Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I was pumping some gas today trying to focus on the dollars display, but it was flashing by so fast I could have gotten dizzy had I looked longer. Thank God the Gooberment said we have had no inflation this year.

Anyhow,my question. I was wondering about the fact they put in around 10% Ethanol in the gas is there any need for "Dry Gas here in the cold climates. If I remember right, Dry Gas was mostly alcohol.

Inquiring mind here and all.

Last edited by Ruger 4570; 12/07/10.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would think it would be superfluous.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
I was wondering about the fact they put in around 10% Ethanol in the gas is there any need for "Dry Gas here in the cold climates.

No, there's no need. The fuel-antifreeze component in Heet and similar products is alcohol.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great Advice,....

great,....

right,....

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I belive its 15% gas 85% ethanol

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by savage62

thats e-85

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks all. That is what I was wondering as I stood in a blizzard freezing my fingers because I forgot my gloves... sheeeesh Even in the cold my brain functioned enough to wonder and you guys convinced me of what i thought made sense.

Crossfire: Old buddy,buddy, Mi Amigo, I mean, I like you better than most of the guys in here, I never pick on you.
Sooooo What do you think about adopting me and having me come out to hot ole Sierra Vista and stay in your backroom????? I'll stay up nights and look for Aliens

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Well the signs say there is "at LEAST 10% ethanol" Ya sure got to wonder what that really means as to how much is actually in the gas.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fluffy
Originally Posted by savage62

thats e-85

Drygas is a brand name, like Heet, except it comes in blue bottles instead of red. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I wonder if we are paying any less for the gas since we aren't getting 100%??

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
I was pumping some gas today trying to focus on the dollars display, but it was flashing by so fast I could have gotten dizzy had I looked longer. Thank God the Gooberment said we have had no inflation this year.

Anyhow,my question. I was wondering about the fact they put in around 10% Ethanol in the gas is there any need for "Dry Gas here in the cold climates. If I remember right, Dry Gas was mostly alcohol.

Inquiring mind here and all.

Well, ethanol does asorb moisture--allegedly lots of it. So for those living in high humidity environs, Heet may not be a bad idea.

It can also play he!! with rubber and gaskets........just ask oops--he's got bad gas karma..... grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are paying more because of the subsidies, both state and federal to keep the ethanol industry afloat!! AND you are getting LESS mpg by around 20% due to the ethanol!! AND the EPA just authorized the states to move to 15% ethanol, which voids the warranty for your engine - go look at your manual.
Government - we need more of it mad

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Well, ethanol does asorb moisture--allegedly lots of it. So for those living in high humidity environs, Heet may not be a bad idea.

Casey, I think you missed a step.

Robert Frost
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JOG

Casey, I think you missed a step.

? What did I miss?!.....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
there are still numerous places where no ethanol is added to the gasoline. i am on the bod of a co-op that has 4 stations. we did sell ethanol/gas mix for several years, but no longer. our supplier offers gas w/o ethanol, and that is what we have been purchasing for at least 1.7 years. both our regular and higher blends are gas only. however, when it becomes more profitable to offer ethanol, we'll get it. mine is an agriculture community, and our patrons, for the most part, don't care for ethanol blends.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
we are forced to use a mixed blend here in phoenix that i really dislike.
I had 35gallons of it in a fj40 a few years ago in the summer when it was 115in the shade. would run the cruiser to keep the battery charged, but not using in cause of no a/c.
one day it wouldn't start, pulled the gas line and was looking at the black stuff coming out. The fuel had separated which it will do with the heat. In addition it ate the rubber out of a mechanical fuel pump.
Translated, you have no choice locally other than to buy it, but you had better burn it up.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What did I miss?!.....

Drygas, Heet, and similar are primarily alcohol. E10 has about 12.8 ounces of alcohol (ethanol) per gallon already.

Robert Frost
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ethanol alcohol is grain alcohol, or same chemical makeup as alcoholic beverages. Ethanol gasoline is hygroscopic, IOTW, it will absorb moisture. The slightest moisture in ethanol will cause 'phase separation', where the hydrocarbons (gas) separate from the ethanol (alcohol). Separation occurs because ethanol is completely soluble in water, but only partially soluble in hydrocarbons. The result from phase separation is a much lower octane value, and much lower volatility.

