Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Went out for a couple of hours this morning to stave off the cabin fever a little and managed to find a few coyotes. First stand was a bust, the second saw a pair coming in WAY too hard. Couldn't get them stopped until they were at 75 yds and the burned me. I got the back dog and the other made the edge of the slough and got away. The third stand had a pair come in hard again, I got the lead dog and the other made it over a hill before I could get a shot off. The fourth stand I called in a red fox that I didn't shoot. The fifth stand I had a single coyote come in and I smoked her at about 250yds before she could get below the lip of a hill that would have brought brought her to 75 yds before I could have seen her again. Good morning of hunting - would have been better if I would have had a partner to help out with the doubles, but nobody was around and I couldn't stand being inside anymore.

GB1

M
M
nice!! sounds like a blast.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nate, you have the yotes figured out, sweet!

Looks like a wicked setup.

Greg sent me up a mouth call a few years ago and it gets kinda western! Called a few in but they always spot my dumbass before I shoot 'em. Need a lesson from you or Pat. Lots of yotes and lots of country to hunt!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ranger1
would have been better if I would have had a partner to help out with the doubles, but nobody was around and I couldn't stand being inside anymore.

Wish I lived closer! Great job and great picture!

ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sam - If you run outta stuff to do between Christmas and New Years give me a call and we'll go kill some of them.

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Good job I went out yesterday and didn't get any in. It has been slow around here

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Deer rifle season just ended here so hopefully I'll be able to go out and get a few now.

Sounds like you've def got them figured out. What call are you runnin? and what load in your rifle?

Brett (Mac)

Brett
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Looks like fun if I could go out a couple hours a day and have that much action, I'd be on a milk carton in a week!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Roger, brother is coming to visit but we'll see. Maybe I'll call in sick and make him help with chores for a day.

Shot one last week, it froze in the back of the pickup.
Climbed to the top of a round bale stack that is right off the highway and made it look like the yote was standing up there.

Need to take a pic.

ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Brett - I run a couple of different Sceery calls; a long range jackrabbit and a cottontail, a custom cow horn howler, and the FoxPro Fury in the picture. My go to calls in the FoxPro are coyote distress and adult cottontail. If I get one that hangs up I work him with the hand calls or throw a change-up or two with the FoxPro. I also like to howl occasionally while the FoxPro is running. Later in the year I use a Flambeau coyote decoy as well. Seems to seal the deal more often when those wary dogs can see another coyote.

I had some trouble with my soft points from MidSouth engaging the lands at normal COAL so I tried some 55 grain BT at Big Sky's recommendation. A load of 24.5 grains of Varget under the BT gives me good groups but one of those coyotes had a he11 of a hole in it. Still not sold on them. I know in the 22-250 they are like a stick of dynamite on hides, we'll see how they perform in the .223 on a few more before I make up my mind for good.

Sam - just let me know, I'm free the 26th-2nd

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nate, first off, great day! Love days like that. Why for didn't you shoot the fox for? As for those 55gr BT's don't run'em too fast. I've only had one extreme blow up with them and it was really bad, but the rest have all been good with minimum fur damage. I don't know if there is a perfect bullet out there, but they are as close as I've been able to get so far. I do have a friend that swears by Calhoon (sp?) double hollow points. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm thinking about it. I understand the need for a partner. I get frustrated sometimes with not having a real good shooting/hunting partner close by. I have lots of guys that want to go, but only have a handful of friends that have enough experience and shooting ability to seal the deal. Unfortunately the best of them (except one and he's in Lewistown) all live on your side of the state. frown

Is it Friday yet?
ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Troy - I didn't shoot the fox because I had just shot a coyote and put a fist sized hole in it at the last stand. Didn't want to shoot the fox and ruin the hide. I've always been very happy with plain old soft points, but those MidSouth bullets seem to have a funny ogive that engages the lands to the point where I pull the bullet when I unload unless they are seated too deep, in that Wylde chamber. Can't complain about the accuracy I get from the BT's but I sure hate to throw away a coyote.

***I'm running the BT's @ around 3000fps - haven't put them over the chrono but that's where the book says they should be with that charge.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nate shoot another 10 coyotes or so with those 55gr BT's before you make up your mind. I'm pretty sure you will like them overall.

Is it Friday yet?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Rock River Arms Coyote???

Just ordered the lower portion of mine, if so.

Nice deal. I really miss it. I slept in today to re-charge. Will be hitting the snow myself in the am.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yep - RRA Coyote Rifle. I can't imagine a better open country coyote hunting platform.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boy they sure are furry! Good job!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not a Good Morning but a Great Morning in my Opinion.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.