Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
CZ550 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Or, is that a myth?

I hear complaints about this frequently on several forums.

What is your take on it?

I'm no "Macho Man" by any stretch... Out of the shower, I'm 177 to 180 lbs and 5'-9" (no socks or shoes). I've short legs with a longish, somewhat stockily-built body. But I'll be 75 in a couple of weeks and have lost 30 lbs in the last 15 years... which is nice since I have diabetes.

BUT, I also shoot some heavy "artillery"... in fact, mostly that.

What's your experience?

Let me preface this by saying I've written some "wordy" pieces on the psychology and physical aspects of managing recoil from the "heavies". Like to hear from the rest of you.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well, Bob. I don't see how big and strong has anything to do with it. Dealing with recoil is mainly due to technique and mental preparedness.

Hasn't everyone seen the youtube vids of various fools bracing themselves to shoot a 375? that's poor technique and the shooter will be rightly pummeled for shooting like that. Afterall, it's not you vs the gun - it's you and the gun working together. Therefore, technique becomes critical.

Last edited by JS_LaCourse; 12/13/10.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
The recoil of some of the medium big bores, such as the .375 H&H Magnum isn't nearly as bad as many expect.

I know guys that are afraid to shoot my Win M70 375 H&H, even though they don't have any problem spending a day shooting their 12 gauge shotguns out in the field.

Just for example;

A 9 pound 375 H&H shooting a 270 GR bullet generates 36 pounds of recoil.

A 7.5 pound 12 gauge shotgun shooting a 2 3/4" mild field load of 1 1/4 ounces generates 32 pounds of recoil.

Not much of a difference between the two.

A heavy shotgun load, such as a 3" 1 5/8 ounce shell generates almost 53 pounds of recoil, which is almost identical to a .416 Rem Mag shooting a 400 GR bullet (52.9 pounds of recoil).

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
Little Fern was a marksman with her lightweight 375H&H killing bears back at age 9. By the time she was 10, it was routine for her to out shooting most full grown men she encountered while sighting in at hunting camps. Her mastering the recoil of a lightweight 375H&H was not a result of her tiny size, just as the size and weight advantage of the full grown men was not a factor in their inability to match Fern's skill level. Fern's marksmanship was a result of proper training and precise execution of sound technique.

I seem to recall Shoemaker's daughter, Tia, being an expert for using the 416 Remington Magnum for hunting Alaska big game. I'd imagine she'd also give many a run for their money when it comes to capabilities with a big bore rifle.

Best:)

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I think form and concentration are the keys to managing recoil, weight on forward leg and using Your abs as a shock absorber to roll w/ recoil works for me.

I get in a hurry sometimes shooting lighter rifles 300, 338, 375, mags and catch myself in a flinch I immediatley stop and go fire a couple of 577 NE's or a 400gn charge from an 8-bore BP rifle.

Those get my mind right, [slow down concentrate]

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Elmer Keith was no monster. He was rather middle sized, and handled the true big bores without a problem.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by CZ550
Or, is that a myth?

I hear complaints about this frequently on several forums.

What is your take on it?

I'm no "Macho Man" by any stretch... Out of the shower, I'm 177 to 180 lbs and 5'-9" (no socks or shoes). I've short legs with a longish, somewhat stockily-built body. But I'll be 75 in a couple of weeks and have lost 30 lbs in the last 15 years... which is nice since I have diabetes.

BUT, I also shoot some heavy "artillery"... in fact, mostly that.

What's your experience?

Let me preface this by saying I've written some "wordy" pieces on the psychology and physical aspects of managing recoil from the "heavies". Like to hear from the rest of you.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Bob,
I believe that strength has little to do with it. Recoil management is a state of mind where you apply self discipline. I have shot 5 shot groups around the half inch mark with my .460 Weatherby and have shot gongs on a public range in Wyoming at the 300 yard mark with consistency as well as shot in front on groups of people over a lot of years.

Irrespective of the cartridge and load chosen, you have to apply a mindset of concentration in what you are there for, so that recoil is moved further down the line of concern. I personally do not like muzzle blast way before actual recoil.

John Woods

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
IMO, being fit & flexible matters more than size in terms of recoil tolerance. 'Tis much less punishing to be fit and be able to "move" under recoil than to be huge / stiff and absorb the full blow with your body.

YMMV.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I agree and in my opinion 'muzzle blast', and not 'recoil', is the enemy.

I don't have a problem with recoil, and none of my rifles have a muzzle brake or any type of porting system installed.

A little extra recoil is better (in my opinion) than additional muzzle blast.

