-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It isn't that I take offense, it's that Mr Woodie goes out of his way to deliberately be offensive. I learned on the playground that people like that are pathetic losers who cover up their failures with bravado and stridency. B and S just seem to fit, don't they?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
T
For the OP.

I don't have my data book handy but H322 is my current fav in my AR-15 setup for the local CMP "style" shoots.

I can't remember the speeds or loads but I'm shooting the Hornaday 68gr match. The H322 works wonderfuly and the best part is my powder thrower loves it. Very accurate and repeatable, in fact once I have a good base line going, I don't even weigh my competition loads. Miles better than Varget or anything else I tried.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It isn't that I take offense, it's that Mr Woodie goes out of his way to deliberately be offensive. I learned on the playground that people like that are pathetic losers who cover up their failures with bravado and stridency. B and S just seem to fit, don't they?

a Big 10-4 on that one....

Belittling and degrading everyone around... so they can feel better about themselves..

and the more they do it, the less they think everyone can see thru it..

little do they know that the exact opposite is occurring..

sad they can't learn being a blowhard only impresses themselves and a few other losers who suffer from the same inferiority complex..

reminds me a lot of shortman complex... of course you don't have to be short, to have some version of it..

maybe someone will learn the difference between sharing what they know with others, and just being a braggard..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TexasTBag
For the OP.

I don't have my data book handy but H322 is my current fav in my AR-15 setup for the local CMP "style" shoots.

I can't remember the speeds or loads but I'm shooting the Hornaday 68gr match. The H322 works wonderfuly and the best part is my powder thrower loves it. Very accurate and repeatable, in fact once I have a good base line going, I don't even weigh my competition loads. Miles better than Varget or anything else I tried.

I don't know if "better" than Varget, but it sure is a darn good powder for accuracy in the 22.250 and the 223, thats for darn sure.

Do you find that the accuracy in it increases with higher charge weights? I admit to going over book max with some of the bullet weights, but the groups get smaller.. in multiple bolt action 223s...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
You are dreaming.

Again................

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Seafire
[quote=TexasTBag]For the OP.

I don't know if "better" than Varget, but it sure is a darn good powder for accuracy in the 22.250 and the 223, thats for darn sure.

Do you find that the accuracy in it increases with higher charge weights? I admit to going over book max with some of the bullet weights, but the groups get smaller.. in multiple bolt action 223s...

Its at least better in my application than Varget. I don't have my data book on me and the last time I worked on different loads for my AR was eons ago. I also load TAC and I would say that is better than Varget as well.

Varget just shot OK but it didn't meter consitently for me and I'll admit, I'm lazy and I like to throw must of my charges these days.

I think it was under max load, I want to say 22gr of H322 produced the best accuracy.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You'll do no better than '15 in the 22-250.

I throw everything................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H322 was originally based on military IMR 8208 powder. Most of you know how good a reputation that powder had. The commercial version of H322 is still very close to the original 8208. I have not yet tested the new 8208 XBR to see how close it is to the original 8208 or H322 (but I here it is slightly different).

In any case, I don't think there are many powders that would beat it by much of a margin in any of the common 22 caliber cartridges.

Doc B
Amarillo, TX

For the best handloading listserve on the internet, try

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/handloading/info
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire & RockyRaab: Seafire, Seafire, Seafire.... RockyRaab, RockyRaab, RockyRaab..... aaaagggghhhh!
My head is spinning around like the scene from the movie "Exorcist"!
You two recommend the use of inherently dangerous squib loads in Rifles using powders that the MANUFACTURERS do NOT recommend and NOW you state that a powder that the MANUFACTURER does recommend, is somehow unsafe!
What are you two thinking?
Where are your heads at?
I have quadruple checked and H 335 is a safe and recommended powder for 223's!
I know a small army of 223 shooters who use H 335 and have done so for decades.
In addition "I" have used it for decades in a LARGE number of 223's and I have as yet to notice any detrimental (let alone unsafe!) aspect of its use.
I currently own and am reloading for and shooting 11 (eleven) firearms in caliber 223 Remington. Of those 11 (eleven) firearms 6 (six) of them PREFER H 335 powder (for top accuracy).
I checked just some of my reloading manuals by Hodgdon, Nosler, Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Ken Waters and P.O. Ackley and they ALL publish/recommend using H 335 in the 223 Remington.
I am simply at a loss to explain/give creedence to your contentions.
Perhaps I am missing something - do you guys HOT LOAD your 223's with the H 335 powder to begin with, THEN on an extremely hot day after leaving your ammo cooking in the sun have you experienced your H 335 troubles?
I again have been using H 335 in the 223 Remington very successfully now for going on 47 years.
Maybe this quote from Hodgdon's Data Manual Number 26, First Printing 1992, page #11 regarding H 335 powder will sway your contentions?

Quote: "H 335 - This powder is what the military uses for loading the 223 or 5.56 NATO. Bruce and J. B. Hodgdon find it to be their powder of choice for their 222 and 223 prairie dog guns. One of these guns is J.B.'s custom XP100 in 223 that shoots one hole groups with this powder."

Hmmm.... the military, both the Hodgdons, Ken Waters, P.O. Ackley, Nosler, Hornady, Speer, Nosler and certainly countless others recommend H 335 powder for the 223 Remington and you two condemn it - yet condone and profess the use of "squib loads" in Rifles?
The Hodgdon folks recommend H 335 powder for bullets weighing FROM 35 grains TO 80 grains in the 223 Remington - so I would deduce that the H 335 powder is "well suited" for just about ANY bullet in the 223.
Again my head is spinning simply trying to figure where you two are coming from.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A whole bunch of powders work fine in the 223. The H322 I used was called T-32, actually a little faster lot but essentially the same stuff. It shot really well with 50's in 3 different rifles but wasn't particularly fast. After several years I started using AA2015 which gives much better velocity with 40's and 50's, and even better accuracy in my rifles. But VV133 is even faster and more accurate.....again, that's in my rifles.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well VG...

