Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would love to shoot numerous wolves.

270 Win and 140 AB's should open them sons a bitches right up!

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I could see the .257 Rbts with 100 gr. softpoints being just the ticket for wolves!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Shot a few with my .243, one with my 06.
My buddies killed lots with a 12 guage.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
A buddy up in Alaska uses a .223 with 55 FMJ's. This is to minimize pelt damage. His yearly count runs around 25-30.

Bigwhoop - just out of curiosity, is there a market for wolf or coyote pelts anymore?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I got mine with a 7-08 and the 120gr B-Tip. I hadn't ever seen one in the wild until that day. I've heard lots, just never seen one. There were a bunch of them on a moose kill when I rolled over the crest of a hill. My buddy really wanted to take one, but couldn't find it in his optics. He kept asking 'Where is it!?' so I leaned up on the jeep, BOOOOOM! 'there it is' I said laugh. It made the mistake of stopping on the ridge for a quick look back. Small female. The rest scattered too quick for a shot. Talk about stink too. Nasty.

Exit side. Spine shot around 200 yards.
[Linked Image]

There were lots of wolf tracks in the area. This was one of the larger ones with 7-08 for comparison

[Linked Image]

<B>Make it idiot proof, and some one will make a better idiot</B>
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Monashee
Dwayne,as you know we have no wolf season in Region 8,even though there are lots of them here in the north OK.We have pulled them in with the Foxpro using both deer distress,and wolf howls.I really wish Foxpro would offer a calf moose distress call,I'm sure that would bring them right in!I find wolf tracks on all the local mulie winter ranges now,and I hear them from my porch 2 or 3 times each winter.When one howls every dog and coyote within earshot goes nuts.Hopefully we will have a season on them next year,we are the only Region in BC that doesn't!Cheers,Monashee

yes there is its SSS if you readthe regs they are allowing some just have to take it in for their inspection [age ,sex,health ,ect ]
i was up in 8-13 for 6 days in early nov ,allllll kinds of wolf track on the Kettle,from the main to keffer lake to galloping and south.

grader op said wolves sometimes lead and follow grader at night ,i am presuming to chase whatever is routed by grader noise

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Folks I know in the Yukon like to shoot them with whatever they happen to be holdin at the time.

They also mentioned that a 243 or 25/06 is good for the task.

Seems to be some good advice. A very important detail sometimes overlooked is that the rifle itself is probably more important than the cartridge. Make sure any rifle you use works and works well. And especially that it works when worked vigorously. In my experience a rifle rarely gets worked as fast or hard as it does when a wolf in in sights.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could see a 240 wby just right for wolves. Fast, flat, and long.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Folks I know in the Yukon like to shoot them with whatever they happen to be holdin at the time.

They also mentioned that a 243 or 25/06 is good for the task.

Seems to be some good advice. A very important detail sometimes overlooked is that the rifle itself is probably more important than the cartridge. Make sure any rifle you use works and works well. And especially that it works when worked vigorously. In my experience a rifle rarely gets worked as fast or hard as it does when a wolf in in sights.

I got a very hard lesson about "fast and hard" stuff a couple years ago while hunting moose with my nice old Brno 22f 7x57. It was equipped with double set triggers and a butterknife bolt handle. Trying to work that equipment fast and accurately as 5 wolves ran past at top speed on the ice of a beaver pond was sadly, beyond the capabilities of my excited cold gloved fingers. Missed five shots in a row!
Since then I swapped out the double triggers for a good crisp single trigger, and killed a running buck with the first shot I took with it this fall.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've had more than a few in my sights and never pulled the trigger. I guess, for me, it's a bit of the "dog thing" - that and the fact I've never seen a really spectacular winter pelt.

But, if I ever do decide to start pulling the trigger (and I admit - I'd love an exceptional winter pelt) I think the "perfect" wolf rifle would be a 25-06.

I love the magnum trajectory and the minimal recoil this round combines.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The wolves we have up here are not only big, but very tough as well. I have seen them shot with lighter cal rifles, and carry on never to be seen again. It is amazing how many hits they can soak up, go down, get back up, and keep going.

Personally, I would use nothing smaller than a 243 with 100 gr bullets, but the real ticket is a 270 Win or Wby, with a good 130 gr bullet started out at 3100 to 3400 fps.

Ted

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Most of the above would/does work fine. I favor something that starts out between 2,700 and 2,900 fps. That said, perhaps a 6.5 cal. With it's high ballistic coefficient, a 130 or 140 would be dandy. Set up correctly, 300 to 500 yards becomes very realistic. A 260 rem perhaps? 180 grainer in a 30-06?

Jest thinkin out loud, am I...

bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would use my Savage mod 111 25-06 with home load using a 115gr berger VLD hunting bullet easy to control and very accurate to boot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BCBrian
I've had more than a few in my sights and never pulled the trigger. I guess, for me, it's a bit of the "dog thing" - that and the fact I've never seen a really spectacular winter pelt.

But, if I ever do decide to start pulling the trigger (and I admit - I'd love an exceptional winter pelt) I think the "perfect" wolf rifle would be a 25-06.

if you don't start shooting them there wont be any deer ,WT or Mulie ,and lower pop of ELK,to hunt the Kettle is now full of them

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by norm99

if you don't start shooting them there wont be any deer ,WT or Mulie ,and lower pop of ELK,to hunt the Kettle is now full of them

Don't they get shot on sight in most places. None here, so I don't know. We shoot coyotes like that though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
they reaped havock on Vancouver Island and are doing to well all across BC and Alberta Foothills

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I can remember for a lot of years in Ontario, back in the 50 - 60's where a pair of wolf ears would get you a $50 bounty turned in at Natural Resources. Now they charge you a licence fee, and you can only kill 2 a year.

If there's a $ in it, MNR will figure a way to squeeze it out.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
And yet - Vancouver Island is still FULL of game - and a huge wolf population.

I will never buy into that alarmist thinking on wolves - shared by so many around this fire.

B.C. has always had huge populations of wolves - and B.C.'s considered a mecca for big game hunting the world over.

Go figure!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i have a remington sendero in 6.5-284 and 7mm rem mag , both with krieger barrels. i originally thought the 6.5 but now am leaning to the 7mm. it has a muzzle break.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
And yet - Vancouver Island is still FULL of game - and a huge wolf population.

I heard from a moose guide in Newfoundland (who used to work in the mines in Manitoba) that G&F tried to transplant elk on Vancouver Island several times but they always swam back to the mainland. Maybe wolves were the reason?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.