Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 546 of 1,842 1 2 544 545 546 547 548 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
On another note.... Dave or Tom, How far are you from Baudette and/or how far is Baudette from Duluth? Trying to estimate time to the north shore of LOW here...

'bout 3.5-4 hours. I drove home last year from LOW to Duluth. I took Hwy 17 (I think) along the Rainy River from Baudette to Hwy 53 at International Falls, then south to Duluth. Easy, pretty drive.

I do have a bit of a heavy foot, but it the hwy along the Rainy is rough so you don't get to go fast.

It's a nice drive in daylight.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
my truck is packed with clothes and hunting gear, food etc. I'm ready to head to camp tonight. It will be late, probably 10:30 tonight before I can strike a match to light the wood stove, I imagine the inside of the cabin will be at about 12 degrees inside temp at best. It will take about 3 hours to warm the place up completely.

Good thing is I can sleep in till 6:30 tomorrow morning, sunrise is 8AM so Legal shooting hours don't start till 7:30. I can walk from the cabin to what ever stand works best for the wind Sat morning at around 7AM & I'll be fine. It's going to be below zero for temps so it's hard to say how long I can stick it out for morning hunt. Can't sit still for hours on end when it's that cold. I'll likely sit for a couple hours, then move to a new location. Do that till my feet are numb, fingers frozen and arms are shaking so bad I couldn't shoot accurately anyways. grin

Aint hunting fun?

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Tom, I use an Encore too and I really like it. Mine was pre hype (from before they showed up on every hunting show on TV) So I got into it very reasonable. Prices have damn near doubled since then so if I was in the market for myself I'm not sure if the Encore would be on my list.

I honestly think the CVA wolf is one of the best values out there today.

I did look at those a bit yesterday. They were locked in a cage at Fleet Farm though. I really like the Triumph. I was surprsied at the power the black powder had. We were shooting through large popples at 40 yards. 295gr Shock Wave bullet, 100 gr of TC White Lightning powder. Recoil on that rifle was like a 20 bird shot. I was very impressed.

The only Triumph's I can find right now are the "Bone Collector". I don't want no rifle that says Bone Collector. grin

The weight of the Triumph is what got me. Man she was light.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinWhen da heck are you guys gonna cowboy up and start using flintlocks??? grin Hey Dave, I'm leaving Sunday AM for Wyoming and a buffler hunt. Bringin' my Chickenbuck shirt to go along with the Sharps shirt!!! FULL representation!! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by tzone
On another note.... Dave or Tom, How far are you from Baudette and/or how far is Baudette from Duluth? Trying to estimate time to the north shore of LOW here...

'bout 3.5-4 hours. I drove home last year from LOW to Duluth. I took Hwy 17 (I think) along the Rainy River from Baudette to Hwy 53 at International Falls, then south to Duluth. Easy, pretty drive.

I do have a bit of a heavy foot, but it the hwy along the Rainy is rough so you don't get to go fast.

It's a nice drive in daylight.

Yeah that's number 11. (Baudette to I-falls)

It's in a constant state of construction/repair.

It gets icy and it's got some curves that make you wonder about stuff like "I wonder if those trees would stop my truck before I hit that river?"

or, "Hmm, no trees to stop me... I wonder how far the current will take my truck from the hole I'm going to make in that ice... Will my body wash up on the Canadian side in the spring or the American side?"

Something clever here.

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
grinWhen da heck are you guys gonna cowboy up and start using flintlocks??? grin Hey Dave, I'm leaving Sunday AM for Wyoming and a buffler hunt. Bringin' my Chickenbuck shirt to go along with the Sharps shirt!!! FULL representation!! grin

TAKE PICTURES!! grin

And good luck man!! Have fun!

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

Looking at the Cabela's version. I like the carbine a lot. It would be a "second" one tho.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
or, "Hmm, no trees to stop me... I wonder how far the current will take my truck from the hole I'm going to make in that ice... Will my body wash up on the Canadian side in the spring or the American side?"

and...will I need a passport to be sent back to the American side? grin

Good luck this weekend to all who head out. I need to get to work. It should take about 45 seconds. laugh I love saying that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck to all who are hunting this weekend.

I'm going to the Vikings game Sunday. I'm so excited, never been to one before. 6th row seats.

Everyone have a great weekend.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
45 seconds? confused Gee whiz, that is a long commute. Mine today was about 8. wink 8 seconds that is. grin I didnt hurry too much, that is why it took so long!

gonna get some snow today. 4-6 inches they say. I will believe it when I see it. they exaggerate so much. If we had all they said, we would have about 8 feet on the ground and we are lucky if we have 4 inches.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good luck on the ML hunt guys. I have a TC Omega that has served me well.

We're suppossed to get around 3" tonight and Saturday. Glad we're not Buffalo, NY. I see they got over 30" the other day.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
VT black powder starts saterday cant wait got a nice 7 pionter up ther opening week of rifel its a good year up this way

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just got in from hunting roosters in a snowstorm. awesome! Dad and I shot 5 in just a couple hours pounding the cattails. I had to give him some grief as we got 5 roosters in 6 shots and he is the one that took 2 shots on one of his!

Good luck to the ML hunters, I still wanna see Forky Toes a'hangin'. grin

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Muffy
Good luck to all who are hunting this weekend.

I'm going to the Vikings game Sunday. I'm so excited, never been to one before. 6th row seats.

Everyone have a great weekend.

Sweet. I'm going next week. I try to take my dad to one game a year. Usually for Christmas. I missed the last few years tho. I was at one this year in early September against the Seahawks. It's fun, you'll like it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
fesants in the snow would be fun. I'd like to hunt them in anything really. They're yummy little birds.

Do they just use the cattails for cover?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Just got in from hunting roosters in a snowstorm. awesome! Dad and I shot 5 in just a couple hours pounding the cattails. I had to give him some grief as we got 5 roosters in 6 shots and he is the one that took 2 shots on one of his!

Good luck to the ML hunters, I still wanna see Forky Toes a'hangin'. grin

Nice going! I doube there are 5 pheasants left in Iowa but if there are, they are in the ctails for sure. That's tough hunting usually.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
dave, you and nate have good huntin tomorrow, maybe be out for a final deer season visit again saturday night before it's all over, Tom, good luck, missed you during hunting when you were up, was a bit ill, and didn't hunt hard this year. let some nice deer go though. lots of bucks on the camera!

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We missed ya buschy for sure. We even made a special deer for you and Lester. smile Maybe catch you this winter when dave takes me fishing.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Woo loo loo loo loo!

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Musta been a heckova bonus party. grin

Page 546 of 1,842 1 2 544 545 546 547 548 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (222Sako, 1936M71, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.