Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by LIV2HUNT
Originally Posted by Eremicus

Some of you guys are really funny. The reticle of the Conquest is sharper than the ones in a Leupold ? BS.

Very true E, the etched Leupold reticles look just like the Conquest reticles, wire or electoform, not so much!!!

Does anyone know which of the leupold reticles are the etched reticles?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tophet1
What I find amazing is that leupold is still able to sell VX-I and VX-II scopes built with 47yo technology.

Probably because the overwhelming majority of hunters don't hang out here;they haven't figured out yet that they "need" something better......cause no one has told them smile

They just sight in(hopefully)and go kill stuff.. grin

As to the 47 year old technology,I'm still waiting for soemone to build a variable that will reliably last for a couple thousand rounds at a price we can afford.......most variables are made with hopelessly archaic designs,which are all pretty much the same,far as I know.

I understand what 65BR is talking about on the reticles,but wonder how much is attributable to the quality of the glass, in say,a Zeiss Conquest, or a Minox,as two examples.To my eyes,both have better glass than the Leupolds,which I still use, but things are what they are......

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/09/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Tophet1
What I find amazing is that leupold is still able to sell VX-I and VX-II scopes built with 47yo technology.

As to the 47 year old technology,I'm still waiting for soemone to build a variable that will reliably last for a couple thousand rounds at a price we can afford.......most variables are made with hopelessly archaic designs,which are all pretty much the same,far as I know.

I thought you had one that will last, the SUMMIT

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A few thousand rounds will tell......and I said "affordable".....the Summit is not affordable...it's expensive! frown

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My money is on the S&B

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's always interesting to hear about "old technology" in this scope and that scope, especially when Zeiss wasn't waterproofing any of its scopes until the 1990's--something that Kahles and Leupold had been doing for decades.

My bet is that fogged scopes have caused a lot more problems in the hunting fields than wire reticles ever did.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ask Mule Deer about the reliability of 4000/4200's. He's written lots about them for that reason.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
JB, tell me about the reliability of the 4/4200s?

I well remember going squirrel hunting one HUMID morning w/a 22, upon which I had the old tech B&L compact 4x32. An outstanding scope, yet it fogged EXTERNALLY constantly due to the virtually 100% Humidity, and it was raining to boot. It has made me ponder many times should I be using the 'Rainguard' line often, but that was an exception that day.....the hunting sucked too...tree rats were smart to stay holed up.

Landcruiser, Leupold will answer your ?s if you call/email them, the B&C, Mil Dot are two to my knowledge and I believe the Varmint Hunting ranging reticle. There may be a few more. I am not 100% but again Leupold will confirm.

BTW, those 'non waterproof Zeiss' I recall someone saying they were not waterproof when the adjustment caps were off. Is that what made them not waterproof?

Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by John Barsness

One point I was trying to make is that we have lots of really good scopes today, at any price point. For instance the Bushnell Elites. I was hunting a lot with Bausch & Lomb Elites 20 years ago, and they were quite good scopes, very fine optically and extremely tough. But their adjustments weren't the best in the world. Today's Bushnell Elites are better optically, just as tough, have very good adjustments--and cost less than the B&L's, considering inflation.

I have had very good luck with Bushnell Elites--and for a long time, ever since they were Bausch & Lomb Balvars and Balfors in the late 80's, then were B&L Elites, and then the Bushnell Elites. They have all been very tough. In fact I still have a Balfor (4x fixed) from around 1990 that has been on so many hard-kicking rifles I can't remember them all. Just last year I sold a 1.5-6x Balvar to a friend who admired it, and it had been on lots of rifles up to .416 Remington Magnum. As far as I have seen since then the various Elites have been made just as well, and the great optics of the Bal- lines are even better in the 4200's.

I never used a Leupold scope on a hunting rifle until 1990. Before that I used a few steel-tube Weavers (mostly because a lot of people did when I was growing up in Montana in the 1960's), but in the 1980's I started using a lot of Bausch & Lombs, because they had the best optics of any scope I could afford then, and were pretty tough as well. In fact I still have some of those scopes. They were the precursors to the Bushnell 4200 Elites that so many hunters like today, and I have taken quite a few anmals with the 3200 and 4200 (and short-lived 3000 and 4000) Elites as well.

Since I started hunting in the mid-60's I've taken several hundred big game animals, and kept notes on all of them. Exactly 27% have been taken with Leupold scopes, about 3/4 fixed-power Leupolds from 3x to 6x. I have probably taken about as many with the B&L/Bushnell Elites as I have with Leupolds, and have also taken a lot of animals with Burris and Swarovski scopes as well. I am probably as big a fan of any of those as Leupold, and Burris is the only other brand of scope other than Leupold that I've never had go belly-up on me in the field.

Reliability carries a lot of weight with me. I've never thought Leupold had the best optics in the world; even back in the 1990's it was obvious that B&Ls/Bushnell Elites had better optics than the M8's, though there wasn't much difference between the Mult-Coat 4 Vari-X III's and the B&L's. And I never thought Leupolds had great adjustments, though once sighted in they stayed that way, which is more than I could say about some other scopes, including some that cost a lot more. (Well, here I should exclude Leica--though the previous Leica scopes were made by Leupold.)

