-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well 2010 deer season came to an end around here on November 30th.

Between a lot of changes at work, and committing to coach my sons hockey team my time has been at a bit of a premium since about the start of October.

3 weeks vacation in November was definatly a well deserved break.

My buddy came up from Texas for a Hunter Host hunt, it's a crying shame he can only come every 3 years, as the time spent with this gentleman is quality time like no other.
He went home with his 4th Alberta buck, in as many trips up here.
He travelled light this time, as he borrowed a friend of mine's rifle, a nice shooting 270WSM, in a SS Rem 700, this rifle digests 140gr. Berger VLD's with zest. A 175 yd shot saw Ken anchor this very respectable Alberta whitetail.
[Linked Image]

Then on the 27th I filled my WT tag with a 320 yd shot with my LH Win. Mod 70 in 270WSM, the 130gr. Accubond found it's mark and performed flawlessly, dropping the buck in it's tracks,
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The biggest treat of this November was watching my son take his first ever deer. He turned 12 on the 18th, and as that age is the legal BG hunting age in Alberta, he simply told his teachers he was going to be absent that day as he was going hunting.

And hunt he did, we got into a field that I'd been seen lots of deer in, and as the daylight pushed back the darkness the danged deer were all some 400 to 500 yds north of our spot. We got up and used a fence line for cover to stalk closer to the deer, as the light improved, and the range lessened we spotted a ridiculously large bodied deer, with a cartoon sized antler set, I mean a 250lb buck and this iddy biddy rack, but that did'nt diminish my son's quest for this deer, he said he's be fine with that for a first deer, so we pressed on closing the range, as the buck dipped behind a knoll we moved in fast, as I knew the deer was heading to the road and the big bush on the other side. We managed to get to within 150yds as the buck came out from behind the knoll, at which time Richie had steadied himself on a fence post, and a low vocal grunt from me froze the deer. Richie squeezed of his shot and as I watched through my binos I saw the deer shudder, and then bolt, alas the deer stumbled and fell some 80 yds later, in a big puff of snow.
The little 7mm-08 NEF single, Richie uses put the 130 gr. Speer BT right where Richie held, through the deers shoulder and destroyed both lungs before exiting right by the off side diaphram.

The amount of pride I felt that day is un describable.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just remember.
You cant have SLAUGHTER,
without LAUGHTER
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Congrats on a great year.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very nice deer. Your son's smile says it all, the deer itself looks like a hog and a half

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on some great hunting. cool cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Great pics! Be sure to tell Richie that that is a way cool deer, shot with an ultra cool rifle. cool My son has been hunting with H&R rifles, since he was 10. He's 28 now. He's killed deer, hogs, bear, and 7 head of african plains game, all with handi rifles or pardner shotguns.

maddog

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Good on ya for taking that young man to kill that nice deer. Your success on the other deer also. It always amazes me on the SIZE of the deer up there, damn they are huge! Congrats to all of you in the pics.

Jack
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Portsider284;
Thanks for sharing your season with us, it was indeed quite a year you had.

Please send congratulations to your son on that fine and very large bodied buck. What a cool first deer! cool

I'll send you a tip of the hat for making sure it all came together for your son. It's always heartening to see the next generation of hunters off to a good start. Well done sir.

Congratulations to you and your friend from Texas on your nice bucks as well.

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming Christmas season.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Sounds like a man who enjoyed his time afield. Congrats to young Richie. Job well done!!

Joseph

Joseph
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Excellent....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Your son and his deer are fantastic, Congrats to him!!!!

You and your friend also.

Kent

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow! Awesome story and awesome pics. The look on your 12-year old's face sums it all up.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow - what a kill by your lad and his single shot in 7-08.

Great shooting there...

CK

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nice buck! I've hunted deer for 20 years and haven't killed one as big as your boys first. way to go!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A year to remember.....Well, I guess! Congrats!
Nice bucks. And I don't think it's possible for the deer the youngster shot to get any chunkier....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations to your son. Some nice looking deer there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

361 members (29aholic, 260Remguy, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 41 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,328
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.