Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Rem700 DG, mcmillan, zeiss = big bugeyes!~

[Linked Image]

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How about a Whitworth? grin

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
And nary a Bubba Buddy in sight..... grin

you just wait.....laugh

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cretin! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
that whitworth is the tits. quintessential 375 packaging IMO.

more pics for us to drool over?

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How's dis? grin

[Linked Image]

or dis? smile

[Linked Image]

Thanks for lookin!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dang Ingwe, how old is that pic? Ya still got hair, and it's dark! whistle grin

maddog

S
OP Offline
S
You guys have mentioned the Whitworth a couple of times now--I know nothing of this rifle or maker--How does it stack up?

I do love those #1's. If I happen to find one in 375 H&H, it might just come home with me--but I am trying to tell myself I need a bolt gun for this application.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
10 years..... frown

Bastid.....

grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've shot 375s in Rem 700, Mausers, and A-bolts. The caliber is my favorite. Pick out a rifle that is comfortable on your cheek and aligns easily when using the irons, then add a quck-detachable base/rings system and a low power variable scope 1-4X or so. It will work for everything on this planet bigger than squirrels.

Last edited by SteveG; 12/02/10.

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Interarms Whitworth's are nice rifles indeed.

Back in '05 I went to Namibia with three other gentleman. One of which carried a Whitworth .375 H&H. I hoisted it to my shoulder a time or two, and have to say that I really liked the feel, balance and weight. Very trim and pointed fast.

I carried a CZ550 Safari Magnum, and the weight, balance and feel was atrocious. Felt "clubbish" and ungainly.

Only aspect I'd change on the Interarms is the safety. I wonder if there's available aftermarket to swap out the standard safety for a M70 type 3-posi safety? Ingwe??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can swap out the safety on commercial mausers. Its the first thing I do on mine.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by FOsteology
The Interarms Whitworth's are nice rifles indeed.
I wonder if there's available aftermarket to swap out the standard safety for a M70 type 3-posi safety? Ingwe??
I'm sure there is Fost, its a pretty pedestrian commercial mauser..but it was never an isure for me so I just danced with the one that brung me... grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
At the risk of sounding like a Sako salesman - my Synthetic Stainless Sako 85 - in 375 H&H Magnum is BY FAR the best factory rifle I've ever owned, handled, borrowed, or shot - in over 40 years of collecting guns.

Where do I start? Mine is really really light for a 375 (at only 7lbs), but it attenuates recoil - to an amazing degree. I'd rather shoot mine over my 7mm STW, my 300 Magnums, and even my old Remington 760 in 30-06. They all hurt. This rifle doesn't. I put that to great stock design and the patented recoil pad system. Not a lot of guys want to shoot a 7 pound 375 H&H. I shoot the heads off of grouse with mine. I just want any excuse to shoot it!

I also like the grippy sticky rubber inserts in the stock. They are very easy to grip - and they are warm when the temperature drops way down low.

It's trigger is flawless, light, smooth and crisp.

It's accuracy is stunning - out of the box (with the cheapest factory ammo I could buy) mine fulfilled it's amazing accuracy guarantee of five shots in an inch @ 100 metres. How many other companies guarantee that?

I feeds slicker than goose poop on ice. It never misfeeds - upside down, right-side up, left-side up, barrel-up, barrel down - you name it. It feeds as fine as a rifle can, while feeling so smooth it makes you wonder if it chambered a round.

It has a fantastic clip design. Mine holds 4 375 H&H rounds in the non-protruding clip. Plus, the clip design is flawless. It can't fall out, and it takes only a practiced second for one hand to instinctively operate it.

My only regret is that I didn't own 10 more - in all the other cartridges I'd like to own it in. That, and the fact it's not cheap at around $1700. But after trying one, I'd think most would be convinced they now own a rifle worth owning for life, and one worth every penny.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I really like my Kimber Talkeetna .375 h&h. Kevlar/Fiberglass stock, NECG sights, holds 4+1 rounds, CRF action, 24" barrel, barrel band, 3 position safty, runs right at 8 lbs w/no scope. I liked it enought to buy it when I was 16, took me a hard 10-11 months of working my butt off, and spending very little money. The only thing I would buy was gun magazines. At $2,000 it was a lot money for a 16 year old kid, but I am very happy with the gun, the bummer is that it's down with a busted stock.

That was my 2 cents

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Must be an interesting story behind that busted stock. Was it due to the bedding or external forces? smile

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The Whitworth may be the "best buy"out there in a wood stocked 375. I have never owned one but have shot several owned by friends and they are solid,accurate and dependable rifles.They cleares British proofing before they were sold,and are worth far more than what you pay for them.

My old favorite 375 is a pre 64 M70 H&H action with a a Krieger 410 stainless barrel in a Brown Precision stock. It dates back to the 80's and is a bug hole shooter.A weight of 8 pounds, scoped,makes it suitable to carry about anywhere.Any time I have taken it somewhere,the guides all try to buy it.Friends,too..... grin

Hard to beat a M70 Classic in SS for goof proof reliablity,accuracy and usefulness IMHO.They could do with a slightly lighter barrel in my opinion but they are comfy to shoot and accurate as well.It is also hard to beat a pre 64 M70 in 375H&H and if you have one,you have a real jewel.

A buddy emailed me with pics of an elk he killed this week with the lefty 375 I helped him spec and build.It's on a M70 Classic LH action,a #4 Lilja,and Brown Precision stock,and came in at under 8 pounds scoped.He said he had offers to sell the rifle there,too......there is something about a light,handy 375 that makes guys all gooey wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/03/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep in mind when buying a 375Mag that many out there are quite heavy. A 375 is right between 8.5-9lbs scoped. Recoil isn't bad, so the extra weight on heavier guns is a drag. Long barrels are not needed either. A 22" tube handles so much better and the lose in velocity is near nill. My 22" 375CT gets 2700fps easy with 270s.

Many recommend a CRF, but in reality any 700 long action with proper loads will make a reliable rifle in any chambering. Never could figure out why my 270 in a 700 action was ok, but my 375Magnum in the same action was going to fail me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Hard to beat a M70 Classic in SS for goof proof reliablity,accuracy and usefulness IMHO.They could do with a slightly lighter barrel in my opinion but they are comfy to shoot and accurate as well.It is also hard to beat a pre 64 M70 in 375H&H and if you have one,you have a real jewel.

I have one of those as well. Nice rifle, but they are front heavy. I think a shorter bbl with a bit of contouring would help.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree.....they can be lighter. Personally I'd take and duplicate the contour on a Ruger hawkeye African. I think it's about perfect.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (Anaconda, Amos63, arky65, 44automag, 9 invisible), 1,465 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,100
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.