I've posted a zillion times, that I think it is hard to find a powder that DOESN"T work well in the 223, than one that is better.

All I know, is I have two rounds blow the gun up, and the charge was a real bread and butter 223 load... 25 grains of H335 with a 55 grain bullet...

First time, I was surprised... second time, I just said, I don't need to use it again, with all the alternatives out there...

my "squibb" loads, as you call them, have never ever blown up any one of my rifles...and have worked just fine for thousands upon thousands of rounds..

H 335 does work well for many folks.. but after the same load,( from different lot numbers) screwed up an action twice... I can easily look at a couple zillion alternatives and never have to look back.

Not knocking anyone who is using it...just my experiences made me decide to use anything but H 335 anymore..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

My head is spinning around like the scene from the movie "Exorcist"!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Of this...I have no doubt....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's great for a sig line..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire: You are avoiding my central point and that is OK in a way, BUT, let me ask YOU directly - how can you recommend loads that even the powder manufacturers won't recommend and then turn around and denounce loads that the manufacturer, the military and virtually every reloading manual does recommend?
Are you saying everyone should throw away their loading manuals and strike off into the unknown and make up loads on our own?
I think that direction is/would be dangerous and irresponsible.
It is my prayer for the New Year that you quit the foolish and dangerous practice of handloading unrecommended squib loads in your Rifles - and I pray that if you continue this foolish and senseless practice that you do not hurt yourself or someone shooting alongside you!
Its simply dangerous and senseless.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

It is my prayer for the New Year that you quit the foolish and dangerous practice of handloading ....
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

This is some good schitt......

You can't make this stuff up! laugh

Prayers sent Seafire.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VG:
You're wrong about any of the loads in question being "squib" loads. They have plenty of poop and move right smartly out of the end of the barrel, with good effect at the target -- actually, accuracy of the first order.
And I will further back the decision not to use 335. Yes, it meters fine, yes it shoots fine, but I have had my own "mysteries" with it and trust it less than, say, H4895. But that's a personal opinion.
Other than that, lots of good information here. I have to laugh at how underrated 322 happens to be. It's a fine, smooth-metering powder that should be in every 22 shooters powder stash.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
VG:
You're wrong about any of the loads in question being "squib" loads. They have plenty of poop and move right smartly out of the end of the barrel, with good effect at the target -- actually, accuracy of the first order.
And I will further back the decision not to use 335. Yes, it meters fine, yes it shoots fine, but I have had my own "mysteries" with it and trust it less than, say, H4895. But that's a personal opinion.
Other than that, lots of good information here. I have to laugh at how underrated 322 happens to be. It's a fine, smooth-metering powder that should be in every 22 shooters powder stash.

I've also had some strange pressure things happen with 335. Lot to lot variation and temp. sensitivity made me stop using it in a 17MachIV a long time ago. I've used it a little in a .223 and it worked ok, but still I don't trust it. Doesn't matter, there's other stuff that works just as well or better.

One friend on here spent a lot of time with blue dot in the 223. Although VG would call them "squib" loads, they're anything but.....VG is much too enamored with the sound of his own keyboard.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have shot way more H-335 than anything else in my .223s. I have recently been playing with H-322, which has worked well, X-Terminator, whixch has also worked well and TAC. So far, though, while coming close, nothing has worked better than H-335 for speed and accuracy. W-748 can be as accurate, but velocities lower with most bullet weights that I use.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seafire: You are avoiding my central point and that is OK in a way, BUT, let me ask YOU directly - how can you recommend loads that even the powder manufacturers won't recommend and then turn around and denounce loads that the manufacturer, the military and virtually every reloading manual does recommend?Because I have found loads that work quite well for me, and others have found the same thing, and as far as not wanting to use loads or a powder that Uncle Sam, and load manuals, etc have used...we'll have two kabooms that cased an action to need repair and a stock to be extensively repaired... I'd say that was reason enough to steer clear on it...

Are you saying everyone should throw away their loading manuals and strike off into the unknown and make up loads on our own? Not saying that at all.. Its everyone's personal choice and the results are their personal responsibility. if the individual needs someone to blame when he screws up, then strict adherence to ONLY what is in a load manual is probably a safer route. Not that I am in their league, but guys like Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor nor Townsend Whelen didn't gain fame by adhering to what was in the latest Nosler, Hornady, Hodgdon, Sierra, etc manual. They branched out, reported what they thought other shooters might be interested in.. we share ideas together on this forum.. some may work for each of us personally and some may not. I personally use what works for me after developing and working up a load, for a particular use.

I think that direction is/would be dangerous and irresponsible.
It is my prayer for the New Year that you quit the foolish and dangerous practice of handloading unrecommended squib loads in your Rifles - and I pray that if you continue this foolish and senseless practice that you do not hurt yourself or someone shooting alongside you!
Its simply dangerous and senseless. I can appreciate your sentiments about being safe...all reloading is dangerous, as far as experimenting and finding out what works is not irresponsible, in my opinion. IN my experimenting, I have frequently gone to where a load starts to have pressure issues.. I note the point that they started, and to the point just before, where there were no pressure issues. That is why when I share info, I include a point I advise folks not to go past. Heck, I have spoken with Sierra's tech line.. and they still judge a load as being safe, not by any pressure testing equipment but by measuring the diameter of the case at the web, and comparing it to new specs. So would you trust their data, knowing that is how they devise it as being safe or not??
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Seafire..you are too nice to this troll wannabe...

More prayers sent.... grin

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

711 members (16gage, 160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,152
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.