Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
LOL. Weaver came out with an 80th anniversary Steel Tube 'retro' K-4, yet I believe it did get updated lens coating, etc.

Before I buy a new VX-I or II, I'd be looking at these:

Redfield Revolution - Yes, mfg. in USA by Leupold - very good optics for the money from what I could tell looking thru a 4-12.
Nikon - Pro Staff, etc.
Burris FFII
Bushnell 3200
Weaver - esp. interested in the K-6x38.

The VX-3 is a good scope, but for the money, I question if I can do better. It may be splitting hairs, but I think a Conquest is better money spent when you compare glass and consider the reticle. Many complain about the 'gold/orange' flare of a Leupold reticle in certain light conditions, and I have seen it. I have not heard any of this with Zeiss.

I sure would like to see a lower priced line of 2.5/3x, 4x, and 6x fixed models by the Redfield division.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those who say there's no glow haven't looked.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Pilgrim +P..

Methuselah

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have seen the reticle wires turn bronze color in several scopes. The Leupolds, Nikon Monarch Ucc, Bushnell 4200 Elites and Weaver Grand Slams. Funny thing is I have had a Pentax Pioneer (same as Burris Fullfield II, and a Sightron SII and although they have wire reticles Ive never seen light reflect off of them like that. I think it has something to do with the positioning of the crosshairs in the scope that makes it this way. Maybe some have the crosshairs either further in from the eyepiece so the light doesnt come in at an angle that hits the wire reticle the same as it does in other scopes.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You guys keep talking about Zeiss conquest being so good. I don't have one so can't comment from personal experience. BUT... I have had two hunters that have switched from Zeiss to Leupold. One, an elk hunter I had this year from TX stopped at the Whittington center and replaced his Zeiss conquest with a VX3 LR because it tracked better and had a better eye box! He spends a lot of money on scopes and rifles but really liked this VX3!

He did shoot his elk at 618 yds so I can't complain!

Last edited by dennisinaz; 12/07/10.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
You guys keep talking about Zeiss conquest being so good. I don't have one so can't comment from personal experience. BUT... I have had two hunters that have switched from Zeiss to Leupold. One, an elk hunter I had this year from TX stopped at the Whittington center and replaced his Zeiss conquest with a VX3 LR because it tracked better and had a better eye box! He spends a lot of money on scopes and rifles but really liked this VX3!

Oh man, don't tell me that! I've got three 3-9s waiting at home to be mounted on something!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

You take all the VX-3's and I'll take the Conquests and we'll both be happy!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
VG,
Would you please cite the data source that you obtained the this information from to make this comment -

"Why then, "pray tell", do the folks at Leupold sell more scopes than any other manufacturer in the world???"

The last documented figures that I saw had Bushnell as #1.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nuguy
I have seen the reticle wires turn bronze color in several scopes. The Leupolds, Nikon Monarch Ucc, Bushnell 4200 Elites and Weaver Grand Slams. Funny thing is I have had a Pentax Pioneer (same as Burris Fullfield II, and a Sightron SII and although they have wire reticles Ive never seen light reflect off of them like that. I think it has something to do with the positioning of the crosshairs in the scope that makes it this way. Maybe some have the crosshairs either further in from the eyepiece so the light doesnt come in at an angle that hits the wire reticle the same as it does in other scopes.

2 things:

reticles in the rear focal plane are more likely to turn colors because of light hittinhg them through the eyepiece.

etched reticles change color much less than wire

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Pilgrim +P..

Methuselah

I'm thinking the marketing team recruits from the Harley Davidson gene pool.

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
47 yr. olf technology ? Leupold didn't make fully multicoated scopes until the early 90's. What they made then, and still make are the best in reliable scopes. Scopes that are also very user friendly.
Some of you guys are really funny. The reticle of the Conquest is sharper than the ones in a Leupold ? BS.
If properly focused, they are equally sharp.
Leupold's reticles change colors ? So what ? Doesn't affect the performance of the scope. E

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
65BR: So YOU prefer Zeiss reticles - so what?
Your post is full of inuendo and baseless opinion!
Why then, "pray tell", do the folks at Leupold sell more scopes than any other manufacturer in the world???
For the last MANY years I pay particular attention to the Hunters I see afield and shooters I see at various Rifle ranges and these Hunters/shooters prefer and use more Leupolds by a LARGE Margin!
Case in point there 65BR - go obtain the last four issues of Eastmans Hunting Journal (I have them on hand in case YOU can't obtain them).
Then carefully peruse the "Equipment List" that accompanies virtually every Hunting article that they include in their fine magazine.
You WILL notice that Leupold scopes are used by more of their authors/Hunters than any other brand!
And these are SUCCESSFUL and sophisticated Hunters by the way.
I wonder why so many of them use Leupold scopes???
Your baseless attempt (posting) at besmirching Leupold scopes holds absolutely NO creedence what so ever with me nor with legions of other successful and sophisticated Hunters/shooters!
I have used and currently own products made by Zeiss and about a dozen and a half other optical companies but when the chips are down I trust Leupold scopes explicitly!
Your ignorant comment about "Leupold not being on the cutting edge of technology" just proves my point - YOU are ignorant!
Leupold has led the way in scope innovation for DECADES!
Sorry to be so blunt with you but you are just another ignorant and unsuccessful Leupold basher!
Leupold scopes are an excellent investment of ones monies and are a reliable and excellent performing scope - thats why they are the number one selling scope in the world.
Long live Leupold & Stevens Company!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

That why Luphld mak lot part in China!! Put on chip go to USA. Afta open cntaner Luphld put cap on thn say Made USA!!

If cope brk send to uncle Cho he run brk fis dept at Luphld aso raundry dwntwn!

Erremus hep uncle Cho mak dimond coat fo lenz---Veeeery Pretty!!

Last edited by Winston338; 12/08/10.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Winston338

That why Luphld mak lot part in China!! Put on chip go to USA. Afta open cntaner Luphld put cap on thn say Made USA!!

If cope brk send to uncle Cho he run brk fis dept at Luphld aso raundry dwntwn!

Erremus hep uncle Cho mak dimond coat fo lenz---Veeeery Pretty!!

OK I know I'm not politically correct .......but thats funny right there

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
laugh

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tophet1
What I find amazing is that leupold is still able to sell VX-I and VX-II scopes built with 47yo technology.

Actually, their revolutionary Twilight enhanced "technology" is only 60 years behind Zeiss.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
47 yr. olf technology ? Leupold didn't make fully multicoated scopes until the early 90's. What they made then, and still make are the best in reliable scopes. Scopes that are also very user friendly.
Some of you guys are really funny. The reticle of the Conquest is sharper than the ones in a Leupold ? BS.
If properly focused, they are equally sharp.
Leupold's reticles change colors ? So what ? Doesn't affect the performance of the scope. E

Don't forget to mention the legendary repair service..

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Eremicus

Very true E, the etched Leupold reticles look just like the Conquest reticles, wire or electoform, not so much!!!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Etched reticles are the way to go but not everyone cares or understands.

Ziess simply does not have great reticle to compare. Someday but not now.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Never looked thru a Ziess. OTOH, my Zeiss looks great to my eyes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 65BR
Never looked thru a Ziess. OTOH, my Zeiss looks great to my eyes.

grin grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,444
Posts18,489,584
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.