In a nutshell, ethanol, or grain alcohol mixed with gasoline sucks. It is especially damaging to rubber components, specifically fuel pump diaphrams and gaskets found in two-stroke engines i.e. chain saws, weed eaters, and older outboard motors.

The cure? Buy mid-grade or premium fuel that contains no ethanol for your two-strokes. With the EPA's ban on MTBE, ethanol laced fuel will remain its 'as distilled' volatility and octane rating for 30 days, at best. If you must store it, use a quality fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil's Marine Formula (blue in color), Startron, or PRI-G. These will store fuel well for 12 months and in some cases beyond 12 months. They also prevent phase separation in ethanol fuels.
Stabil red works well for up to 12 months, but is not effective on preventing phase separation on ethanol fuel. I don't even bother with this product anymore.

Methanol, or wood alcohol, is the form that you may have been familiar with in the original gas dryers like 'Heet' and 'Drygas'. Methanol is poisonous, and was adequate as a fuel line antifreeze. It does NOT however actually absorb water.

Isopropyl alcohol is found in the newer gas dryers like 'Iso-Heet' (the red plastic bottle), and is a much more effective gas line anti-freeze. It can absorb water, but not in large quantities. If you've frozen up, or want to prevent it, this is the stuff to buy. Gas line freezing doesn't occur too often with today's fuel-injected engines, especially those with high rates of return fuel to the tank.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by levrluvr
Ethanol alcohol is grain alcohol, or same chemical makeup as alcoholic beverages. Ethanol gasoline is hygroscopic, IOTW, it will absorb moisture. The slightest moisture in ethanol will cause 'phase separation', where the hydrocarbons (gas) separate from the ethanol (alcohol). Separation occurs because ethanol is completely soluble in water, but only partially soluble in hydrocarbons. The result from phase separation is a much lower octane value, and much lower volatility.

In a nutshell, ethanol, or grain alcohol mixed with gasoline sucks. It is especially damaging to rubber components, specifically fuel pump diaphrams and gaskets found in two-stroke engines i.e. chain saws, weed eaters, and older outboard motors.

The cure? Buy mid-grade or premium fuel that contains no ethanol for your two-strokes. With the EPA's ban on MTBE, ethanol laced fuel will remain its 'as distilled' volatility and octane rating for 30 days, at best. If you must store it, use a quality fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil's Marine Formula (blue in color), Startron, or PRI-G. These will store fuel well for 12 months and in some cases beyond 12 months. They also prevent phase separation in ethanol fuels.
Stabil red works well for up to 12 months, but is not effective on preventing phase separation on ethanol fuel. I don't even bother with this product anymore.

Methanol, or wood alcohol, is the form that you may have been familiar with in the original gas dryers like 'Heet' and 'Drygas'. Methanol is poisonous, and was adequate as a fuel line antifreeze. It does NOT however actually absorb water.

Isopropyl alcohol is found in the newer gas dryers like 'Iso-Heet' (the red plastic bottle), and is a much more effective gas line anti-freeze. It can absorb water, but not in large quantities. If you've frozen up, or want to prevent it, this is the stuff to buy. Gas line freezing doesn't occur too often with today's fuel-injected engines, especially those with high rates of return fuel to the tank.

Ethanol has been approved by most automotive manufacturers as an allowable oxygenate fuel; its usually mixed with chit gas and used to boost octane ratings. It does suffer from the phase separation and should be treated, although I have never had any issues with plain-jane Sta-Bil, period. I do know you roll the dice without it in the mowers, saws, etc..

The Methanol additives were often posted around many shops as also having serious phase separation issues. Saw many a baby food jar with methanol and gas mixed together; looked like sludge in fuel.

Iso is the best for "drying" and for lack of separation; also saw the "baby food jar" advertising for it as well, usually in favor of it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
You are paying more because of the subsidies, both state and federal to keep the ethanol industry afloat!! AND you are getting LESS mpg by around 20% due to the ethanol!! AND the EPA just authorized the states to move to 15% ethanol, which voids the warranty for your engine - go look at your manual.

One of the reasons we no longer have gas-powered vehicles.. Both ours are diesel.. And the bikes use 91+ premium which, at least in this state is nice, does NOT contain any of that ethanol crap..

Not sure I'll ever buy a gasser again..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

203 members (338rcm, 257 mag, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,842 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,558
Posts18,510,463
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.