Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Pet Loads is my favorite reloading reference too and I have several as well. I enjoy his writing with anecdotal information, personal experience, and the travails of getting a rifle to shoot properly. I guess some of the newer whizbangs aren't covered but for the most part I am not interested in them anyway. PH

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't seen Ken in years and haven't talked with him in almost as long. Probably won't, ever again, considering his age and condition in Connecticut and mine 'way out here. frown

I'm pleased to see that he's still held in the high regard that he's earned and not subjected to any of the same kind of cheap calumnies that small, spiteful minds love to level at prominent old writers.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

When I lived in Alaska I had a 375 H&H with a 24" barrel that I could not get up to speed with 3 different powders. IMR-4350 I couldn't even get enough in the case to make a 270 grain run as fasts as a 300 grainers advertised speed.
I bought a copy of Ken Waters Pet Loads and the Powder that he used that got the highest velocity was W-760. I tried 760 and low and behold I was able to get this rifle to run at advertised velocity

Ken was no dummy that is for sure and for certain

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pet Loads was always a great pleasure to read, and I still refer to it every now & then.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Haven't seen Ken in years and haven't talked with him in almost as long. Probably won't, ever again, considering his age and condition in Connecticut and mine 'way out here. frown

I'm pleased to see that he's still held in the high regard that he's earned and not subjected to any of the same kind of cheap calumnies that small, spiteful minds love to level at prominent old writers.

I've read everything I could by Ken Waters and I did learn. I occasionally differed with some of his conclusions, but I admired his painstaking methodology. He lacked modern pressure equipment (it was a lot more expensive then), but he methodically worked up loads and his description and history of cartridges was superb. I always wished someone could have put a USB cable into his mind and download his knowledge.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
USB cable?

My ol' friend Ken would never think of owning or using a computer and wouldn't understand your reference.

It's something of a puzzle and a miracle that he uses smokeless powders.

He might fly if airliners ran on coal-fired steam.

(You think I'm kidding? I speak known specifics.)

"Good enough" isn't.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Well said.......

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A couple years ago, I had a friend who was having a hard time finding a certain powder on the shelves. I had a few extra pounds, so I met him at a halfway point to give them to him. He wouldn't hear of not paying me, and then pulled out a copy of "Pet Loads" to give me, said he had an extra copy!!

I haven't read all of it, but I'm working my way through. What's that quote about standing on someone's shoulders?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always find myself reading Pet Loads, even about cartridges I don't own nor probably ever will. Every loader should own this book, it's a great source of knowledge and information.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I kind of think that a large number of these writers really have only average ability. There are magazines like Shooting Times, Guns and Ammo and such that are basically good enough to line the bird cage. Handloader is better, Presicion Shooter better than that.

Then I think that if some of these guys wrote an article with what they know and put it in front of an editor, that editor might just say "Too long, will fly over the head of our readers, dumb it down."

I think the internet has rendered these magazines obsolete. Much can be learned from sights, and reloading forums. One simply has to be careful in validating anything they read.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Plateau Hunter
Pet Loads is my favorite reloading reference too and I have several as well. I enjoy his writing with anecdotal information, personal experience, and the travails of getting a rifle to shoot properly. I guess some of the newer whizbangs aren't covered but for the most part I am not interested in them anyway. PH

+1 on the reference and +1 on the boring new whizbangs.

I have been reloading since 1968 and have the entire archive of Handloader Magazine. It is uncanny, but in nearly all my rifles, I've found MY maximum loads to be almost exactly midway between those of Waters and Hagel.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Whenever I consider getting a new rifle in a cartidge I don't have, I read and see what Ken Waters did with the round in his load work up. Got expensive a time or two but I have some nice rifles in calibers I never would have gotten otherwise.
Mr. Waters once wrote about something and was unable to find the reference. I came across it, the reference from my library and made him a copy. The very nice thank you letter i received proved exactly one thing to me. Mr. Waters is a gentleman of the highest order. Oh yeah, if Don Martin is lurking, his article on the .358 got my curiosity up. Now I have 5 rifles for that cartridge. HIs article on the .280 Remington convinced me I should have one Like I say, he cost me money and I'm not complaining one darn bit.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've spent quite a bit of time reading through Pet Loads and it's a good source of information, although I find his loadings to be a bit on the conservative side. (understandable)

My main complaint is that he uses lever action 30-30's with 24" barrels and even bolt action 30-30's for much of his data.

The vast majority of 30-30 ammo is fired through lever action carbines with 20" barrels and the velocity data for the bolt rifles and 24" lever actions doesn't translate to the 20" barrels very well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, indeed. "Much can be learned from sights" on any number of Internet sites.

And some of it may be right. ("rite?" "write?" "wright?")

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
USB cable?

My ol' friend Ken would never think of owning or using a computer and wouldn't understand your reference.

It's something of a puzzle and a miracle that he uses smokeless powders.

He might fly if airliners ran on coal-fired steam.

(You think I'm kidding? I speak known specifics.)

Yep. I got a letter from him discussing the .32-40 about 10-12 years ago, and from the paper impressions it was clearly a typed letter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie john
� Waters should abbreviate and he should not spell out numbers over nine. "180 gr. bullets" is far easier to read than "one-hundred-eighty-grain bullets," and "2,554 fps" is easier than "two thousand five hundred fifty four feet per second," especially when one sentence uses several of these figures. �

Don't blame him.

Blame me.

Darn I always figured he was paid by the word, and spelled out stuff for that reason grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
� I always figured he was paid by the word, and spelled out stuff for that reason grin

No, he was paid a flat rate per article � never as much as he should've been paid � no matter how many words it took to tell the whole story. $125 or $150, IIRC � on publication, although it was customary at the time to pay writers on acceptance.

Article-writers don't get paid by the word, anyway. I don't recall ever having had to trim any of Ken's manuscripts for any reason.

I pled hard for several years to get that rate raised to fair and equitable, but the boss preferred to exploit our writers' loyalty. I was finally able to persuade him to raise it a little, from criminal to merely insulting, and even that (I think) slipped back a notch or two when I left. At any rate, Ken would never have made a lot of money, even if he'd been paid by the word.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, indeed. "Much can be learned from sights" on any number of Internet sites.

And some of it may be right. ("rite?" "write?" "wright?")

Well, that's the point, you can't just take someones word. That is the way we all learn. I mean, I'm sure they don't teach ballistics in journalism schools.

To say, "I'm a journalist and therefore and expert" does not qualify the expert status. After all, Katie Couric and Babara Walters are also journalists

Last edited by crosshair; 12/13/10.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crosshair
� Katie Couric and Barbara Walters are also journalists.

Watch yo' filthy mouf!

"Good enough" isn't.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
'No, he was paid a flat rate per article � never as much as he should've been paid � no matter how many words it took to tell the whole story. $125 or $150, IIRC � on publication, although it was customary at the time to pay writers on acceptance.'

That was pretty much criminal considering the time and effort it took to load, shoot, and write those pieces with such meticulous detail and thoroughness. Did he have to purchase the brass, bullets, powder and other supplies and accessories? Looks like he was losing money doing those Pet Loads columns. Oh I am sure it was pretty much a labor of love but jeez he ought to have made something for all that effort. Hopefully he gets a bit from sales of Pet Loads. PH

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, anothergun, 9 invisible), 872 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,115
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.