Lately I have seen some fall-off in the reliability of Leupolds, as some other people have. My wife had a 3.5-10x40 VX-III, for instance, go nuts on her a couple of seasons ago. She sent it back and they replaced the erector spring. But I have yet to have a fixed-power Leupold break down due to sheer use on any of my hunting rifles. I know it happens, but it has never happened to me--or anybody I've been hunting with.

Because of that, I was more interested in testing the new VX-3's new adjustments than its optics, but did test the optics with the reasonably scientific method I've settled on over the years (and which has had some unexpected results). Both adjustments and optics turned out to be improvements over the VX-III.

But it doesn't buy a false evaluation.

I have always had very good luck with the Bushnell Elites, including their previous incarnations going back to the Balvar days 20 years ago. They've always been very good optically and quite tough.

I totally agree about the Bushnell 4200. The have been one of the toughest scopes for a long time now. I have had better luck with 4200's (and the 4000's that preceded them) than Nikons and Sightrons.

You might also consider the Burris Fullfield II's. In my experience they are also very tough.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
65BR,

Before the early 1990's, neither Swarovski or Zeiss used O-rings in the adjustments turrets of their scopes to make sure atmospheric moisture didn't enter the scope when the turret caps were off.

This was common in scopes many years ago (and the reason interior fogging was so common among scopes) but in the late 1940's Leupold started making scopes and sealed the adjustments with a heavy grease to keep humidity out of the inside. This was done because Marcus Leupold went on a hunt with an expensive European scope that fogged. At the same time Leupold used nitrogen to purge the insides of their scopes of moisture, a technique developed by the U.S. Navy during WWII. This was the big reason Leupold scopes quickly gained a reputation for reliability.

Eventually Leupold started using O-rings instead of the grease. Pretty soon most other American and Japanese makers started doing the same thing.

In 1960, Kahles started using O-rings in their adjustment turrets, becoming the first European manufacturer to seal their adjustments. But most European makers stuck to the "old technology" of not sealing the adjustments, instead depending on the turret caps to keep water out. When I was on a writer-tour of the Zeiss factories in 1993, I asked them about this, and their response was: "Why would you ever take the turret caps off?" (Many if not most German hunters don't sight-in their own scopes. Instead they have their gunsmith do it, often at an indoor range.)

Swarovski was just as stubborn about the same problem, so I finally took the caps off one test scope they sent, and left the scope in a sink full of warm water long enough that the scope partly filled with water, then put the caps back on and sent the scope back A year or so later they introduced the first totally sealed Swarovski scopes. I don't know if that was a coincidence or not.

Prior to World War Two many scopes only had internal elevation adjustments. Windage adjustments were made in the mounts. American and Japanese scopes were full adjustable soon after the war, but Europe clung to elevation-only for a long time. Swarovski stated making riflescopes in 1976, with only had elevation adjustments.

So as far as "yesterday's technology" goes, sometimes European scopes have been very much behind the times, contrary to the belief of many American scope-snobs.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
"Swarovski was just as stubborn about the same problem, so I finally took the caps off one test scope they sent, and left the scope in a sink full of warm water long enough that the scope partly filled with water, then put the caps back on and sent the scope back A year or so later they introduced the first totally sealed Swarovski scopes. I don't know if that was a coincidence or not."

LMAO, coincidence? Highly not! Good for you. They got your hint, future scope owners benefited.

It sounds like the playing field has been leveled in recent years in reliable designs.

Never had any bad experience, just great w/3200/4200 and even 3k/4k series, yet I do wonder when reading others sent scopes back for service, and complained it was lacking.

Can you speak to the Bushnell service department? Good/bad?

Thanks much for the clarification.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i get that leupold has good stuff but why zeiss can charge 399.99 for a 3-9x40 with etched reticle standard and leupold is a 170$ option?

― George Orwell, 1984
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SAKO75
i get that leupold has good stuff but why zeiss can charge 399.99 for a 3-9x40 with etched reticle standard and leupold is a 170$ option?

Because they can, buyers just suck up the extra charge without question..

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C

I'll tell you why, 90% of hunters don't know the difference themselves. Leupold isn't stupid either and that is why the subtle name changes to their scope lines - vx111 to vx3, etc. Most guys know that Leupold is a good name and that's what they go with.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnfox

Because they can, buyers just suck up the extra charge without question..

Not all buyers.....or potential buyers....as they get smarter all the time and realize Leupold is not the only game in town, when it comes to good optics, and at a better price.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JB, what ever happened to the new designs that Meade Engineering pioneered with that cylindrical spring replacing the gimbal to hold the erector tube in place? They introduced these a few years back in the Simmons scope line and I bumped into your article on this in a back issue of Rifle......

But we stopped hearing about it anymore.....that was the "newer" technology vs old tech that I had in mind...but it seems to have disappeared.Is any scope maker using it?

It seemed to make sense,and have numerous advantages.....

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/09/10.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It made sense, but the scope they used it in wasn't all that hot otherwise. Or isn't. I think it is still being made.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You'd think someone would put it in a decent scope.....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Meade didn't know the riflescope world before they got into it, and never did learn much before they go out.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm left wondering why so many want Leupold to offer the etched reticle to compete directly with a Conquest.

Why not simply buy the Conquest if it is such great glass and you really like the reticle?

It seems to me that most here either have some secret "admiration" for Leupold, or else don't really trust Zeiss to the level that they claim.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 16gage, 160user, 16penny, 49 invisible), 2,861 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,421
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.