Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, sandblasting places.... 50 pounds of corn cob( I never did like walnut) was often well under 20 bucks. 50 pounds is bulky.. goes a long way too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Of course I could add, I never saw the need to polish all the brass all the time. Shot "dirty" brass in competition so many times before polishing and won so much stuff.. figured it wasn't anything but cosmetic.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Too expensive for my taste. So is a tumbler for that matter. I've been reloading for 30 years and have yet to find a need to tumble other than just being pretty.

Funny you mention that, I've gotten to the point where I just run a brush through the neck and wipe 'em off.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too expensive for my taste. So is a tumbler for that matter. I've been reloading for 30 years and have yet to find a need to tumble other than just being pretty.

Dirty brass wears out your dies, and cleaning brass by hand takes a long time. I was stubborn for over a decade thinking a tumbler was an extravagance. Then I got one, and wondered why I was so stubborn.

If you place any value on your time, or your dies, then a tumbler is a must have.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use walnut for military brass ( removes the anneal discolorations )
And corn cob for pistol cases.
I've used several tumblers at work but I finally broke down and bought the Franklin Arsenal kit from Midway.
And love it.
My son uses it as well

It's run 4-8 days a month and it's held up well for over a year.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nah, I hope that the price of walnut media skyrockets so that my walnut media stock flourishes. T'ell with anyone who might be adversely affected by that - they should be smart like me and load up on walnut media stock. wink smirk frown

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Dirty brass wears out your dies, and cleaning brass by hand takes a long time. I was stubborn for over a decade thinking a tumbler was an extravagance. Then I got one, and wondered why I was so stubborn.

If you place any value on your time, or your dies, then a tumbler is a must have.

Well lets just say that for about 14 years, I loaded between appx 14-20K rounds of 223 a year. Still using the same Redding die for sizing that I started with and probably 10% of that was tumbled. Must take one hell of a lot of rounds of untumbled brass to wear one out. Heck I figure if I wear a die out in 100K sizings.... I could afford to buy another.

Of course part of our problem was time... having to load 400-600 rounds at a time, sometimes with only a few days between firing and loading.... tumbling didn't do anything but burn time.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

Clean brass gives me clean dies and no scratches. I also shoot some low power pistol loads that are accurate but smoke the case.

Last edited by MT Gianni; 12/13/10.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
smoking the case hurts accuracy? Grins..

Lets just say that one of the deals with dirty brass, was nationals, Camp Perry, against the military shooters and civilians and dirty brass was the only one to shoot a perfect 200 on the 600 yard line that day. Certainly didn't affect that score or my dies.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
This is a closley guarded family secret but i will share it with a few of you since it is so close to Christmas. the best media i have found is light test weight WHEAT or BARLEY. Put some polish in, run the tumbler a while & clean brass.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Thanxs for the link, we use two large "Shell" blasters in our work place - and all the crushed walnut-shell media just goes through the exhaust Roto-Clones.

I see they sell a 50# bag for $22.79 ... I'll see how that compares to the price we currently pay for the product from our 'Industry' suppliers - who generally charge at least 'double' than anyone else.

If that turns out to be a bargain, we'll probably order at least 20 bags to start with.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

444 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,816
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.