Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Who has one? Does it perform as advertised? The video sure makes it look impressive, but before I drop 8 and a half on one, I'd sure like to hear from one of you guys whose actually tried one. Thanks, Dave

Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they want a war let it begin here.

Captain John Parker, commander of the militiamen at Lexington, Massachusetts, on sighting British Troops (attributed), April 19, 1775
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I guess from the overwhelming lack of responses they are either, A) the biggest POS ever invented, or B) nobody here has tried one, or C) I forgot my deodorant. Dave

Captain John Parker, commander of the militiamen at Lexington, Massachusetts, on sighting British Troops (attributed), April 19, 1775
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I cannot imagine spending that kind of money on any Burris product...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
When I see that lard ass Steve West on Steve's Hunting Adventures with one it turns me off.

Last edited by JGRaider; 12/14/10.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Randy Wakeman did a review on the Eliminator that was pretty good. Chuck Hawks reviewed another scope/rangefinder combo and concluded that he would start using this category of products from then on. FWIW...

I have had good experiences with Burris high end products and their CS. They are good guys.

Michel
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WestOfPecos
Randy Wakeman did a review on the Eliminator that was pretty good. Chuck Hawks reviewed another scope/rangefinder combo and concluded that he would start using this category of products from then on. FWIW...

I have had good experiences with Burris high end products and their CS. They are good guys.

Agreed on both counts.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Guys,
I've had pretty good luck with Burris so far, it looks like a neat concept, IF it works. Anybody tried one? Thanks, Dave.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just get a real scope, and a real rangefinder...

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by DaveDaDeerslayer
Thanks Guys,
I've had pretty good luck with Burris so far, it looks like a neat concept, IF it works. Anybody tried one? Thanks, Dave.

Do not have any idea about legalities where you live. But around here, attaching any electronic device to your hunting rifle will get you arrested.

So......no, not much demand for such a device with the hunters I know.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Those scopes seem like something you'll see in Natchez in 2 years for $300...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Gotta admit, the concept is kinda cool, but the execution is totally gay. I think the guys baffled by spinning turrets will be the ones who buy into this.

Talked to a guy the other day who is planning on buying a Gunwerks gun all dialed in for him. (Cha-Ching!) I told him I would do the same thing for him if he bought all the stuff. He started talking about the Burris being the only way to go if you weren't going with the Huskemaw. I will put $100 on the fact that this guy will shoot a half box of ammo or less and head out to take deer at 1,000 yards.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I tested an Eliminator and wrote it up in AMERICAN RIFLEMAN. It works, even when shooting at uphill and downhill angles.

The biggest problem in the Eliminator right now is the 500-yard limitation, but I suspect that will change. The weight also isn't exactly light, but that shouldn't bother anybody used to shooting 3-15x Nightforces or anything like that.

In a few years the techology will evolve to the point where the scope will do all the stuff turrrt-twirlers do today with several electronic tools--and turret twirlers will be really pissed off because their "traditional" tools and techniques are obsolete.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are right I will be pissed. Not because my normal way of shooting long range is obsolete, but because it is a shortcut that will allow people to get good enough to make long-range hits. Right now if you have practiced enough to make long-range hits, you are more than likely good enough to know when not to shoot. Without all of the trigger time and dedication the scenarios that only exist in the imaginations of anti lrhs will be a reality. Maybe I underestimate people but doubt it.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
By chance, I just happened on this from David Petzal:

"Burris Eliminator Rangefinding/Range Compensating scope. I took it to Montana, and in bitter cold it did just what it was supposed to, putting a little amber dot on an old whitetail buck at 329 yards. The bullet went exactly where it should have, and the 8-pointer went down so hard he bounced."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I tested an Eliminator and wrote it up in AMERICAN RIFLEMAN. It works, even when shooting at uphill and downhill angles.

The biggest problem in the Eliminator right now is the 500-yard limitation, but I suspect that will change. The weight also isn't exactly light, but that shouldn't bother anybody used to shooting 3-15x Nightforces or anything like that.

In a few years the techology will evolve to the point where the scope will do all the stuff turrrt-twirlers do today with several electronic tools--and turret twirlers will be really pissed off because their "traditional" tools and techniques are obsolete.

Yeah but we're always inundated with stories about packing extra ammo and making sure you can find ammo in the mom and pop places should your luggage get separated. Be prepared for a flood of "how do I remember my scope batteries?" posts..

Me

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks all for your responses;

Mule Deer- I've done quite a bit of research on this but always like to get all info I can before parting with my hard earned wampum. I think I'm gonna pull the the trigger on one of these (pun intended :D) Thanks JB.

To all the naysayers- I find it ironic that you dismiss this new technology out of hand when you haven't tried it yet, while sitting in front of a PC, on an internet that didn't exist for most of us 10-15 years ago. confused
I can almost hear your great grandfather standing by the wood stove of the general store 115 years ago expounding, "that damn new fangled smokeless powder ain't worth spit, I hear tell it'll blow a deer to smithereens, real men shoot guns that smell like rotten eggs, etc. etc. wink

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I don't post here much, but I'll say this; Dave, Ya outta just go ahead and get that Burris and slap it on there, if for no other reason than that I wanna try it out. grin
As for the Burris naysayers, I gotta say too, (and although I'm not a magazine writer, I did spend 19 years of my existance fixing optics from binoculars and NODs to submarine periscopes for our Uncle) they make at LEAST a decent optic. I have an older 1.5 to 4.5, a 2.75 pistol scope and a 3-9X40 Fullfield II that have done at LEAST what I have asked of them, and then some. They are NOT a Nightforce, nor are they priced like it. They are, in my opinion, a good hunting scopeinso far as I've never raised mine up and saw a fogged scope, nor made a shot that wasn't where I intended (or called) while stuck on my 660 or 700.
I've known the "Slayer" for a few years, I've seen him dmn near clean 600 with an M1A and irons more then once, I'll stand for his ability to make long shots without a crutch...
OMC

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

John,
Turrets will never be obsolete in the states which disallow electronic devices mounted on a firearm for hunting.

Those states definitely include Idaho. Hell, we can not even use a scope, or most of the new style muzzle loader rifles, during muzzle loader season.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I tried one 2 years ago. I mounted it on my rifle and everything was cool. Got to my gravel pit where I shoot and it would not give a reading at all. I sent it back to Burris where they said they couldn't get it to fail. I did get a credit which I used on a different scope. I probably should not have even tried it as I live in northern Minnesota and these fail to work below 20 degrees.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
patekatek,

You didn't try an Eliminator. Your tried its predecesor, the Laserscope. And I suspect you just got a defective scope, as
I did my tests with the Eliminator during winter here in Montana, and it worked fine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,240
Posts18,504,551
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.