Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 54 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 53 54
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I would take my .338 SS Classic M70 in a McMillan stock with a 2.5-8x36 Leupy and iron sights. Cut to 23" it is a bit over 8#.

It is well below MOA with 5 loads that I have for it.

Load would be the old 225 TBBC HE load. I have lots.

Sort of a mid range setup but that is my choice.

I am sighted in 3.0 in high at 100 yards at the moment. I have shot it a lot out to 300. We have a 1000 yard range but I have only shot it out to 600. For the described range I might go up to 3.5 in at 100 yards and verify the new zero and drops to 600.

I prefer getting closer to shooting further for the heck of it.

A monster bull would be a thrill but only if I got to hunt for it.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have never had my boots or pack cost me a bull. Seriously, how hard is it to pick an appropriate pair of boots? I might get a blister or two but that would hardly stop the hunt. Pick the wrong rifle/cartridge and that could very well cost the hunt.
Did you say blisters?? laugh
[Linked Image]

Luckily this pic wasn't taken after a hunt, but I did nearly repeat the condition about 2 weeks later trying to help a buddy on a hunt. I will say this, these blisters lamed me up enough that it wouldn't have mattered what rifle I was carrying as I wasn't going too far too fast for awhile...

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
With all due respect Mr. Burns, picking the wrong pair of boots on an elk hunt can do more than "give you a couple of blisters".

For MOST people, the hardest part of an elk hunt is simply finding the little devils. They can be sucessfully taken with a variety of calibers as all the comments from members of the campfire will testify.

Of the 15-20 bulls I've killed, I know that every single one of them could have been taken with an '06 and 180 grain partitions...though in fact none of them were.

The boots I wore for 10-14 hours a day ascending and descending 2k-4k feet a day were FAR more important to me.

I think hunting style has a lot to do with where a hunter places value. I suspect that MOST expereienced elk hunters will tell you that the implement of death matters far less being able to find the critters...which is where good boots, packs, etc. come into play.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
B-29. It flips 'em and guts 'em to 1000 yards.

If forced to pick the "Best Elk Cartridge in the World??" i would have to agree and go with the MIGHTY B-29

Any other simply pales in comparison IMHO&E

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
378 WBY and 260gr Partitions.

Wayne

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No way as good as the B-29

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The point is instead of worrying about adequate let�s talk about what is the absolute best elk cartridge in the world??

No such critter exists. My favorite elke cartridge that I have is my .375 H&H loaded with the Sierra 250 gr BTSP over a healthy dose of RL-15. With this load I would go out to about 400 yards.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
what in heck do you nickname a 338-378 Accumark?

I named my .375 "El Troubador". When it sings the critters don't like it.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lil Logcutter,

Well I can understand how my behavior with Big Stick might have come across as me being an azz. In my defense he did make some rather disparaging remarks regarding my stock. I am going to try and act a little more like an adult in the future.

Awwww! Dang it all to heck. grin

Big Stick doesn't hesitate to come at people hard; from the cheap seats it just seemed like you called his bluff.

On the other hand, being a peace-love-and-understanding kind of guy, I'm all for BS moderating his behavior just a "bit", which would then mean there's no reason to be callin' bluffs and having pizzin' matches and whatnot.

But in the end I do think it'd be way cool if the two of you would have a shoot-out. Err, I mean a shoot-off. grin I'd expect both of you to do pretty well at practical riflery. It'd be great fun.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by pointer
I have never had my boots or pack cost me a bull. Seriously, how hard is it to pick an appropriate pair of boots? I might get a blister or two but that would hardly stop the hunt. Pick the wrong rifle/cartridge and that could very well cost the hunt.
[Linked Image]

Luckily this pic wasn't taken after a hunt, but I did nearly repeat the condition about 2 weeks later trying to help a buddy on a hunt. I will say this, these blisters lamed me up enough that it wouldn't have mattered what rifle I was carrying as I wasn't going too far too fast for awhile...

I thought we all agreed about that particular picture being officially banned from the campfire...(grin)

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by WyoJoe
The point is instead of worrying about adequate let�s talk about what is the absolute best elk cartridge in the world??

No such critter exists. My favorite elke cartridge that I have is my .375 H&H loaded with the Sierra 250 gr BTSP over a healthy dose of RL-15. With this load I would go out to about 400 yards.

The B-29 albeit a Wildcat

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
30-06! It was good 104 years ago and it is even better today with premium bullets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anything that's not a 7mag,lol .308 cal on up..

1 and done
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Obviously this thread wasn't intended as a discussion on hunting trophy elk on southwestern reservations during the rut and what cartridges may be best in that context. Any info I'm willing to share on animals, conditions, guidelines, regulations and how it may relate to cartridge choice seems not to be relevant I suppose.

If threads on the fire are going to be info commercials, same as hunting shows on TV really are just commercials with no real substance. Please put an advisory at the beginning so most of us won't waste our time replying to the topic.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kent,

Rancho Loco,

A blister can turn normal 10 mile days into 2 miles.
A pack needs to fit and WORK to get in and out comfortably.

Like the wise men have said.. Killing an Elk is the easy part. I just need to find them, I'll kill them with a rock if I that's all I have.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
[Linked Image]

Very illustrative. Thank you....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never had a blister on my feet.

Office feet must be alot softer, that or you'd need to find some really poor fitting boots?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Office feet!!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Flat lander's talking smack!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
New guys at work used to complain about hand blisters. Takes a week or to toughen up the old palms. Hammers and shovels will get you!

Page 6 of 54 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 53 54

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (300_savage, AB2506, AscensionIndustries, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 663 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,224
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.