Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 54 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 53 54
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What would you know about hard work!!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by goodnews
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
[quote=goodnews]
Other than the obvious and more common nicknames such as,,,,the beast, the hammer, hammer of Thor, monster, etc, what in heck do you nickname a 338-378 Accumark?

Fat boy?

One shot wonder (wonder why the hell I just shot that thing!!!!), shoulder dislocater, Anything but accumark after the 2nd or 3rd shot crazy
...............One shot wonder uh? Now that`s funny! The Accumark has a brake. My 375 Ruger Alaskan with no brake has more recoil.

20-40 rounds from the bench with either the Accumark or the Alaskan is fun. In my case, the nickname "one shot wonder" wouldn`t quite apply or be appropriate.

Don`t become a recoil wimp on me now.......LOL! laugh
How about earsplittenloudenboomer.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by iddave
With all due respect Mr. Burns, picking the wrong pair of boots on an elk hunt can do more than "give you a couple of blisters".

For MOST people, the hardest part of an elk hunt is simply finding the little devils. They can be sucessfully taken with a variety of calibers as all the comments from members of the campfire will testify.

Of the 15-20 bulls I've killed, I know that every single one of them could have been taken with an '06 and 180 grain partitions...though in fact none of them were.

The boots I wore for 10-14 hours a day ascending and descending 2k-4k feet a day were FAR more important to me.

I think hunting style has a lot to do with where a hunter places value. I suspect that MOST expereienced elk hunters will tell you that the implement of death matters far less being able to find the critters...which is where good boots, packs, etc. come into play.

I agree 100%. Of course, once you find the right boots, there's nothing to it--it's not like messing around tweaking rifles and loads and such, and not nearly as much fun to go boot shopping as it is to go to the range.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Flat lander's talking smack!!!

I wonder how many weeks it would take to blister up out there?

(grin)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Photoshop!!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll tell you what.. My Columbia's are like wearing pillows, but they stink my feet up bad. We're talking old bat chit crazy lady, house full of cats and their rotten piss - BAD.

Next year I'm wearing those on our antelope hunt and I'm leaving some socks around your house as mementos..

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
krp,

Gosh how about you just save your valuable time and not post in any thread I start?? Seems simple and would make us both happy.

Think of all the time you could have saved if you had not made 11 (eleven ) posts in the thread about me and Big Stick.

Guys who are having fun with this thread,

Sorry guys I am going to have to say finding the right boots to hunt in for elk is not very hard and finding a decent pack is even easier. This is coming from a guy that loves to try different boots out. I just bought a pair of Zamberlan Sellas and they are absolutely the best things I have ever worn, but I killed my best bull in a good pair of Kenetreks and these wonder boots would not have made a difference in the outcome of the hunt.

The wrong choice in rifle or caliber would have made a huge difference.

Not a bull but Kenetreks and Eberlestock pack. Seems simple enough.
[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Nice gun...
nice ram...
nice photo...
but your hat is scaring me.

wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nasty, hot feet suck!

One day this Summer the AC konked in a tractor. Around 93F outside and hotter than hell in the cab all afternoon.
I was wearing Meindl hikers and took 'em off quick, feet were on fire. From now on it's cowboy boots in the tractor, they are alot cooler.

Hopefully the crazy horned buck survives until next season, we will go after him!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
krp,

The wrong choice in rifle or caliber would have made a huge difference.

You've lost me.

I'll stick with what I've learned, from hunters who I respect immensely from their previous experiences, not from someone who's selling hardware that makes up one of the least parts of the hunt.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Flat lander's talking smack!!!

I wonder how many weeks it would take to blister up out there?

(grin)

[Linked Image]

Just add trees, for blowdown to deal with, and so that you can't glass for chit... constant rain for slipperyness and general discomfort due to raingear & hiking... ... and less critters... and you got the Oregon Coast Range right there! grin

Trying to find a Ukiah unit pic to post, that's eastern Oregon. More like the pic above but still WAY more trees.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sorry guys I am going to have to say finding the right boots to hunt in for elk is not very hard and finding a decent pack is even easier.

Very true on both counts--almost as easy as finding a good cartridge for elk hunting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Finding a good cartridge is very easy, finding the best elk cartridge in the world is somewhat harder smile

It is a lot of fun to try and find the answer.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Interesting perspective John.

Was that ram from a DIY hunt or was that a guided affair?

Dave

Last edited by iddave; 12/09/10.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Personally, for the conditions I've hunted elk in, a .338WM is what I'd argue is "best". In a properly-fit rifle it's quite shootable; with the excellent 225-Accubond it has ballistics rivalling anything short of niche cartridges shooting niche bullets, it is a bona-fide 600+ yard cartridge, and I don't think a man Jack amongst us could make a credible case for lack of killin' power. And it perks fine from barrels as short as 22".

Tom put it very well the other day: if a 45/70 and a 7mm mag hooked up and had a baby- it'd be the .338 Win mag! smile

So if we asked, what's "best" for 90-something percent of shots taken on elk by 90-something percent of hunters that's my answer.

I do realize not everyone has a concrete block for brains and that my recoil tolerance is, it appears, on the high side. But I still think with a bit of work on the rifle and/or shooter, it's very shootable.

If it kicks too hard for someone my next best would something in the 300WSM or 30-06 range.

For a dedicated rifleman willing to put in the effort to become proficient at long range, and carry a rifle set up for that (which often means it's a compromise in other areas- weight, glass, bullet chosen, etc) then I don't know. Big 7's, 30's, 33's seem to rule the day there. Or of course .264's. grin

I'm hardly the smokiest oyster in the tin when it comes to elk huntin but that's how I see it.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 12/09/10.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dave,

I drew the tag here in Wyoming and killed the ram 24.2 miles from where I sit now. Everything was DIY, mules, tack, scouting, ect. Wish I could get a tag every year as it was a whole lot of fun.

Thanks Jeff for following the spirit of the post

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't tell on my iPhone screen John... are those wool pants in that pic?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Everything was DIY, mules, tack, scouting, ect.

And with all of those things mentioned the RIFLE and/or CALIBER was the most important thing? That must have been a hell of a long shot to outweigh the aforementioned.

Congrats on a GREAT animal. I'd give almost anything to take a Bighorn here in Idaho...but alas the tag draws have not favored me.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Don't piss on my back and say it's raining.

Your hypothetical reminds me of Lee24 and his Grand Canyon BS. I left you openings to ask about the truth without being an azz. The hunters on this site want to know the reality of whatever is being discussed, not some 'looking out the plate glass window' during lunch imaginings. We could have had a decent discussion on hunting the rez, Oh well.

Whatever I've commented on your childish repetition posts still stand. Sorry you didn't enjoy my distractionary humor with other members, usually eases the tension.

I'm not pissed, I'm a good friend to have, I'll call it straight up everytime, don't BS me.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kent,

You made 11 (eleven) posts in a thread designed to keep a stupid argument between Stick and me alive. I cannot speak for him but I am not hear for your amusement and don�t particularly like that kind of thread being kept alive by guys like you.

Go find your fun somewhere else.

Want to have a decent discussion about the �Rez� then start a post about the �Rez�.

Want to voice your opinion on what is the best elk cartridge in the World, this is the time.

Iddave,

The gear was almost exactly the same for the bull but the shot was 1102 yds on the last day of the hunt. The mules, tack, boots, ect got me there but without the range it was just a tough ride, fun but tough.

Jeff,

North Face nylon pants. Really tough and dry all most immediately but fire embers will burn through so fast it will freak you out.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Page 7 of 54 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 53 54

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.