Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Any general thoughts on these? I saw one in a local shop and it looked like a slick little rifle.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
they are a slick rifle. the remington 121 was the improved model. everybody drools over the winchester 61 I have one of those too. If you buy the remington model 12 shoot standard velocity ammo thru it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Rem 12s are awesome, bummer they are so expensive, a bit of a pain to disassemble, and the tang sights are neigh impossible to find.

Still, if its in nice shape you might want to consider it. Just be sure to bone up on Remington date codes--they are all C&R but its nice to get the month and year down.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
At age ten I financed my shooting addiction by shooting sparrows and grackles around my uncles farm. The 2 cents apiece bounty I earned kept me in .22 shorts (around 50 cents a box or less) plus an occasional box of LR's for "big" game. That little Remington 12C I used for my "control" work had a voracious appetite! The only rule was "no holes in the barn roof."

47 bazillion years later I still have that gun. A slew of higher quality .22's have come and gone but that 12C is a constant (along with a couple others). The bore is a candidate for a re-lining, and the buttstock needs serious attention/replaced, but it'll still keep a Campbell's soup can bouncing at 25 yds.

I know I'll stir up controversy, but I'll go so far as to say it ranks right along with the Winchester shuckers, and edges the Savages (with the exception of the Savage 29A which might be it's equal).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got my Grandpa's. Nice little gun. My Grandpa and Grandma used to keep it loaded in the closet of their house in east Dallas for whatever might turn up.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The rifle that gave me the "Gun Looney" virus was my Dad's Model 12 with octogen barrel and cresent butt plate. He bought it in 1922 in Ft. Byrd, NM. I found the receipt and the letter from Remington welcoming him to the Remington club. No telling how many 1000's of rounds I put through that gun until I had saved up enough lawnmowing money to buy me a slick Nylon 66 in Apache Black. Yes, I still have them, they are still my favorites, and shoot them when I'm not occupied with some slick new gun like the Browning T-Bolt that wandered in my door the other day.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got my Grandfather's Model 12, also. It's the model with the long, full octagon barrel, pistol grip and metal crescent butt plate. Which model would you call that?

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by CFVA
I've got my Grandfather's Model 12, also. It's the model with the long, full octagon barrel, pistol grip and metal crescent butt plate. Which model would you call that?

I've always just called it the model 12 cause that is what is stamped on my rifle. I think most 12A have the round barrel, but I might be wrong about that.

A note of caution for everyone though. When you dump the cartridges from the magizine tube and work the action, there is still one left in the lifter. I killed a really nice patio screen door that way.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
12A= straight grip, 12C= pistol grip. I think all of the early models had the octagon barrel.

I'll second the caution re: one round left in the carrier. My boo-boo was a hole through the bedroom door jamb into the bathroom door jamb. Freaked me out and made me super super safety conscious. Luckily the old man didn't freak out.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
12A= straight grip, 12C= pistol grip. I think all of the early models had the octagon barrel.

I'll second the caution re: one round left in the carrier. My boo-boo was a hole through the bedroom door jamb into the bathroom door jamb. Freaked me out and made me super super safety conscious. Luckily the old man didn't freak out.

Might be a good new thread. What part of your house have you shot and with what. Bet nearly everybody's got a story.. blush

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Remington Mocel 12 question and figured this would be a good thread for this.

One of my sisters has a fiancee with a Remington Model 12, I finally got around to checking the barrel code "BU" Per the Remington date code site, that translates to January 1927.

This got me curious about my own Model 12, so I got it out and, well, I am dumbfounded. Given the date codes start in 1921 and the 12's production range was 1909-1936, I think mine may well predate the code system.

So what do I have? Instead of two letters arranged horizontally, I have two that look like this:

M
-
J

Any ideas on this one?

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Mine predates the date code... serial number 228xxx....

Over 20 years ago I had told my wife I wanted a Remington 22 pump like my friend had growing up -- I meant a 572 -- she found a model 12 and bought it for me. Her and the gun are both keepers.

Paul

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,703
Posts18,494,295
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.