Sounds like a great season Bill!!

Something clever here.

GB1

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good Going Bill. it sounds like your camp is as successfull as any I have heard of in the northern regions. Now that I'm back and talking to people around our state I'm having a hard time believing the dismal numbers being reported. It will be real interesting to compare with "official" stats when they are released.

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I've been saying that for years now drift, intense harvest prescribed by DNR backed by one good old fashioned hard winter and things will get very bad for a long time.

Yep. Down this way too. That is precisely the reason I didn't buy a firearms tag this year. No deer and warm temps to start the season means....well no deer.

DNR put a 5 deer limit on for a few years and that screwed everything up. We aleady had problems with a certain large family that believes in "if its brown its down". Unfortnately, they own some land that borders my uncles that I hunt AND they have been sending one guy up to circle my uncles property and drive the deer into their land long before daylight so they can basically slaughter them right at dawn. How do I know this? Because I tracked them to make sure and confronted one of the kids (21)at a Rod & Gun Club banquet one night where the camp "leader" (kids Dad)admitted to doing this every year. His quote from that night: "well, don't blame my kids! I'm the one that does that every year because I didn't think you guys would mind"

But thats another story. DNR allowing 5 deer per person in MN is ridiculous. confused frown

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It was a great year for us, but not typical from what I'm hearing. What impressed us the most was the number of bucks that were seen this year by our group.

I received a WI DNR update this morning that says the registration numbers are up 11% over last year state wide.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
How do you really feel about it jim?

grin

When you coming up to hunt with us?

Something clever here.

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
[Linked Image]

whistle

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holy Cow!! shocked

Photoshop? Looks like the same pic from last weekend.

Last edited by Muffy; 12/01/10.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yep, skane did it for me.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ol' BlueCephus on the road again! you going to camp this weekend Dave? Good LUck, Maybe see you in the forest!

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah I'll be out there. We have our annual christmas party/bonus party on Friday but I plan on trying to make it to camp yet on Friday night because I seriously want to be hunting Saturday morning.

Something clever here.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
bonus party? I need one of those. grin

Is that green? The truck not the bonus.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I wore my Chickenbuck shirt out for an hour and two people asked me what it was. One guy asked in a real arrogant way so I told him it is kinda like a Swamp Squid. He looked puzzled so I kept moving. grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I hope that arrogant guy wasnt a VP of your new company! sick

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Nope.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
New company is a temp job. Could be permanant but they way they talk it doesn't sound like it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
How do you really feel about it jim?

grin

When you coming up to hunt with us?

Well I just got back from 2011 policy deployment meetings in Sioux Falls. There is a storm moving in with lots of snow tomorrow so if the weather allows, I plan on being there before dawn Saturday morning. Maybe friday night. What time do you think you would be out there if you go?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Are you seriously coming up dude?

This has inflated my interest in hunting this weekend... grin

I would be there late tomorrow night. I have a chrizmuss party for work tomorrow but we aren't staying long.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What are you guys carrying for muzzle loaders? i'm in the market. I used a Remington Model 700 ML. Accurate but HEAVY and the sight broke.

My bro in law had a TC Triumph and I sure liked it a lot. I was shooting water bottles at 50 yds with ease.

I also found a Weatherby Vanguard SS/synthetic for $500 new.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use an Encore Tom and I'm pretty partial to it. Mine has killed 11 deer so far and I wouldn't give it up. I've probably set up a half dozen Encore's thru the years and they were all shooters, but then so were the dozen or so Omega's that I have scoped and shot it. The key to a ML is a good barrel and TC's have good barrels. That's where some of the Spanish products lose it in my mind.

On another note.... Dave or Tom, How far are you from Baudette and/or how far is Baudette from Duluth? Trying to estimate time to the north shore of LOW here...

Scott

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Scott, I'm not certain I understand you LOW question completely but I often run through Baudette towards Duluth via the "north route" which would be Baudette to International falls MN then south through Orr, Cook, Virginia & on down to Duluth. Duluth to Baudette is a solid 4 hours. You need to look for the truck bipass route that goes around I-Falls, it will save you 1/2 an hour I swear! I falls is a very slow town to try and get through. (Unless you want to go through town)

I'm a good hour from Baudette.

Tom, I use an Encore too and I really like it. Mine was pre hype (from before they showed up on every hunting show on TV) So I got into it very reasonable. Prices have damn near doubled since then so if I was in the market for myself I'm not sure if the Encore would be on my list.

I honestly think the CVA wolf is one of the best values out there today.

Something clever here.

Page 545 of 1,842 1 2 543 544 545 546 547 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.