-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No amount of time will kill my objection to men wearing hats in a restaurant.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
No amount of time will kill my objection to men wearing hats in a restaurant.

I wear a hat just about everywhere, I have two huge cowlicks that I can't stand.

but I always try to open doors for every lady I can.
I always offer my seat to a women or elderly person too.

Last edited by bocephus; 12/14/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll tell you what never happened - WOMEN taking up the challenge to act the way gentlemen did pre-Feminism. Example, when was the last time a woman held the door open for a man to let them go through? Hell, they won't even bother to hold the door that little smidgen extra after they've gone through to let the next person through easier, man or woman. Or given up a seat on the bus? - forget it.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is chivalry dead?

No more dragons to fight. They never were common, but now they are all gone. Some women are evolved from dragons.

Bruce

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
it is alive and well in my little domain i have too sons that will also carry it into the future 13 and 9 they use yes sir and yes mam open doors and carry packages give up there seats on the bus for the elderly or female persons hell they even open and close the car door for me.

and belive me people do notice my boys get lots of praise from people.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ever hear the Jerry Clower story about 'women libbers'? It goes right along with this thread and like most Jerry Clower, is pretty funny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not dead, but unfortunately not common. I hold the door open for women, children and men, common curtousy. Even my kids seem to have figured it out, and as another posted mentioned, folks notice and compliment them occasionally.

Earlier this year I was going to a parents meeting for an activity my daughter is involved in. I was following another parent into the building, couldn't have been more than a few feet behind him and he let the door shut in my face. I figured either this guy is oblivious to people around him, or figures he's too important to care about others. Turns out he was our previous mayor, so I was probably right on both counts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by grouseman
... Example, when was the last time a woman held the door open for a man to let them go through? Hell, they won't even bother to hold the door that little smidgen extra after they've gone through to let the next person through easier, man or woman...

I've noticed that big difference between men and women. Men will usually (not always but a majority of the time) look to see if someone is passing through the door right behind them and will hold it open, whether for a man or woman and whether the man or woman is junior or senior to them - just a common courtesy to any person.

The majority of the time a woman will open a door, walk through and let it swing shut without ever checking to see if someone is coming through close after them. If they are aware someone is behind them the rate seems to be about 50/50 for holding it open or just walking through.

Probably just sexually differentiated socialization learned at an early age.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have been gittin doors for ladies of all ages all my life, not one has ever been rude, just nice smiles and thank you's.

Although I got kinda rude at a large funeral last summer when I had to tell a coupla 18-20? somethings to get up and give there seats to an old couple that could barely stand on there own....and yes I had already donated my seat, even though it was on pall bearers row.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last year I was on the tube in London... and the οΏ½carοΏ½ was full.

An older lady came on and had to stand so I gave her my seat...

I was the only guy to offer.

So if it is not dead it is real sick

but Women may have killed it

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B3

lhonda Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rmorgan736
it is alive and well in my little domain i have too sons that will also carry it into the future 13 and 9 they use yes sir and yes mam open doors and carry packages give up there seats on the bus for the elderly or female persons hell they even open and close the car door for me.

and belive me people do notice my boys get lots of praise from people.

Good on you, and them. And I too have gotten many comments, always positive, from women (especially women over 60) when opening and closing the truck door for my wife on the street. It's nice to see a smile and hear an old gal say something like, "I knew there still were some GENTLEMEN alive; well done!". I just wish the 18-35 crowd knew a lot more about having some class. But then I guess nothing can really substitute for a proper upbringing in that regard.

And good catch, Dennis. Sheeit. Who's he think he's BSing? wink grin

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Common decency applies to all sexes.

Common Courtesy as well

lhonda Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
^Agreed.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
If it is dead, the feminist movement should be your prime suspect.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny the women who killed it go on Jerry Springer to b!tch about it being dead. crazy

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm 28 and hold doors for a lot of woman. Did it 4 times yesterday in different stores when I was shopping. It really doesn't take any extra time, and I am normally not in that big of a hurry. Got a real nice smile out of one cutie yesterday because of it.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Saw my 23 year old son do the same,yesterday. It's not dead,it's simply tempered with PC which, of course, slowly kills it.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be careful, that's how they snare ya!!

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by lhonda
I was raised to stand up when a lady approaches a table, to offer my seat to any elderly folks or others needing a seat on a subway, open doors for women (both in buildings and cars), etc., etc. I'd wager most men here do too, but every day I see men with what I see is having no class. I can't remember the last time I saw a man picking up a woman in front of my building actually get out, take any bundles or bag from the woman, and open, then close her door.

Also, I was taught that when dropping of a woman, to wait and make certain she gets in the house/whatever before taking off. On a related note, the fact that common courtesy, civility and being polite is so rare. And before anyone mugs me, I've noticed it all around the country, not just in the Bean. I will say that the buddies I know from the south *consistently* have shown themselves to be gentlemen, and do themselves proud in this respect.

It annoys the freaking hell out of me, and I guess I see it as another indicator that in many ways, the US citizenry, the youth in particular, really have lost touch with some of the propern niceties in life.

I don't know if what you're talking about is truly chivalry or merely manners. Most of those things you mention I do for guys, too. At the same time it doesn't bother me if a gal holds a door for me. Or another guy. What I do, what I expect guys or gals to do, is recognize a considerate thing was done, express appreciation ("thank you"), otherwise not make a big fuss, and just move on.

Tom

Last edited by T_O_M; 12/14/10.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a MοΏ½bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by lhonda
I just wish the 18-35 crowd knew a lot more about having some class. But then I guess nothing can really substitute for a proper upbringing in that regard.

"Class" as you use it in this sentence (a societal level/station in life) is not derived from a proper upbringing, nor is it related to one's decorum.

Decorum (the conventions of polite behavoiur), decency, respect for others and ourselves comes from all walks of life, and is directly related to the teachings and examples set by those who reared and interacted with us during our formative years.

As for the 18 to 35 crowd, I have three children that fall into that category, and they are far from being without a sense of decorum, decency and respect for others and themselves. Don't wish anything more or less for them thank you.

Mind you they weren't raised to think themselves better than others, only better than those who prove by actions and words to be unworthy of their respect and friendship.

Lynn

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 21 invisible), 3,014 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,536,001
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.