Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
MWC Offline OP
OP Offline
M
How long can you leave ammo loaded into a clip? I would think the spring would break down after a certain amount of time. Don't know for sure.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nobody knows, it's longer than any tests so far.
Clips don't have springs though.
See e.g. on Brownell's GunTech: Differences In Spring Rate Set Between Different Types of Spring Materials
by Mike Watkins

The fact that all springs take an initial set is true and continue to do so over time as long as the same load or compression is the same. I did measure an old Colt AR-15 magazine spring from about 1972, which was the original and it measured 7.086 inches long. I also have a 70 series Colt 1911 from 1975 with the original recoil spring in it which measured 6.338 inches long.

and all the other done to death discussion much of it based on theoretical applications of Hooke's Law and ideal rather than real springs.
Generally after first taking a set a magazine spring in a friendly environment (not continuous salt spray at high temperature or what have you) will last a long long time - in terms of say human lifespan if not geologic time - under a static load - sustained flex from heavy use is a different story - frex IMHO a much used, that is very much used, quality spring in a quality magazine such as a Wilson 47D can be, might be, at least worth a critical look in about a year.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 12/08/10.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If the magazine has a good spring, you have nothing to worry about. Constant loading and unloading likely will do more harm than leaving one loaded.

μολὼν λαβέ
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
True, dat. Compression doesn't harm a spring, stretching and unstretching does.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Years ago I E-Mailed McCormick Mags and they reccomended rotating loaded mags every 3 years.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I read a report years ago by Jeff Cooper who tested some loaded 2nd world war clips and found they worked perfectly in his .45 Colt. Both the ammo worked and the magazines worked fine even after all these years.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read about that test as well. However, the Japanese tourists he shot at weren't too happy. Jeff always did like realistic tests...

whistle

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
John Dean Cooper wrote on the subject from both personal experience and observation. To the best of my knowledge the longest storage Jeff Cooper ever wrote about was about this example:

That was a 1921 Commercial Colt that laid in an attic in Condition One from the day its owner died in 1929 until my step-father inherited it at his aunt's death in 1991. He died in his sleep, and his wife found the gun in the nightstand. She wrapped it in a diaper...put in a hat box...and stored it in the attic. Her surviving sister gave it to my step-father the day of the funeral, saying that he was the only family member who would have an interest in it, since Aunt Emma had outlived all her sons, and her sister was a spinster. The gun has been willed to me.
John T..... who did at least one experiment on his own:

.... I left 18 magazines equipped with Wolff springs loaded for a year...and then pressed the magazines into service for range use. Five years later, they're still there.
That was several years ago and I haven't heard to the contrary.

There were any number of examples left loaded during deployments of varying length - lots of 7-10 year examples, quite a few duration of the war examples and a few from WWI to WWII examples.

A little googling will show results like: American Handgunner, May-June, 2003 by John S. Layman:
Magazine spring madness: 'creep' to your 'elastic limit' to un-earth the urban legend of 'spring-set' which mentions examples up to 50 years.

Colonel Cooper was AFAIK something of a pedant on clips and magazines though. Any WWII clips he tested were I expect for the Garand and lacked any separate springs.

the use of "clip" in place of magazine and such-like barbarisms are annoying
Cooper

I suspect that unlike the coil springs in magazines the flat brassy tensioners in some stripper clips might well lose tension over time as steel flows slowly if at all at room temperature and certainly copper alloys will flow more but I don't know how much more. I have stripper clips that have been loaded for many years - with empty cases - and still hold the cases in normal handling.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 12/08/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It has much to do with the design of the spring as anything. If the spring is designed for low stress, then it will resist settling, on even the first compression.

If a spring is designed to yield at first compression, it will yield some on that first compression, then very little the second time, and so on. Materials and processing also influence this behavior.

I make springs for a living, and I leave magazines loaded and don't worry about it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
MWC Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks to all for the info. Just what I was hoping to hear! Load them and don't worry about the time.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,509
Posts18,509,355
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.