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
OFG, dang right, my shoulders are alot stronger than my ears.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Seems to me the BIG BOYS (300 pounders+) take a beating, not able, perhaps to roll with the punch. Slight built folk are in motion after ignition and become a little displaced, my wife takes a step backward but is not brused...The big boys, unless they are all beef, soak up all of the recoil.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always wondered why folks think that smaller people take recoil better than larger ones. If that was true the featherweight boxers should be able to beat the heavyweights. Maybe it's just that us lighterweight have learned to deal with recoil.
You should see my 110# daughter shoot a 600 Overkill. She simply rolls with it and takes a few quick steps backwards

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely no correlation. There are big guys that can't handle a 30-06, and people barely breaking into the triple digits that handle the big guns in stride.

I've found all that's required is a desire to shoot the big gun, a gun that is properly sized to the shooter, good form, and when you can no longer concentrate on shooting the gun, stop shooting it for the day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my personal experience big guys complain a lot more about recoil than little guys. I have a theory that they soak up more than the little guys do.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe it is commitment, not size or strength. You have to have plan for learning to deal with it, and a desire to learn as you go.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Interesting points Men, I have witnessed from one extreme to the other regarding body weight.

Little Frank is a wrangler friend of mine and @ 140lbs. he's tough as a boot heel, solid no fat. And another friend who is a mgr. for a large hotel chain, Big Darren tips the scales @450lbs.

Each of these men fired my 577NE w/750gn. woodies @2070fps. That big rifle rocked the hell outta Frank, but he recovered quick and was ready to go again if need be. Darren on the other hand was noticeably more affected by the recoil, I tried not to laugh, but that rifle looked like it was gonna kick a hole thru him.

LSS, I agree w/UL, physical conditioning and concentration plays a major role in shooting the big bores effectivly.

FWIW neither man wanted to fire the 8-bore w/a full 400gn. charge of 2F BP. That fire breathing beast is a sight to behold

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What's a "true" big bore - to you?

I am really only truly familiar with one "big-bore". I find it hilarious that so many are afraid of the 375 H&H.

Before I got mine - based on what I'd heard and read, I seriously wondered if I was up to it too. I wondered if I was biting off more than I could chew.

Then I discovered the truth. It recoils about the same as my 12 gauge shotgun with stiff waterfowl loads - loads I shoot all day long when out after ducks and geese.

And - my 375 H&H - weighs only 7 lbs naked - it's a Sako 85.

I'm sure it can bother some people - especially with a poorly fitting rifle. But I'd rather shoot my 375 H&H Sako, than my 30-06 Remington 760 or my Browning A-Bolt 7mm STW any day of the week.

In a well designed rifle - the 375 H&H Magnum feels just like most of my shotgun field loads. It's totally over-rated when it comes to recoil.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say from personal experience that when you start moving a 500gr or heavier bullet over say 2100-2200 fps, that you've moved into a different level of recoil. I've gone through two boxes of 350 gr @ 2500 fps out of the lott in a shooting session, and it was no big deal. But with the full power 500 gr loads, 10 shots was my limit. It takes a serious level of concentration to squeeze off those rounds, especially off the bench.

C
CZ550 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I'd say from personal experience that when you start moving a 500gr or heavier bullet over say 2100-2200 fps, that you've moved into a different level of recoil. I've gone through two boxes of 350 gr @ 2500 fps out of the lott in a shooting session, and it was no big deal. But with the full power 500 gr loads, 10 shots was my limit. It takes a serious level of concentration to squeeze off those rounds, especially off the bench.

Good responses, all...

And, I'd have to agree with 458 Lott.

One of the things that sparked this question are statements like I just read today to this effect: "I'm 6"-5" and 285 lbs, so I don't think recoil from (said rifle)will trouble me".

And I agree with all who have said, in so many words, that weight and strength (and, I'd add age, within reason, if one is in reasonably fit condition)are not the main factors, while learning technique and mental discipline are.

I'm looking forward to hearing from more of you.

And, incidentally, I've referred to the .375's (magnums) as "Medium Big Bores".

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 12/13/10.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got some big kickers. Guns that don't give a 'healthy shove'...but rather simply knock the crap out of ya'. Hard and fast. Specifically the .340, .378, .416, and .460 Weatherby's. To be honest, I don't shoulder these guns any differently than I do my smaller caliber centerfires. I don't think any differently than when shooting smaller bores either. The recoil is gonna happen...I'm not scared of it. I just go with it. Kinda like comparing shooting my .454 SRH with my S&W 617...I don't hold em' any different and I don't think any different. I just concentrate on trigger squeeze and sight picture, and when the gun fires and the recoil happens, I just go with it.
Seeing 'dots and glitches and [bleep]' afterwards is just part of it.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 44 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,859
Posts18,478,555
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.