Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
CThomas Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
For those of us that didn't hunt Canada this year please share your 2010 whitetail hunts with us. I have not been since 2007 and it's killing me, but I'm determined to get back despite the economy! Thanks in advance.

GB1

M
McD Offline
M
taken right after first snow fall in my hunting area..
[Linked Image]

C
CThomas Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Very nice!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Meat in the freezer. Congratulations.

Looks as if it is kinda cold there. smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It is almost December. Pretty normal at my place.

Randy formerly posting as medicman
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just hunted near home in central Saskatchewan this year, since the deer numbers at our bush camp are still low from the big winterkill three years ago. I took a little better than average WT buck about 10 miles from home, a non-typical that I estimate weighed about 230 lb live. Got a mule deer buck on my own land about a mile from the house, similar size body as the WT and a bit bigger antlers. Didn't shoot an antlerless WT yet, may still do so since we have a few days left in the season, however the freezer is pretty full with the two bucks and a bull elk. The moose gave us the slip this year but I'm not complaining, it has been a good year.
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Congrats on a nice buck. Sounds like you've had a good year!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a buck measuring around 150 taken earlier this month during the muzzleloader season in South Western Ontario:

[Linked Image]

Knight .45 Original Disc topped with a Nikon 2x7 Monarch scope, 175 grain Red Hot coppers pushed along by 100 grains of Blackhorn 209.

Last edited by olgrouser; 11/30/10.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I killed a slob on wednsday of this week . I'm in Edmonton right now and fly all day on saturday . I'll try to post a pic on sunday morning when I get home. Congrats to all that conected above those are some awsome trophies. I so much enjoy hunting in Canada. Thanks to all of you guys up here for letting me enjoy this place. I have met some of the nicest people I have ever met while hunting up here . I have hunted 4 provinces now and everyone is just spectacular.
Dean

I Kill Things......deal with it..
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Awesome!

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I didn't connect this year because I was in Ireland during most of the season, but those deer above are real nice. On average, I think our whitetails run a little larger in body size than our corresponding southern neighbours. Some of the Texas bucks have small bodies for the size of their racks. Here, it is likely the other way around.

Anyway, thanks for the pics, guys, and keep them coming.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by the_shootist
On average, I think our whitetails run a little larger in body size than our corresponding southern neighbours. Some of the Texas bucks have small bodies for the size of their racks. Here, it is likely the other way around.

Brother Keith;
It sounds like you had an excellent time in Ireland and while you did perhaps miss out on some hunting, seeing family would no doubt make up for it I'd suspect? wink

We've got what I believe is the "ochorus" subspecies here and locally our whitetail aren't known for huge racks or bodies. While they do occur from time to time, they aren't the norm.

Now if you go 3 hours up the valley to where BCBrian calls home, one will see bigger whitetail killed on average than here. There was a young man who killed a whopper this year near Armstrong - it's in the B&C website, we'll see if I can make a link work here..
http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/imagesWatch/DeDoodAB.jpg

As you perhaps know about us, we usually hunt quite close to home. This year on the mountain behind our house, I was lucky enough to run into my 3rd largest whitetail.
[Linked Image]
He weighed 131lbs carcass weight into the cooler, had thicker than average bases, was very fat and his teeth were about half worn, so he was an adult buck that didn't grow a bunch of antlers somehow. I was going to shoot the first spike I saw that morning, so I was happy.

As a matter of interest, this was my best ever whitetail which I shot in the early '90's. As a by the way, I ran into him less than a kilometer from where mine died this year.
[Linked Image]
He went 138lbs into the cooler, which is pretty heavy for a local whitetail according to the meat cutters I've talked to and from what we've seen over the years.

All the best to you and yours Keith, Merry Christmas to your family as well.

Regards,
Dwayne

PS:
Thanks to all who've posted their photos here, I enjoyed them all and look forward to more.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's the pic of my whitetail this year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7STW;
Well you did get a very good one last year as I recall, so that makes up for it a little, doesn't it?

We had a strange year down here with the herd movement all out of whack somehow. Lots of folks didn't connect because of that.

While the girls and I did get lucky this fall,I'm thinking we'll be getting a Thank You card from Husky for the amount of diesel we bought this fall! laugh

All the best to you this weekend Mike and if it isn't too early, I hope you have a Merry Christmas as well.

Regards,
Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Merry X-Mas from My family to yours Dwayne.Your right being, outdoors is reward enough.I'm kinda lucky Dwayne.Leave right from the house on my atv.Big fuel savings I'll tell ya.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mike;
I can believe it alright Mike.

The old credit card bill took a quantum leap upwards this fall for three months - all of it diesel going into the Cummins. cry

When the boss at work starts talking about the "cheap meat" we get hunting, I just smile and nod. grin

We do live in a grand part of the world to hunt the way we do though, don't we?

When we had horses, I'd hunt with my mare right out of the yard as well. Down here the cost of living is high and wages not so high, but everything taken into consideration I can't complain.

For instance, the whitetail in the pictures are less than 20km by logging road from where I sit typing. I killed a California ram on the mountain I can see from the top of the driveway. We are blessed to live here indeed Mike.

It's always good to hear from you Mike. Have a good weekend and we'll "talk" later. I've got to head out to the shop to grind burger now.

Regards,
Dwayne

PS;
Aren't I not so observant - Happy Birthday Mike!!!!!

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/04/10. Reason: added Happy Birthday !!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10-4 have a good one my friend.

Thank You Kindly Sir.

Last edited by 7 STW; 12/04/10. Reason: added
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Nice pictures, Dwayne and Mike. laugh grin Funny, but mine and yours for this year look like twins.

I almost prefer does because they eat so good. The biggest one I have got so far was a LARGE bodied 10 point that went just around the 300 pound mark, but the rack, although it had good mass, and was symetrical and all was not anywhere near an indication of his body size. Buddy of mine figures he was likely past prime. Tasted good, though.

Happy Birthday Mike. Behave! wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The neighbour's son shot my big 12 pointer that has been hanging around after dark. He came out early yesterday and the lad put a 165 gr tsx that I loaded for him behind the shoulder. I don't know whether to be happy for him, or sad for me. This was the year he was getting to be peaked as I have been watching him for six years. There is a big young ten point that will probably take over duties next year with the does. His Dad says they will give me half the deer but that remains to be seen.

I saw the young buck and four does tonight just before legal shooting was over. Did not have on my watch so did not shoot a doe. Sorry Brother Keith. I'll pass on some of the buck if it comes this way.

Brother Randy

Randy formerly posting as medicman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Here's the pic of my whitetail this year.

Me too, but did manage a trip to the Yukon in Sept.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 10ring1, 75 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,718
Posts18,494,638
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.