Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by TexasTBag
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by ltppowell
My take on it, being (mis)quoted by the presss many, many times, is that he is probably sitting somewhere saying " I can't believe they took everything I told them and condensed it to something as stupid as that".

I think that's a very real possibility.

Its pretty close to what he said when I saw him on the news this morning. My take is the guy is a [bleep] idiot.

In that case I have to agree. crazy

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well we did have a city Chief locally who couldn't understand the difference between semi-, and auto.

The look on his face and 30 rds. when the range officer instructed him how to use the switch was priceless, smile.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
In Western 3-Gun we used to do a charity event called Cops vs. Cowboys.

We used single action pistols, Lever guns and double bbl's or 97's.

Cops used auto everything and we'd kill 'em. Didn't take long to learn that having to shoot quickly was a big problem for most.

And this was in Texas, where you would think they can shoot a little bit. We did it in New Mexico and Louisiana as well, same result.

Driving past a range near Missoula, one of my Montana friends noticed that a lot of guys were shooting handguns. He went in to see what was going-on.

A number of police departments were competing. They cordially welcomed him to join-in.

He won the match.

By a wide margin.

He isn't an extraordinary handgunner.

The lack of handgun skill among that large assemblage of LEOs was monumental.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Few police officers are Dirty Harry when it comes to shooting.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son knows cops that don't shoot often enough to pass their annual qualification

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
My take is that out in LA they're prolly more likely to be hassling some innocent white guy than they are going after a criminal. Beating somebody with nightsticks then tasing them don't take very much gun skill.

How do you know this? Have you spent anytime in LA? Seems like just pure bullchit from someone that lives in mid-west.

Dink

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
and you live where DINK?

Sam......

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Most cops are not gun guys and are told by others that it is just a tool It looks better to be on the stand in a shooting where a stray or ricocheted round hit someone and show you qualified @ 71% when 70 was passing than @ 97%. If you qualify high you could concievably be more liable for al that happened to each round.
There is a reason LEO's went awat from dump pouches to speed loaders in the 70's and it was because the cartridges had too much green scum to chamber, if they would come out at all. For many cops shooting is a quarterly have to rather than recreation.

Last edited by MT Gianni; 12/02/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MT Gianni
Most cops are not gun guys and are told by others that it is just a tool It looks better to be on the stand in a shooting where a stray or ricocheted round hit someone and show you qualified @ 71% when 70 was passing than @ 97%. If you qualify high you could concievably be more liable for al that happened to each round.
There is a reason LEO's went awat from dump pouches to speed loaders in the 70's and it was because the cartridges had too much green scum to chamber, if they would come out at all. For many cops shooting is a quarterly have to rather than recreation.

From my experiences that's true.

Probably more CCW holders spend more time on the range than the average LEO.

In fact, probably most LEO are killed in the line of duty because they lack firearms proficiency especially under stressful conditions. Drawing a firearm from a holster under stress is much harder than one would think.

In reading LEO stories of the Wild West most LEO were killed because they lack proficiency with firearms in comparsion to the bad guys.

Firearms training seems in short supply when it comes to LEOs in many departments.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Perhaps the detective only fired his weapon quarterly and not in between.

Perhaps he was only referring to shooting for qualification.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
and you live where DINK?

I would also live in the mid-west (that is where missouri is). I would have no idea about the LA police only harrassing innocent white folks. During training I got to talk with a few LA cops and a neighboring department hired one. I got a feeling from talking to them that they had alot better chit to do than just mess with innocent white people.

Dink

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
ahhhh, Code Blue shines through once again.

Sam......

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Hows that? Because I talked with some guys?.....laffin.

Dink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
99% of cops have no time for harassing anybody. They have to document everything they do, patrol the streets, answer calls, write reports, work accidents, work crime scenes, do followups, Ad nauseum.

Get a life guys, police work is a job that is tedious, boring, sad, happy and scary as hell sometimes. Screwing with anybody just for the hell of it is so far off the radar 99% will never know it was even there.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang...I wonder if I've got any bullets somewhere? smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
a woman was shot and killed in LA.
link to story
A former detective remarks on the shooter's skill level
Former LA detective Gill Carillo told ABC News: 'Normally they turn the gun sideways and this is something that was done with some skill.

'I carried a gun for 38 years and had to fire it quarterly. I don't think I could shoot and hit that mass like that.'

fired his gun quarterly? Wow.

The guy may not know dick about shooting proficiency, but the 38 year retired Veteren of LAPD Homocide probably knows a little about police work. He and his partner caught the "Nightstalker" and he was spot on about this being a pro-hit.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DINK

Dink

because you disregard anything but what your fellow cops say, refusing to even entertain that someone else in the world might know some one, or have talked to some one, with a different take.

Sticking together, regardless......

Sam......

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ltppowell
The guy may not know dick about shooting proficiency, but the 38 year retired Veteren of LAPD Homocide probably knows a little about police work. He and his partner caught the "Nightstalker" and he was spot on about this being a pro-hit.

Interesting nugget, that! I had no idea he was the Nightstalker detective.

In my limited experience, the worst shots on any department are likely to be on the detective squad or administration.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably have about a snowballs chance in hell of solving this one, sideways or not.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by DINK

Dink

because you disregard anything but what your fellow cops say, refusing to even entertain that someone else in the world might know some one, or have talked to some one, with a different take.

Sticking together, regardless......

You mean sticking together like you and cole younger?......hmmm All I ask was how he knew what he posted because I think he is full of chit.

Dink

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 29 invisible), 2,201 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,889
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.