any awards for beauty but it fits my needs and I have well under 2K into it, and she works.

Just a thought.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub

SC: I dunno, but they are for sure more slender than a M70,and are about like my Krieger,which is just a skosh heavier than a #4 IIRC.

I scored a new McMillan Supergrade for my stainless M70 yesterday for under $300. Proper contour w/pillars and a Limbsaver. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SC: Sounds like you are GTG!That should be nice!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My best advice is to look at and "mount" the great guns you have read about in the previous posts... All good guns. CZ, mod 70, Kimber, Ruger, Sako, etc.
All will have good actions, barrels and a history of great reliability.
When I did this, the classic super express model 70 "fit" me better than all else I tried... I also liked the manufacturing and attention to detail I saw in the CZ, but it just didn't "feel right" and didn't give me the immediate sight picture when I put the gun up.
I also got lucky, when my 4-shot-groups have been averaging under one inch with 270 grain hornady spire points and 71 grains of RL 15... it's the gun, not me.
Good luck in your quest...fun times.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Forgot to add one detail... read some earlier posts which pointed at "stock problems" with the CZ... The new CZ 375 has two cross bolts in the stock, and I doubt if any splitting would now occur... I think CZ has improved the old design. (just saw this last week)

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned a couple Remington M700 BDL/SS in 375. They are one hard-kicking sumbich. An R3 pad helped the shoulder pain, but the scope hit my face. The knurled floorplate latch inside the trigger guard took skin off my knuckle, so I ground it down to minimum size. I sold them both. Glad I don't need that much rifle. Not fun. The Ruger #1s aren't too bad. Still kick like a beast though.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll go with the Wincheater model 70 all the way to the bank!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tonk
I'll go with the Wincheater model 70 all the way to the bank!

wink

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I've got an old FN Browning Safari in 375, and it has been an extremely accurate and durable gun. Took my cape, kudu, elk and countless hogs with it. One of those guns that would never be sold.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 51 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,437
Posts18,489,382
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.