Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am looking for a high quality pocket knife for everyday carry and use. I am a rancher so I use my knife daily for a variety of chores. I have a 3-blade Schrade right now but the other day i bent one of the blades cutting a piece of rope. I want something that will take some use. I am thinking of a single blade lockback. Any brand you guys use or recommend or does anyone know who is a good custom maker? Thanks Guys!

If we lose freedom here there is nowhere to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted by Steelhead

who gives a [bleep] about the stuff that goes wrong

Tough to be pissed when God gives you dogs

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For what you mention, a Buck 110 or 112 is hard to beat. Also a Schrade LB7 if you can find one made in the USA. These knives have stood the test of time.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Queen lock back with D-2.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Benchmade Griptilian

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Spyderco Gayle Bradley- One hell of a production knife.With some Fantastic steel M-4.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 308scout
I am looking for a high quality pocket knife for everyday carry and use. I am a rancher so I use my knife daily for a variety of chores. I have a 3-blade Schrade right now but the other day i bent one of the blades cutting a piece of rope. I want something that will take some use. I am thinking of a single blade lockback. Any brand you guys use or recommend or does anyone know who is a good custom maker? Thanks Guys!

A true pocketknife,or a folder on a belt/clip?...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Great Eastern makes outstanding traditional folders and offers single-blade lockers too. They predominantly use 1095 treated to a high enough hardness that corrosion doesn't occur as quickly as with the old, American made, Schrade Old Timer line (I don't mean that as a knock: I like the carbon steel Old Timers). They have several finish levels and have made some harder to find knives in 440C, and even some in 420HC for Cripple Creek.

Great Eastern knives have fit and finish that are hard to beat in a factory pocketknife and their backsprings are stout enough that they make good work knifes.

Best of luck in your search.

Tony

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a farmer/rancher I can't think of a better EDC than a Swiss
Tool on your belt. Get one with the leather sheath and it even looks good.
The Swiss Tool has easy opening/closing/locking blades that you don't have to open the whole tool to use and built to last.
I like to have two blades. One for the abusive stuff and one for less abusive cutting, to baby so to speak.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Buck 110 is a tough, well made knife that is made in the USA. It is also very affordable. You might also check out the line of knives offered by Moore Maker. They are also made in the USA and are very popular with farmers and ranchers.

μολὼν λαβέ
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have carried Sypderco Natives for about the past ten years, they are hard to beat, a nice heavy blade, comfortable in your pocket and handy for opening up cold beverages that don't have twist off caps.

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mink
For what you mention, a Buck 110 or 112 is hard to beat.
I was thinking the same thing. Very tough folding lock blades. Overbuilt wouldn't be an exaggeration.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As Buck folders go,I'm a Duke Slut. Far more useful profile,as it'll easily cape and turn ears,lips,eyes................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick
As Buck folders go,I'm a Duke Slut. Far more useful profile,as it'll easily cape and turn ears,lips,eyes................
Just Googled it. I can definitely see why it would be a superior pattern. Less pointy with a bit of a rise over the point. Sort of like a spear point or drop point.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They pack nice in the pockert or you can fly the sheath.

Trumps the 110/12 in ugly fashion.................

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yeah, the older Buck lock blades were not comfortable in the pocket. Definitely needed a belt pouch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey scout, you have some great suggestion here. I carry a Fallkniven U2 with the new press steel for every day and dress. If I am outdoors or working I carry a larger Kershaw Gentlemen's Folder in my pocket. It comes with a leather belt sheath, but is thin enough for pocket carry.

I have a folding Buck 110 in the AK Hunter that has a BOS S30V blade that is my backup belt knife for hunting.

FWIW, the best working belt pocket knife for me may be a Stanley from the local hardware store. I picked up several of these a few years back from SMKW's for under $20. They are still tight and have German steel blades. I can't find them now, but if you can find one, they are outstanding. Good luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Granted the Buck 500 is a nice blade. Should be able to find NOS one on Ebay for about what you would pay for a plastic folder now a days.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buck has slipped pretty bad,as of late..................

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Last Buck I bought was in the 1980s, i.e., a 112.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Big Stick, you clearly know your stuff with knives. I have a question for you that I haven't been able to find info on. About the same time I bought the 112 I bought a Buck 119. It was a very special knife, in that it was advertised as having a perpetual edge that never required sharpening. Never used it, so don't know how true that is, but haven't been able to find word one on this model (sub-model, since the 119 is common and obviously well-known) on the internet. You ever hear of it. It has a chisel grind micro bevel and the steel looks gray. No coat. That's just the color of the steel. Any info?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (338Rules, AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 907brass, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,311 guests, and 705 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,941
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.