-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Is there some connection between Popular Mechanics and Home Depot/Ridgid Tools or are Ridgid tools actually pretty high quality? It seems like every time PM does a side by side tool test, Ridgid comes out very close to the top. The latest is a comparison of orbital sanders where they rate Ridgid at the top.

I only have 1 Ridgid tool *** , a chop saw, but it's a good one. It's only fault is a very hard to adjust fence.

***I am in possession of one other extremely high quality ridgid power tool but it's functionality is beyond the scope of this discussion

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
really like their sliding compound miter saw

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm a big fan of Rigid tools because of the quality. I replaced my DeWalt cordless drill/driver with a Rigid after using a friends Rigid drill/driver while installing a metal roof (Rigid is all he will use on the job of building steel buildings).
I also have the Rigid chop saw and just replaced my old Jet drill press with a Rigid unit. I have a bunch of their older wrenches.

I don't know if PM gets paid for the reviews, I just know that I have found them to be great tools.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've got a Ridgid contractor grade table saw and a Ridgid drill press. Have had both for over 12 years and used the heck out of them with no problems at all. Same with my Ridgid shop vac. In all, I'm happy with the quality of the tools that I have, but can't speak as to how or where they may have changed since I bought them.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I used Rigid pipe tools at work that were older than anyone on the staff. They were always the tools of choice.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Like Wrangler John said. Back in the day when I was in the construction trades everybody bought certain tools because shot of losing them, you couldn't wear them out of most times even break them. I well remember Rigid, Estwing, Porter Cable and many others.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Does Ridgid still put out the great calendars? It used to be that you couldn't walk into any shop without seeing one

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
Like Wrangler John said. Back in the day when I was in the construction trades everybody bought certain tools because shot of losing them, you couldn't wear them out of most times even break them. I well remember Rigid, Estwing, Porter Cable and many others.
Most of Porter-Cable and Estwing's stuff is still made here too. I just used my P-C sawzall yesterday along with one of my Estwing hammers.

This is rich...I've got three cordless drills. I think all are hecho'ed en China. I'm doing a fair-sized project and between the batteries (four-utilizing two of the cordless drills) and not having enough power to drill or in the case of my cordless circular saw, saw, I didn't get done. My made in USA Milwaukee drill did everything I asked of it. It's corded though.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rigid made/makes great pipe tools. Then they whored their name out to all the stuff you see at HD. The quality is what it is and the Rigid name is just stamped on.
Their pipe tools are made to passed down from generation to generation. PO's me when I see Rigid this and that at HD but more power to them.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Another supporter of Rigid Pipe tools.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by FVA
Rigid made/makes great pipe tools. Then they whored their name out to all the stuff you see at HD. The quality is what it is and the Rigid name is just stamped on.
Their pipe tools are made to passed down from generation to generation. PO's me when I see Rigid this and that at HD but more power to them.

That's my take. Some of their older power tools were better than some of the new. Basically, do your research on any given tool, and don't assume their is consistent quality across the board, else you'll be disappointed. In addition to their pipe tools, their steel vise is great quality. I like to use actual consumer/owner reviews as part of my research on a tool or product.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm looking at an 18v drill/recip saw kit they have for $200. They have a lifetime warranty on the 2 batteries.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
to your original question-
Home Depot spends a huge amount of advertising dollars with Popular Mechanics. The fact that Ridgid comes out near the top in many tests would mean that they are giving some bias to them. Certainly you aren't suggesting that the editors and writers of a magazine couldn't be swayed by a major advertiser or contributor? I mean, isn't the Chevy Volt Car of the Year? smile

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That's precisely why I asked for some real life experience with their tools.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Does Ridgid still put out the great calendars? It used to be that you couldn't walk into any shop without seeing one

My thoughts exactly!

Always Very classy and tasteful women.

Always gave me a Rigid Tool!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Raquel Welch used to be a regular on them.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Most of Porter-Cable and Estwing's stuff is still made here too. I just used my P-C sawzall yesterday along with one of my Estwing hammers.

Estwing is a local company- two of my BIL's worked there at one time or another. I have a lot of their hammers and axes. Very good stuff.
The bulk of my power tools are older Milwaukee and Porter Cable, Makita and Bosch. Air tools are original Chicago Pneumatic. My hand tools are nearly all Snap-On, except for tool kits in the trucks, boats, up at the cabin etc- Craftsman and Wright works fine there.
I know folks that like the older Ridgid tools, however like myself, they bought tools when the bulk of this stuff was made here, not over there. Same goes with specialty companies like Greenlee and Klein, who now make a some of their inventory overseas. I won't comment on Ridgid's new stuff. It's not a name that I would put at the pinnacle of the quality list. I would be much more likely to search out and find quality older USA-made tools than buy new, especially new foreign made ones. These days, quality used tools are pennies on the dollar, and that includes Snap-On.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,265
Posts18,486,536
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.