Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
"Astronomers � think trillions of Earths may exist."

And, assuming they are correct, what are the odds another intelligent species, capable of space travel, does exist today?

And if there's even one other planet like ours, what logical reason is there to assume that its denizens (if there are any there) are superior to us?
Knowledge of us.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm in total agreement...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
I'm in total agreement...

Yep, nuclear fission and fusion may be the relative level of rubbing two sticks together

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...rs-think-trillions-of-earths-may-exist/1

And, assuming they are correct, what are the odds another intelligent species, capable of space travel, does exist today?

Given that the universe is billions of years old, and that the life span of any biological species, (let alone one capable of engineering its own destruction) is infinitesimal in comparison.

EX: For what percentage of Earth's history has a mechanized society existed?

Even among trillions of habitable planets, I doubt there is another planet in the universe which holds an industrialized population at this time.

� � what are the odds another intelligent species, ��

You are assuming that there is an intelligent species on earth; I don�t make that assumption.

Also, life forms may exist on other planets, such as microbes, bacteria, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They've found creatures on this Earth that use arsenic instead of phosphorus, copper instead of iron, and dine on poisonous hydrogen sulfide in toxic, acidic, totally dark water.

There are probably creatures out there who's chemistry we can't as yet begin to comprehend.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Contemplate this: What if it were possible to travel physically at the speed of thought?

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is...just bend space time and haul A$$ as fast as you want!!! grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Contemplate this: What if it were possible to travel physically at the speed of thought?

Many of us would get there really late. grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I believe someone in Congress wanted to abolish the Patent Office in the late 1800's because everything had been invented. With super computers we are on the thresh hold of technological accomplishments never dreamed possible. Within a hundred years we will travel to planets in our galaxy & have a colony on the moon to extract precious metals. I simply can't accept the naysayers that say we are alone in the infinite universe. There are so many planets with so many diverse intelligent life forms that in the future statements like we are alone in the universe will be laughed at like the 16th. century statement that the world was flat. There are intelligent life forms that have involved in atmospheres & temperatures we consider inhospitable. The ability for life forms to coexist with extremes exist right here on our planet. Look at the Eskimos & Africans. In my 44 years as an engineer & as a bit of a scientist I have seen technology leap forward in the electrical/electronics field. We are on the thresh hold of unthought of breakthroughs in the energy field. Smaller more efficent nuclear power reactors, solar, wind, geothermal, gasification of coal, & utilization of CO2 as a energy source. Breakthroughs in the field of cryogenics will result in ever smaller faster computers, smaller motors, more efficent power transformers, & smaller generating capacities to serve larger power loads than ever thought possible.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+10 to 100th power...I think this is not only a possibility but probability!! Our science is so infantile compared to the workings of the cosmos it's mighty vain to conclude we have all the answers!!!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

If Gus were to go that fast, he'd have to get down on the ground and belly crawl.. smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Tracks

Many of us would get there really late. grin

Now that was very, very funny!

.....and rather clever.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tbear
I believe someone in Congress wanted to abolish the Patent Office in the late 1800's because everything had been invented. With super computers we are on the thresh hold of technological accomplishments never dreamed possible. Within a hundred years we will travel to planets in our galaxy & have a colony on the moon to extract precious metals. I simply can't accept the naysayers that say we are alone in the infinite universe. There are so many planets with so many diverse intelligent life forms that in the future statements like we are alone in the universe will be laughed at like the 16th. century statement that the world was flat. There are intelligent life forms that have involved in atmospheres & temperatures we consider inhospitable. The ability for life forms to coexist with extremes exist right here on our planet. Look at the Eskimos & Africans. In my 44 years as an engineer & as a bit of a scientist I have seen technology leap forward in the electrical/electronics field. We are on the thresh hold of unthought of breakthroughs in the energy field. Smaller more efficent nuclear power reactors, solar, wind, geothermal, gasification of coal, & utilization of CO2 as a energy source. Breakthroughs in the field of cryogenics will result in ever smaller faster computers, smaller motors, more efficent power transformers, & smaller generating capacities to serve larger power loads than ever thought possible.

It would be nice if we would stop weaponizing every dang thing. The fact is, burgeoning technology is often seen as a threat to those who are in power. Take oil for example, come up with a source that efficiently eliminates the need for oil and those in that industry are left in the dust of history. These old men and huge companies lack the ability to keep up so it is in there best interest to suppress the development of new technologies.

The key to the future is energy. Governments loose power when they loose the ability to limit the supply of energy. I wonder how many things that could be done and aren't because of energy demand and cost. To see how the loss of control effects government look at the internet. They lost much of their ability to control communications, free speech and people knowing what they are up to. That upsets many of them.

The future is built on young people. People who have not had there minds constrained to the box of conventional thought. People who would rather say "Lets find out" than blindly accept that something is impossible.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
" Astronomers..... think trillions of Earths may exist"

I wonder if I'm rich on one of them?

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...rs-think-trillions-of-earths-may-exist/1

EX: For what percentage of Earth's history has a mechanized society existed?

Part of a lecture from a Historic Geology class will give you an idea. If the history of the earth were compressed into a 24 hour period;
the first life wouldn't appear until about 6:00 PM
the dinosaurs died out at about 11:40 PM
the human race has been here for the last 3 seconds before midnight.

Since mechinization is very recent in human history it would be a small portion of the last second before midnight.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Alan, yes. On one of them, you are the richest man alive.

On another, you are a eunuch.

If I were you, I'd stay here.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chris112

Since mechinization is very recent in human history it would be a small portion of the last second before midnight.

Look at it from a different perspective; in the infinitesimally small amount of time man has been on this world, he has gone from making tools out of stone to space travel.

In that context, mans achievements are pretty impressive.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Impressive? YES. But probably quite fleeting.

When will the next extinction event occur? How long before the Yellowstone caldera blows and covers North America in five feet of ash? Or an asteroid the size of a small state impacts the earth and wipes out all traces of our civilization?

10,000 years, 100,000 years?

Just a moment in time geologically speaking!

It would be quite a coincidence if those moments occurred simultaneously in two solar systems.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

In Space Time Travel magazine in in 1998 there was an article by an archeologist Manuel de Anda who has examined a capsule found in the Spanish Pyrenees near Pico de Aneto in 1932.

He mentioned that two generations of linguists now have exposed enough of the cipher to build the scenario. Apparently, this item was jettisoned from the last warring combatants on a planet named 57AI of the Serious solar system.

The war had started in the distant pass and apparently ended in our time about 2500 BC considering the distance the capsule had to travel and the time it lay undiscovered in the mountains. It seemed it started with an argument over the 30-06 vs. the 270. on some electromagnetic media and escalated into full blown war. A colonel Ivilkilu was honest enough to to add in the inscription they were a wholly unpleasant race to begin with.

The last surviving members and the senders of the capsule carried 30-06s. Yea, the 30-06 won.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So that's where it came from!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 25 invisible), 2,104 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,850
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.